Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-10, 11:03 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Has anyone lost weight with menopause?

I have lost some weight (10 lbs) in the last few months, largely without trying. At the same time I developed insomnia (waking up hot but without night sweats) and feel like I'm either hot or cold throughout the day, and have less of an appetite..... but I still eat plenty!

I had bloodwork done, and my gyne says I'm in menopause (I turn 46 next month), but the weight loss is not what I expected to be part of that scenario.

I've been super busy lately, and maybe somewhat stressed, but I don't think that accounts for all of the weight loss. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks in advance!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 11:36 AM  
cmarsh4

Actually I am just the opposite. My Dr. says that I am in perimenopause and I have poured on the pounds in the last year some of it can be blamed on not as clean eating and consistency in exercise as I should have been doing but about 15-20 pounds just came on for no reason. I think everyone's situation and the reaction of their body to menopause is different.
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 11:53 AM  
bk1

I experienced weight loss when I was hyperthyroid. But since you had blood work done, that should have picked up that condition. I'm 49, peri-menopausal, and my weight's pretty much been holding steady for the past few years, after getting my thryoid treated.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 12:08 PM  
JustSandra

I've lost weight since hitting menopause -- very gradually (maybe a pound a month) for a total of around 15 pounds at this point. I'm currently at my lowest "natural" adult weight (meaning achieved without consciously restricting any food intake), and I'm still continuing to lose. I'm still about 15 lbs. overweight.

The loss is probably due to several factors, the biggest of which is my hormones settling down! But I now work a job that is more active and less stressful. Also, while I still have a sweet tooth, I don't binge like I used to (like eating a whole bag of cookies in one day). I've always worked out reasonably consistently, but those workouts are now less intense, which may also have affected my appetite. Now I eat what I want, but try to make healthful choices and I feel satisfied with less.

As long as your energy is good, you are eating enough, and your blood work is okay, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 12:28 PM  
Demeris

I'm 53 (very close to 54) and in peri-menopause. I still get my monthly period, with all the attendant PMS and break outs, but I also get hot flashes and the occasional night sweats and insomnia.

I am currently re-losing some weight, but it takes effort for me, diet and exercise, although diet is probably 90-95% of the issue. I'm a size 8 (at 5'8") and know I will be healthier at a size 6.

Truly, I hope that my hormones settle down once I'm through with this nonsense, AND I hope that I won't have to work so hard at eating the right things (because any time I eat crap, it's hormonally related!!!!!).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 12:39 PM  
dlb

Nope

I've gained. Not sure if any difference from natural menopause from surgical menopause. I had a hysterectomy 6 months ago - everything removed. I was no allowed to begin exercising until 3 months post surgery. For me, it has been a struggle getting back to a routine I once had.

Debbie
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 01:30 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Not here. 20 pounds packed on with no change in diet or exercise habits during perimenopause. I'm also slowly losing that weight now I'm out the other side but still have about 12 to go. Everyone's response is totally different, it seems.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 01:32 PM  
videofit

Nothing changed that much for me. I still gain when I eat too much and lose when I eat less. I am on natural thyroid / female hormones which makes a big difference in my physical and emotional well being.

I suspect women who aren't on hormones gain weight because they aren't sleeping well and when we are tired we all tend to eat more for energy. Unbalanced hormones also unbalance the emotions and I believe most women are emotional eaters (I am), so that could very well be another cause of weight gain.
Old 12-11-10, 01:32 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I wish!

Nope, not me.

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 01:37 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I wish, too!

That is so not what I'm going through. I've gained five to seven pounds and it will not go away even with dietary changes. I would love to call a ten pound weight loss a symptom of perimenopause!

But I guess maybe you don't need to be losing?

Tags
menopause