Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-05, 09:48 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjeffnick
I can understand not wanting to hear Kathy's cues, but I think they'd help me too Mary.

One advantage these cds have over using your own music is the consistent bpm range. That way you have something helping you keep pace. Similar to using a treadmill, which makes you walk a certain speed. I know that when I walk now, I tend to start off very briskly but then I really start dragging. Since I don't wear a heart rate monitor the music is a helpful guide.

Mary, do you use a rebounder? I think these cds would be really helpful with that too.
haha, I'm the gadget queen. I have a rebounder, but use it only once in a while.

I agree that the consistent bpm is helpful. The Shape music is especially like that. Even when the songs change, the beats just flow. The dh even likes to turn up the Shape music when he's working out with the elliptical trainer.

I still, after all these years, like to hear ole Kathy Smith's motivational tips on occasion as well. It's not like she's talking the whole time, and no Megan, I don't think she ever says, "Put one foot in front of the other." LOL
Mary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 10:23 AM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
do you use a rebounder? I think these cds would be really helpful with that too.
Why did I read this thread? I would never have thought about getting walking CDs to use on my rebounder, but now I'm going to have to look into buying a few!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 10:46 AM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

I love premade walking tapes. I have a couple of mp3 players and one is specifically for walking--it's capacity is small and so it is tiny and light. I can throw on between 90 mins - 2 hours of walking music which is more than I need. I had many walking cassettes and I used CoolEdit to convert them to mp3s and then I just load whatever I'd like onto the player on my way out.

Faves include Kathy Smith's LeanWalk and WalkFit tapes. I also like Richard Simmons Take a Walk/Take A Hike but Richard's are for days when you're really moving pretty slowly. Richard is his silly self on these and I find it entertaining especially if I'm feeling down that day.

For days when I'm not in the mood for Richard or Kathy, I use a bpm calculator that is a free download here. Then I make my own playlists that start off slowly, increase speed, hold top speed for a while, and then slowly decrease just like my pre-made walking tapes do. I'm a pretty slow walker with short legs, so I start my tapes at around 120+ bpm and build to about 145. Anything faster that that and I'd have to run.

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 11:16 AM  
sgonzalez

Walking....

Thanks for all of the responses. It is great to have a community in which to post such questions!

Thanks again -
Stacey
sgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 02:24 PM  
chrisjeffnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa TV
I love premade walking tapes. I have a couple of mp3 players and one is specifically for walking--it's capacity is small and so it is tiny and light. I can throw on between 90 mins - 2 hours of walking music which is more than I need. I had many walking cassettes and I used CoolEdit to convert them to mp3s and then I just load whatever I'd like onto the player on my way out.

Faves include Kathy Smith's LeanWalk and WalkFit tapes. I also like Richard Simmons Take a Walk/Take A Hike but Richard's are for days when you're really moving pretty slowly. Richard is his silly self on these and I find it entertaining especially if I'm feeling down that day.

For days when I'm not in the mood for Richard or Kathy, I use a bpm calculator that is a free download here. Then I make my own playlists that start off slowly, increase speed, hold top speed for a while, and then slowly decrease just like my pre-made walking tapes do. I'm a pretty slow walker with short legs, so I start my tapes at around 120+ bpm and build to about 145. Anything faster that that and I'd have to run.

Lisa
Lisa, what mp3 player do you use for walking? I am such a techno-nerd. I don't even relaly know what an mp3 player is? I assume this is all part of that downloadable music stuff. Man, is my age showing! I thought I was so cool b/c I have a dvd player! Sigh!
chrisjeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 02:27 PM  
chrisjeffnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavtx
Why did I read this thread? I would never have thought about getting walking CDs to use on my rebounder, but now I'm going to have to look into buying a few!
I know! I hadn't considered it either till this thread.
chrisjeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 10:50 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

Quote:
Lisa, what mp3 player do you use for walking? I am such a techno-nerd. I don't even relaly know what an mp3 player is? I assume this is all part of that downloadable music stuff. Man, is my age showing! I thought I was so cool b/c I have a dvd player! Sigh!
I have a Creative Labs Nomad for walking. I've used it for yoga too when travelling. It's so light that when I clip it to my leggings and am upside down, it stays put. Mp3s are downloadable or you can make them from cds you already have.

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 11:06 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Me too Lisa. I love the nomad!!
Old 01-15-05, 11:26 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Target (at least the one near me) is selling 2-packs of Special K and Smart Start cereal with a Kathy Smith Walkfit CD included. So if you're a cereal eater, maybe that deal is worth looking for. I just bought the Smart Start pack but haven't opened it yet.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 03:02 AM  
horsemom2
VF Supporter

Gaiam Walking set

I just received the Gaiam Walking set that was on sale and it included a walking cd. Changes are I may be trading it if I don't find it useful for me.

Barb S
who walks with dh and has to listen to him LOL

http://neverendingplateau.blogspot.com/
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote