Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-13, 09:18 AM  
Loric

Joyce Vedral

Does anyone out there still use Joyce Vedral for weight training? I bought a few of her dvds a few years ago but never really explored them fully. Just wondering if it's worth the time. I tend to like non-compound simple lifting moves. Would love to hear if anyone had good success. I did do a search but most of the threads were older.
TIA!!
Loric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 10:33 AM  
txfitmom

I still use them a lot. I go through cycles of using Joyce videos and then get burned out and try something else for a while, then end up coming back again because I cannot find good videos that are just simple moves and get the job done. She is a little quirky and you have to be careful with a lot of her exercises because she tends to move quickly, but they can be a lot tougher than they appear. I was at least 5-7 pounds lighter when I was doing her workouts on a daily basis. I like that she has shorter options too, 15 min, 20 min, 30 min, etc.

Recently I was doing a rotation with Joyce Vedral and Jessica Smith walking/fusion workouts and I really like this combination. Even though Joyce only uses more traditional exercises for the abs, I feel like I get pretty good results with her ab workouts. I guess it is just all the reps.

I have a couple of her books as well, never tried her workouts in that format, so that is next on my list to try.

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:09 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Can either of you recommend your favorites of hers? I would like to try her workouts. I prefer total body weight routines (I don't know if she does splits or not). TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:13 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
Even though Joyce only uses more traditional exercises for the abs, I feel like I get pretty good results with her ab workouts. I guess it is just all the reps.
I love her Just Abs! video. Day 2 (20 minutes) is my favorite ab workout and I do it almost every day.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:28 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
I still use them a lot. I go through cycles of using Joyce videos and then get burned out and try something else for a while, then end up coming back again because I cannot find good videos that are just simple moves and get the job done. She is a little quirky and you have to be careful with a lot of her exercises because she tends to move quickly, but they can be a lot tougher than they appear. I was at least 5-7 pounds lighter when I was doing her workouts on a daily basis. I like that she has shorter options too, 15 min, 20 min, 30 min, etc....
ITA! Two years ago I was doing a combination of Joyce's Bottoms Up Gold (upper body), rebounding and walking outside for cardio, and some qi gong for flexibility. I felt great and was 30 lbs lighter than I am now. Of course, most of that was diet, but I was starting to see some nice definition in my arms and abs, and I think Joyce's pyramid system had a lot to do with that.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:41 AM  
Loric

[QUOTE=summer breeze;2188371]Can either of you recommend your favorites of hers? I would like to try her workouts. I prefer total body weight routines (I don't know if she does splits or not). TIA[/QUOT

Yes I'm interested in hearing others favs too. These are the ones I have...Definition, Bottoms Up Gold, Cougar workout, & Complete Nonstop/dynamic tension.
I've only tried Definition, the 30-min upper body routine. I remember liking it, although Joyce really went fast.
Loric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 11:46 AM  
Sissy B

Joyce does divide her workouts into Upper Body and Lower Body (with the occasional Middle Body thrown in - back and abs) but you could do the entire workout to get a total body workout. I prefer doing Joyce's workouts as splits.

Some of my favorites are the Just Joyce series and Speedy NonStop. I have recently gotten Cougar, Bottoms Up Gold Plus and Quick Quartet but I haven't tried any of these yet.

I get almost immediate results in my upper body with Joyce's workouts, haven't really seen that with her lower body workouts. But, BUG+ was recommended on another thread as being really good for the lower body and producing results - which is why I ordered it. I do like the lower body work from On the Ball.

I have been sick so I haven't been working out lately but I have been thinking about pulling Joyce's workouts back out when I start again.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 12:37 PM  
txfitmom

I actually find that I prefer the workouts she did with her daughter a little better because she helps her keep count on the reps a little better!

I like Slow Duet, Quick Quartet, and On the Ball for quick workouts. All 3 of these have upper and lower body splits with each workout around 15 min or you can combine both lower and upper on one day and do a 30 min workout.

I also like Fast Forward (she claims Martha got in shape after her pregnancy with these exercises) - it has a 3 day split with a lot of extra ab work:
-FF Cycle 1 - 33 min (back, chest, and stomach)
-FF Cycle 2 - 27 min (hip-butt, shoulders, calves)
-FF Cycles 3 and Abs - 34 min and 6 min (thighs, triceps, and biceps)
-Gut, Love Handles, Pooch Busters - 22 min

I like the premixes on Bottoms Up Gold, here is what I wrote down for this one:
-Upper Body and Abs - upper body segment 43 min and abs segment 15-20 min
-Lower Body and Back - 45 min
-Chest and Shoulder Super Sets - 15 min
-Biceps and Triceps Super Sets - 21 min
-Thigh and Hip/Buttock Super Sets - 33 min
-Back and Calves Super Sets - 11 min
-Abdominals - 14 min

I also like Complete Nonstop and Dynamic Tension it has lots of options as well:
-NonStop Workout Day 1 (chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, and calves) (23 min)
-NonStop Workout Day 2 (legs, hips, butt, back and abs) (27 min)
-Dynamic Tension Workout Days 1 and 4 (chest, triceps, and shoulders) (14 min)
-Dynamic Tension Workout Days 2 and 5 (thighs, hip-butt, and abs) (14 min)
-Dynamic Tension Workout Days 3 and 6 (back, biceps, and calves) (10 min)
-Dynamic Tension Workout Days 7 (extra abs and hips/butt) (10 min)

I think it was Definition that was one of the hardest workouts for me. The pyramids on that DVD are no joke!

I have a lot of her workouts, but most of them I have not rotated through in a while, so I cannot remember all of them that well. I found some rotations that were in old posts on VF if anyone needs any and she also has some on her website.

Just an FYI, don't buy Vedral workouts without waiting for her sales. Lately I have been getting a lot of emails from her about buy 2 get 2 free, etc. Next time I get an email I will post it in the bargain section.

Here is the Everything Joyce thread: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...threadid=23916

Dreams aren't just dreams, they are goals that can be achieved.
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 02:51 PM  
firmiewannabe

I think this thread is going to make me bring out a Joyce workout dvd! I've been on a FIRM kick lately so Joyce will jazz it up some. The FIRM seems to be doing a good job on my lower body. Joyce may be able to help out more on my upper body.

When I first tried Joyce, I did a lot of research to narrow down the dvds I would purchase. I had heard about her sometimes going to fast or miscounting on sides.

I did buy her Just Joyce series plus Bottoms Up Gold. The Just Joyce is a great pyramids workout with her daughter counting so it's not super fast. She doesn't do compound moves either which I really like. I have found that during compound moves I must not be coordinated enough or something? It always feels like only part of it gets worked and the other part not so much?

Of the dvds you have listed, I agree with the above poster that there are really good premixes on the Bottoms Up Gold dvd. If you want to try one out, maybe just try a premix see if it grows on you?

I like the fact that she is "older" and is in great shape. Is she making any new workouts?
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 02:55 PM  
Susan

I have always enjoyed Joyce's workouts, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who didn't already use correct form, because Joyce's form sometimes leaves a lot to be desired, and she also seems to be really flailing the weights around during certain exercises.

That said, I think her workouts are effective, and I get a kick out of her personality.

Tags
joyce vedral, joyce vedral rotations