Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-11, 12:25 PM  
Sara1000

Psoas Muscle?

Someone mentioned Leslie's workouts aggravate the psoas muscle - I would like to hear more about this as I think I might have the same problem (after Googling it).

I have been having a problem with my lower left side front and back since I started doing a Leslie mile every day, but I didn't see how such mild workouts would be causing it.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 12:35 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Thanks, Sara, for asking this. I'm curious, too. While I can't attribute it to doing a Leslie 5 mile yesterday (could have been Katami's 4x4 or just me!), I did notice I was very tight in my hips/lower back this morning.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 12:38 PM  
EnglishIvy

The psoas muscle is a hip flexor (involved in helping you bring your leg forward/up as when marching in place). Walking in place typically requires greater strain on the psoas because people tend to lift their knees higher (to increase intensity) than they do in regular walking. Also, when you are walking at a normal pace, you actually get a bit of hip flexor stretch when the leg goes back (extension). You don't get that so much when you are walking in place. If your job involves a lot of sitting, the psoas muscles tend to shorten/tighten and this can make then more vulnerable to strain. Since the psoas muscles attach to the lower back, this can also cause back pain. Consistent stretching can often prevent aggravations. HTH.

Psoas muscles

Psoas stretch #1

Psoas stretch #2

Psoas stretch #3
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 12:56 PM  
dbclark44

Ivy, thanks for posting the pics of the stretches. They help to better understand what the muscle is by feeling it when you stretch brings it more into focus for me.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 12:56 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Thank you, E.I.

I sit all day and already struggle with this. I may have to rethink my Leslie Sansone rotation this month, or at least alternate it with outdoor walking and use the stretches you just shared.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 01:21 PM  
Jean@125

I have increased my Leslie's a lot over the last couple of weeks and the past 2 days my lower back has been hurting. I was thinking it was the knee lifts that I tend to do very high. I didn't think about the marching being part of the problem. This bums me out I love Leslie much more than the treadmill or walking outside when it is cold.
Jean@125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 01:29 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125 View Post
I have increased my Leslie's a lot over the last couple of weeks and the past 2 days my lower back has been hurting. I was thinking it was the knee lifts that I tend to do very high. I didn't think about the marching part being part of the problem. This bums me out I love Leslie much more than the treadmill or walking outside when it is cold.
I'm the one who posted about having issues with Leslie's workouts and my psoas. I stopped doing Leslie's workouts after doing them twice because they overwork my psoas. As I said, I walk a lot and normal walking, even hiking, does not overwork that muscle the way Leslie's workouts did. One thing we were taught in yoga teacher training was some anatomy--since the psoas attaches to the vertebrae in the lower back, tight or overworked psoas can be a cause of low back pain as well as other issues.

Thanks, English Ivy, for posting the exercises. I do lots of stretches for that muscle and am having no further problems, but I am careful about workouts or exercises that overwork the psoas.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 01:44 PM  
daisysunshine

iiliposas's mortal enemy: Miranda Esmonde White.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 01:55 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

Katy Bowman blogged about the psoas this week as well...

http://www.alignedandwell.com/?optio...ess&Itemid=223

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 02:41 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean@125 View Post
I have increased my Leslie's a lot over the last couple of weeks and the past 2 days my lower back has been hurting. I was thinking it was the knee lifts that I tend to do very high. I didn't think about the marching being part of the problem. This bums me out I love Leslie much more than the treadmill or walking outside when it is cold.
Regular stretching might take care of the problem completely so I would definitely experiment before tossing Leslie (quite the the visual LOL) High knee lifts (especially high rep) are definitely more of a strain than marching so you might consider doing slower/lower knee lifts and see if that helps. Also, it's very important to consciously brace your core when you lift your knees high. When your psoas muscle contracts (during the knee lift) it can "pull" your lower back inward and over-exaggerate the natural curve there. If you brace your core, it helps to prevent your pelvis from tipping forward and gives more stability to the lumbar spine as you contract the psoas-- that reduces the strain on the lower back. As I recall, Leslie does give sporadic reminders to brace the core but it becomes even more important if you experience low back pain.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliopsoas bursa, leslie sansone, leslies, psoas, walking workouts