Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-10, 02:28 AM  
DawnP
VF Supporter
 
DawnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Free Pure Barre workout routine (PDF) from Women's Health - no barre required!

Women's Health mag published a Pure Barre workout routine by Carrie
Rezabek
on their website that does not require a barre.

Enjoy!
__________________
Dawn P.
DawnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 03:27 AM  
editstein
VF Supporter
 
editstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Genoa, It
Thanks Dawn, I just saved it ! Another barre workout I won't use but at least I didn't pay for it !
__________________
Samantha

A good coach will push you beyond your mental boundaries, not your physical ones - Samantha
Don't let your past failures and weaknesses define you, use them to refine you
Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony - Mahatma Gandhi

DISCLOSURE: CKT and IKFF V.P. Married to a video instructor. Peace
editstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 06:01 AM  
in paris
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: we're not in paris anymore, toto
Thank you, Dawn!

I've been doing other stuff lately, but will definitely add these in today
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 11:03 AM  
Raphig
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Thanks! I was going to buy this magazine today just for this article after reading about it in Carrie's email. You saved me a few bucks.

Terri
Raphig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 11:34 AM  
Muria
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by editstein View Post
Thanks Dawn, I just saved it ! Another barre workout I won't use but at least I didn't pay for it !

I've been sick lately, so every time I laugh, I end up having a coughing fit. Thanks for the coughing fit!



I haven't done any barre routines before. Would this give me a good idea of whether I'd like it, or should I just give up and buy one to try already?
__________________
Suzette
Muria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 11:43 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muria View Post
I haven't done any barre routines before. Would this give me a good idea of whether I'd like it, or should I just give up and buy one to try already?
Just give up and buy one to try already

The magazine article gives you a good idea of the position but I find it is difficult to really "get" the movement from a picture. I really enjoy the PB workouts but the camera angles are not the best for a newbie (although the tutorials are pretty good) so I would recommend the newer Bar Method workouts - great instructions.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 11:25 PM  
Muria
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
I feel enabled now. I was looking at the Bar Method workouts as my plunge in (it's the $30 for 2 dvds that's looking pretty good). How do they compare to Callanetics? I did the original Callanetics ages ago, and it really worked muscles I didn't know I had, but it was REALLY slow going (feel free to read that as "boring"). I think it was the counter that went on forever while I was holding a fairly uncomfortable position that did it.
__________________
Suzette
Muria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 12:06 PM  
inertia6
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montana
No stretches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Just give up and buy one to try already

The magazine article gives you a good idea of the position but I find it is difficult to really "get" the movement from a picture. I really enjoy the PB workouts but the camera angles are not the best for a newbie (although the tutorials are pretty good) so I would recommend the newer Bar Method workouts - great instructions.
There are no stretches given though... I thought that was part of the main premise of barre - strengthen, then stretch...? I think I know enough about barre workouts now to do my own stretches, but I saw this article and thought "Cool" then "but wait a minute...?" I have never done any Pure Barre, to be honest.
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 01:36 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia6 View Post
There are no stretches given though... I thought that was part of the main premise of barre - strengthen, then stretch...? I think I know enough about barre workouts now to do my own stretches, but I saw this article and thought "Cool" then "but wait a minute...?" I have never done any Pure Barre, to be honest.
You are right - barre workouts typically include stretching after working each muscle group. The amount of stretching varies across DVDs. For instance, the original Pure Barre workout had fewer, rushed stretches whereas the Pershing Square set has nice, deliberate and thorough stretches throughout. Bar Method, Fluidity and Core Fusion also have lots of stretching. I find I need to add additional stretching when I do Physique 57 and Cardio Barre.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 12:23 PM  
inertia6
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
You are right - barre workouts typically include stretching after working each muscle group. The amount of stretching varies across DVDs. For instance, the original Pure Barre workout had fewer, rushed stretches whereas the Pershing Square set has nice, deliberate and thorough stretches throughout. Bar Method, Fluidity and Core Fusion also have lots of stretching. I find I need to add additional stretching when I do Physique 57 and Cardio Barre.
Thanks Fuzzie - I've come to the same conclusion for several of those you mentioned. (I also noticed that you're an Ellen Barrett fan - so am I! Guess there are lots of us, but she doesn't get mentioned too often...) I bought a Fluidity barre off craigslist last weekend and am LOVING all of my barre workouts even more. I didn't get the Intermediate or Advanced DVDs with it though, so I'm trying to find those elsewhere. I ponied up for the Real Class 4-in-1 DVD, and customer service said the two older workouts would be available in 3-4 weeks...

I'll still keep the Women's Health article for travel... Just making sure I didn't miss anything. It is nice to have the moves written out - I could do these out in the woods on a camping trip, eh?!

Happy Valentine's Day!
inertia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2009 Video Fitness