Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-09, 07:15 AM  
FitForever

Are Barre Workouts Enough for Weight Loss?

I'm loving my new Fluidity Bar & have rediscovered my other Barre workouts.

But...I'd like to lose about 15#. Could I do it with clean(er) eating & JUST doing Barre workouts? My thinking is kind of old school, so I believe losing weight without cardio probably won't happen. Maybe mixing it up or alternating days would work better for weight loss? I'm just not sure what to do.

For all of you Barre workout enthusiasts, what is your experience?
FitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 07:31 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I, like you, have just acquired Fluidity and am really loving barre workouts. I have several barre w/o and have never gotten into them before because using back of chair for support simply isn't the same. I'm really surprised by how much I enjoy them and how great I feel afterwards.

After just 3 workouts, I can honestly feel the difference in my body. I feel more supple, leaner and stronger, something I could never tell after doing just cardio, weights or combination of both.

I have been adding about 30 min of cardio before I do Fluidity and feel that it's really working for me. I am also adding 2 strength training sessions (30min) on the other 2 days. I have to say that Fluidity barre has been my best fitness purchase to date.
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:32 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

If you're like me then no, you'll need some cardio. Maybe not as much as you're thinking, maybe not even rigorous cardio, it probably depends on how active you are in your day. But I would suggest adding in some walking and see how it goes. It would also be good for your heart and your endurance.

As far as weight loss, if you're aiming for that 500-1000 daily calorie deficit to get a respective 1 to 2 pound weight loss/week, it's going to be much harder on you to get it with only burning 100-250 daily with your barre workout (at least that's what I burn anyway with barre. A little more with Squeeze Stronger).

Good luck! I'm working on losing weight now too.
Sarah-lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:39 AM  
woodie

I lost a lot of inches using Squeeze (just under 15 inches in 12 weeks) but no actual weight loss. Clothes were looser and I looked great, but the scale actually went up. So if you are concerned with the sale, barre work ddn't work for me.

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 09:31 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Eating is the key. If you have a negative calorie balance at the end of the day, you'll lose weight.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 09:31 AM  
muddjeansgal

I have been doing a barre/walking rotation for about 3 weeks now and I am down 3 pounds. I walk 30-45 minutes 3-4 days a week and do either Squeeze, SqS, Total Body Lift, Slim Sculpt or Bar Method 3 days a week.
I feel my muscles are well worked and feel good.
(I've also been working on my eating as well).
I love these workouts and how they work the muscles in a new way than traditional weight training.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 10:06 AM  
Stephanie_B

For me it's unfortunately boils down to diet. Now I *do* lose weight faster with just barre work, mild yoga and the like--because high intensity for me does equate to retaining water and eating more.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 12:33 PM  
cardio.junkie

It also depends on what you were doing prior to starting barre workouts. If you were sitting on your butt doing nothing, then chances are more likely for you to lose weight. Diet is the #1 key in losing weight though. Exercise helps, but diet is #1. Anyway, if you were doing some hardcore cardio workouts and switched to barre, chances would be less likely for you to lose weight.
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 06:06 PM  
pbnj

I had good results alternating between the original Pure Barre and 30 mins of treadmill walking on an incline every other day. In about a month, I lost an inch of each thigh, but it was only a pound. It was enough to be noticeable by other people. I have to say that I was also counting calories.
pbnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 12:22 AM  
tan3374

It essentially comes down to calories in calories out - I need higher intensity workouts and cardio to really shift the pounds (and a clean diet too.) I tend do do barre workouts as a supplement rather than the main workout. It depends on body type too - I don't build muscle easily so lower rep higher weight exercises seem to have more effect on my body type.
I did do a Pure Barre/ Exhale Spa rotation a while back and had good results, but for me barre workouts are not as time effective as more traditional weights/ cardio workouts in achieving my particular goals - build muscle/ lose fat. Its a shame because I love doing them.
tan3374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stairs