Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-29-13, 11:32 AM  
dela
VF Supporter

HWC, welcome! And hello Rhonda! Wow, HWC, your losses and fitness gains are amazing! I am really happy she put these on dvd, I have known about their books, but really prefer following along with a dvd over paper workouts.

It's funny you mention the rests are short, I am not familiar with her style, and initially thought they were too long since I am used to doing all dvds. But I am really just trusting in her approach, she clearly knows what she is talking about! I have to try to stay with her tempo and not get ahead of it on the reps too.
dela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 02:43 PM  
hwc

dela:

I think the key to these workouts is to go as heavy as you can and still finish each set with decent form, but a bit of a struggle on the last rep or two -- something I think you've said you've already discovered!
hwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 07:16 PM  
hwc

Second time out with Strength #2. Really enjoying these workouts.
Old 04-30-13, 08:22 AM  
dela
VF Supporter

Definitely agree HWC!

Last night, Monday, I was not able to get to my training at the gym. So I started week 4 with Phase 1 Countdown cardio, I started with the foam roll, and did most of the RAMP stretches during the 2 minute breaks in the cardio. It just seemed way too long to add it on, plus I wanted to get in a CS episode after.

Tonight I believe is Strength 2, but in the week 4 menu option, not even sure what changes this week!
Old 04-30-13, 02:16 PM  
hwc

I haven't looked far enough ahead to find out what accounts for the extra time in Week 4, but I'm guessing they add a third set of the strength tri-sets.
Old 04-30-13, 03:51 PM  
dela
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwc View Post
I haven't looked far enough ahead to find out what accounts for the extra time in Week 4, but I'm guessing they add a third set of the strength tri-sets.
Probably a good guess, I'll report back tonight.
Old 04-30-13, 06:49 PM  
dela
VF Supporter

Tonight was Week 4, Phase 1, Strength 2.

And Yes as hwc guessed, the extra 10 minutes comes from adding a third set to the strength circuits.

She had an extra tip in this one that really helped me on the step ups. She said something about making sure you activate your hip and focus on using it to pull you up to prevent your knee from turning in, or something to that effect, and as soon as she said it, I could feel the difference using the strength from my hip made.

Have a good night!
Old 05-01-13, 12:36 AM  
hwc

Yeah. I figured out the hip in the step ups doing them with pretty heavy weights -- kind of like a vertical farmer's carry. My hips/glutes were always sore after that.

With these 30-rep sets of step ups, it's all I can do to finish them. Forget the heavy weights. I was doing 6 rep sets (12 total) a few weeks ago with two 40 lb DBs. Now, I'm using two 20 lb DBs and just hanging on at the end. This is one exercise where I'm finishing about the same time as the video. I saw 92% of my max heart rate on these yesterday.

"Rest day" for me today. Really nice spring weather here in New England (first day of shorts weather), so I went out for a leisurely 5K walk/jog. Run to 85% heart rate, walk to 70%, rinse and repeat for 5K. I am NOT, nor will I ever be a runner...
Old 05-01-13, 02:59 PM  
wellnesswife
VF Supporter

Hi enjoying Rachel's workouts! Technically on Day 12..trying to follow eating plan too! Its pretty simple foods! Just finished Strength 2. I really love the strength work. And Rachel's smart doing abs at beginning...also the finisher is a nice touch! Not a fan of mountain climbers but proud of myself! Used 30 lb barbell for dead lifts & step ups. Feels more comfortable with barbell. And 20 lb dumbbell for back work...although struggled on last reps! Have a great day everyone

Do you feel strong doing this? I do! (KCM)
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 03:16 PM  
dela
VF Supporter

Erica, I couldn't agree more with the abs comment, I probably have never done as much consistent ab work before, I usually skip it at the end.

Funny you mentioned the mountain climbers, yesterday, I just could not stomach them, so I did fast jumping jacks instead.

HWC, hope you enjoyed your walk/run!

I am debating what to do today, I usually go to my boxing class, but I'm trying not to mess around too much with this cut on my finger (that I am probably over reacting to), but may just opt for something else tonight. At a minimum, I will do a Classical Stretch episode.

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, rachel cosgrove