Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-11, 11:06 AM  
woodie

How do you compare Amy and Seasun?

An earlier step post made me think of trying Seasun out again. I can't remember the reason I didn't click with her before but I also didn't click with Amy right away either so it might be worth a second try. How do you compare Amy and Seasun?

Thanks and Happy New year!

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 11:17 AM  
lorajc

they both confuse the Heck out of me!! but at least Seasun seems to break down the moves - albeit slow.....but Amy just goes for it!! I usually end up having to do my own version of Amy's cuz I'll never get them without break down.

Seasun, on the other hand, can be learned for me with LOTs and I mean lots of practice and pausing, etc.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 11:43 AM  
mtnmom

Seasun works the moves in short increments. There's still plenty of pivots and turns, but she layers them in. In other words, she'll start with something that's kind of basic and then change it with different rhythm patterns or turns. She'll build each combo up a few moves at a time.

Amy will call out a series of about five moves and then when you are doing them, will add another five as you go. Then you'll be in a holding pattern. She'll repeat things quite a bit so you do eventually catch on. She'll usually do the first half of a combo and get you to learn that, then add the last half of the combo.

I find Seasun's method of cueing much easier to follow, but that doesn't mean either of them is easy.
Old 01-01-11, 12:02 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

I have limited experience with Seasun (RSS and Straight Up Step) and Amy (ASC 2), so my opinion is based on those workouts.

Seasun cues very well. She usually layers, so you can stick with a base move if the harder option doesn't suit. Her choreo, especially in Straight Up Step, reminds me quite a bit of that of Christi and Rob Glick, which helped me "get" Seasun a little easier. I find that RSS is a little more intense, and the choreo is a little more difficult than SUS. Both are fun workouts.

ASC 2 was a bear for me to learn, and I only kept trying because I love Amy--she has terrific energy and her choreo is creative and fun. IMO, Amy cues the moves as she would to a class that is already familiar with the routine--she just throws it all out there at once. It did help to use the preview section that Amy provided for some of her trickier moves, but without knowing exactly how those moves fit into the combos it still took me forever to learn the combos. Once learned, ASC 2 is great fun, and fairly intense.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 12:03 PM  
lisa122

They are both complex. I have to learn their routines section by section before I can do the workout as a whole. As much as I love Amy, I think Seasun's routines flow better once you get them down.

Amy sometimes confuses me as to which foot I should be starting with because she may throw in a transitional jack (whereas with Seasun, it is just automatic because of the previous move.) I hope this makes sense to you.

With this being said, I use Amy's workouts more. I have more fun with Amy. Her workouts are also intense without the dread factor.

Good Luck. It takes awhile to wrap one's head around complex choreography, but once you learn that first step routine, it does become easier.

Lisa
lisa122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 02:05 PM  
mj476

I think Seasun's is more complex than Amy but I think Seasun is a better cuer so it's easier to learn from Seasun. Out of all of Amy's step, I found ASC3 the easiest to learn. Seasun's Stepping Up is my hardest step DVD but is so worth learning and I love the music in that one. I think Amy throws out too much at once without enough breakdown. Seasun throws it out in shorter chunks and is easier to follow.

Marcy
Old 01-01-11, 03:57 PM  
woodie

Thanks for the comments thus far!! Is Seasun dancey? I know Amy is athletic and I love her music. how does Seasun compare?

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 04:58 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
they both confuse the Heck out of me!! but at least Seasun seems to break down the moves - albeit slow.....but Amy just goes for it!! I usually end up having to do my own version of Amy's cuz I'll never get them without break down.

Seasun, on the other hand, can be learned for me with LOTs and I mean lots of practice and pausing, etc.
Ditto! They both have complicated choreography but Seasun seems to do a better job with the cuing. Season is also more down to business in my opinion while Amy has more of a let's have fun attitude.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy bento, seasun zieger