Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-14, 12:44 PM  
JessicaW

are there any other kundalini yoga dvds that have a cardio component

Besides Ravi and Ana's Dance the Chakras & Cardio Strength and Tone? Just trying to get both cardio and yoga in and it's hard when Ravi and Ana's workouts go on and on. I want to go on and on with them but I worry I am not getting my "steps" in, if you know what I mean.
I just did their new Cardio Strength and Tone for the first time and really enjoyed it. I got some cardio in but I also felt fantastic - rejuvenated and yoga-fied. So, I was hoping for more of the same.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 12:54 PM  
Sinclair

I only have RaviAna Kundalini workouts so I can only comment on them but I really enjoy Energy and Super Radiance - it has a warm-up, stretch and then a so-called Super Sets with Squats, Scissors and Jumping Jacks but all Kundalini-style with BOF. I really love that DVD! After the Super Sets there's another two exercises done for a really long time (I think 10 minutes each) but that's really nice as well and I find it addictive.

RaviAna's Bootcamp has some more Power Yoga like Flows so those might get up your Heartrate too.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 12:58 PM  
JessicaW

Thank you! That's very helpful information. I have that Energy and Super Radiance, too and have never done it. Will definitely be doing it this week
Old 04-12-14, 02:03 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Gurmukh's DVD from Gaiam has quite a strong cardio component IMO. Gloria Latham (on myyogaonline - streaming or downloads) is another instructor that favors pretty intense and cardio-oriented classes.

I also get a cardio effect with several KY practices from Kia Miller on YogaGlo, like Detox and Rejuvenate or Shake Up Your System.

I haven't done RaviAna's Warrior in a while but IIRC it has a solid cardio component as well.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 03:23 PM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Gurmukh's DVD from Gaiam has quite a strong cardio component IMO. Gloria Latham (on myyogaonline - streaming or downloads) is another instructor that favors pretty intense and cardio-oriented classes.

I also get a cardio effect with several KY practices from Kia Miller on YogaGlo, like Detox and Rejuvenate or Shake Up Your System.

I haven't done RaviAna's Warrior in a while but IIRC it has a solid cardio component as well.
Thanks, fuzzie! I don't have memberships to these sites anymore but did check out Gloria Latham. She's got that radiant beauty that seems to come from doing a lot of kundalini yoga. I wonder if that is all she does. Her legs are to be admired, too. One thing is, I do like music with my Kundalini. It kinda makes everything come together. Some of Gloria's stuff doesn't have music. Bud I had never heard of her and her workouts look nicely challenging. Thankyou.
Will also check out Kia.
Old 04-12-14, 03:30 PM  
sunday

The Mantra Girl dvds are very good and much more challenging, for me, than Ravi and Ana. She has two, and the music is outstanding!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 03:50 PM  
laurajhawk

There's a cardio component to Ravi & Ana's latest DVD, Happy Hormones.
I also agree with the recommendation of Gurmukh.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 04:00 PM  
JessicaW

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
There's a cardio component to Ravi & Ana's latest DVD, Happy Hormones.
I also agree with the recommendation of Gurmukh.
Oh, cool, didn't know that and I have that dvd, too. Happy Hormones and Super Radiance are going on my to do list.
Unfortunately, even though I also have Gurmukh and Mantra Girl, they give me a bit of a dread factor. Mantra Girl more than Gurmukh. I used to do Gurmukh's first dvd alot but it was challenging. I just have memories of having to hold my arms out and in uncomfortable positions to the point of torture in both. I guess we are supposed to get ourselves to where we welcome the torture but I haven't gotten there yet.
But I think I will re-look at Mantra Girl. I haven't dusted that one off in years.
Old 04-13-14, 01:25 AM  
Sinclair

Splendid... of course I had to read what others wrote and now I ordered both MantraGirl DVDs and two of Gurmukhs Spirit Voyage Yoga Festival DVDs. Has anyone tried those?
I'm not sure what to expect since I've only ever used RaviAnas but I feel burned out on them and even though I like them I dread doing them
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14, 02:44 AM  
marya

Cardio Ravianas

Shake Your Chakras, the dance segment of Dance the Chakras, has a cardio effect, as does the Five Tibetans segment of the first For Beginners and Beyond. If you're counting steps, neither workout will contribute many, but I do feel a cardio effect in terms of heart rate.

But the Gaiam Gurmukh workout is my favorite for kundalini cardio. For me, it is the most energizing of all my workouts (including non-kundalini), even when I can't manage to hold my arms up as long as Gurmukh does. An Amazon reviewer wrote: "This is from the 1977 slim and trim course taught by Yogi Bhajan...When Yogi Bhajan first taught this, everyone was surprised how different it was from his previous courses because it lacked the traditional postures. We actually learned this outside on a dirt driveway,and many refered to it as his exercise class or calisthenics...You can find the yoga manual that has all six sets from this course. The Book is called 'Slim & Trim Kundalini Exercises and Meditations especially for women'."
marya is offline   Reply With Quote