Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-11, 09:20 PM  
Wendy G

Julia Roberts/Kathy Kaehler/Oprah's Favorite Things

I read an article online tonight about today's Oprah Show which featured Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks and their "Favorite Things" which they gave away to the audience.

One of Julia's favorite things was the "Kathy Kaehler Fitness System" DVD. I have heard of Kathy Kaehler but haven't done any of her workouts and thought this was a new DVD. When I looked it up online, I noticed that it was originally released in 1992!!

I then went to youtube to see if there were any clips, and saw that it featured Kathy working out with such "stars" as Tawny Kitaen, Jami Gertz and Penelope Ann Miller! Of course the music, outfits and hairstyles are completely outdated. The step choregraphy (from what I saw) was nothing more than basic up and down steps with their arms flapping up and down.

I thought it was so strange that Julia would think that a workout made almost 20 years ago would be so fabulous that people would actually want to use it. Seriously???? For those of you who have or have done this workout, what do you think of Julia's choice?
Wendy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:06 PM  
fatkat555

If she's a closet videot, I don't find her choice odd at all. She's my age and one of my favorite things is Firm Vol. 1 - the hairstyles are outdated as well.

Now if the goal is to give people what *they* would find a favorite, I might find it an odd choice. I don't watch Oprah's show so I'm a little out of the loop.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:08 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I saw that part of the show. She said something about doing the video since "The Pelican Brief". They showed a clip and I think she said something about it lifts your butt if you keep doing it.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:31 PM  
Just_Jo

I've never heard of it, but my thoughts immediately went to The FIRM also. Love them, I don't care how old they are. I guess in some cases, oldies are goodies. Will check out Julia's choice on You Tube now.
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-11, 11:42 PM  
jhardy

I had this video many years ago and LOVED IT!! I recently purchased it again for my mom since we both thought it was a great workout. I haven't done it in years but remember it was one of my favorites.
Jen
jhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 07:44 AM  
Gatorfan76

Talking

I may spring for this DVD, I've had the VHS forever and it is actually a pretty great workout.

The step moves are all simple and athletic so it transferred very well to the BOSU.

Also, it's worth it for the toning sections on the DVD- there's a upper/lower compound toning section, a 5 min. all push up section, leg floorwork, and abs.
The stretch section was pretty good too

I think the whole workout if done together was 100 minutes- so hopefully the DVD is chaptered.
Old 05-07-11, 09:16 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

This was my first workout video ever. I did at least three sections of it every day for months - usually the step sections with Jamie Gertz, Justine Bateman and Julianne Phillips. When it got to the point where I remembered everything that they said, I just turned down the talking and did the workout on mute or to music.

What a blast from the past!
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 11:07 AM  
lorajc

is it available on DVD? I used to have it and yes, I loved it
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 12:34 PM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy G View Post
I thought it was so strange that Julia would think that a workout made almost 20 years ago would be so fabulous that people would actually want to use it. Seriously???? For those of you who have or have done this workout, what do you think of Julia's choice?
I think it shows that that's the last exercise video she has any positive recollection of. She works out with an expensive personal trainer or in an exclusive club where the public doesn't bother her every 2 minutes. She tried to recommend something to the folks at home. Hey, she did her best.
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 01:22 PM  
Gatorfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
is it available on DVD? I used to have it and yes, I loved it
They had it up on Oprah's website -- www.kathykaehler.net

it was $ 14.99 yesterday when I bought it-- it just went up to $ 24.99 !!

I guess it's the Oprah effect, her website must have been flooded so she decided to raise the price

Tags
actors workout regimen, kathy kaehler, oprah