Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-08, 09:19 PM  
Tish

I admit I was skeptical, okay pessimistic, about this workout when I got it. Sure, it has survived a couple of decades when others haven't. I figured if you do any workout consistently you'll get results w/ a good diet. I also thought this was more of what I've seen in other workouts, which is somewhat true, but it's more.....

It creates buns that cry in pain and beg for the torture to end! How can this not have a dread factor when my butt wanted to jump off?! I was actually looking forward to giving it another go. I wanted to see if I could get through it easier than I did yesterday. Ha! Two days in a row was a baaaaaad idea!

Forgive me, Greg Smithey, for my unbelief. And I know all you diehards are shaking your heads at me because you knew Winsor B&T really doesn't compare to this. I'm going to do this workout until my MIL tells me my butt is lifted just like Erin's!

BTW, I really don't have any association with the producer of this workout; I'm not even sure I like the workout right now because I'm having to sit so gently on my aching rear.
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 12:02 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Never tried this workout - so how different is this really from the lower body floorwork in Jane Fonda's Workout (which I think the brief YouTube clips resemble), or Margaret Richard, GWW, and/or Firm Vol 1? If I have & use those, why would I need this?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 08:00 PM  
erin4425

Smile

It is unfortunate that the Youtube clips of OBOS are so brief. They are fun to watch, but if you have never seen OBOS in its entirety, you are missing out! If the Youtube clips were longer, you would see that this workout is in a league all its own! From what I know, Greg Smithey was a pole-vaulter and based this workout on what he learned from his pole-vaulting days (read the back of my old VHS version years ago and found that out). You can imagine how such atletes use and rely their lower half! So, this workout really works the buns, thighs, and legs hard. It makes them stronger and tighter. Over the years, I have continually found that Original Buns of Steel pays special attention the lower half...and I have found that many other workouts (that claim to work your buns the best) don't!
erin4425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 08:15 PM  
Gardengirl

Lucky, I have some of the Jane Fondas and haven't pulled them out in years. I guess I should so I could compare them to BOS. I think the thing I like about BOS is that it's got all the floorwork in one "chapter" (although technically it isn't chaptered too well). You can do a 25 minute workout that's all floorwork, it's challenging, but not so hard that you can't get through it. GWW seemed to have a dread factor for me, I can't remember if it was too long or too many reps or what, but I didn't feel that way about BOS from the first time I did it. I've always had a hard time "relating" to the classic Firm workouts. Just never clicked with me. I like Margaret's workouts, but the ones I have intersperse upper and lower work and might be a 30 minute "parts" workout or an hour "parts" workout. What I like about BOS is you can get to the 25 minute floorwork (with a little bit of fast forwarding) and it's 25 minutes of only lower body! And it's crazy, but there's something kind of endearing about Greg. Yep, he's cheesy and it's the 80's, but it's just a "basic" floorwork dvd without frills and for some reason, it really appeals to me right now. (I'm burned out on all the hype about fancy workouts that burn 800 calories and hour and will trim an inch off your hips and thighs in 10 workouts, etc. etc.)

And maybe I like this one because I'm on a seriou s "back to basics" kick right now, and this is where I started in the 80's!
Old 10-21-08, 08:25 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Never tried this workout - so how different is this really from the lower body floorwork in Jane Fonda's Workout (which I think the brief YouTube clips resemble), or Margaret Richard, GWW, and/or Firm Vol 1? If I have & use those, why would I need this?
I get DOMS from BOS, whereas I don't from Firm Vol I or GWW. GWW always used to drag for me. I'm not sure why, but I stopped using it because of that. I got tired of fast forwarding Firm Vol I to the floorwork part. As for Margaret it depends on which DVD of hers you're comparing BOS to. The only comparable one I can think of really is her Classics Collection. Though I haven't seen Sculpture Lower Body yet; perhaps that might be comparable as well. (Definitely not her more recent easier ones like Unplugged). I think they're different enough to compliment one another without being more of the same. I agree with earlier posts saying Winsor Bun & Thigh Workout is another one that compliments BOS well. Those three - BOS, Winsor B&T, and Classics - are my all-time favorite lower body workouts and I use them quite often. But Classics is pricey and as good as I think it is, it's still a lot to shell out so I'd hesitate to recommend that one to people looking for floorwork moreso than BOS and Winsor B&T.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-08, 08:26 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
...I think the thing I like about BOS is that it's got all the floorwork in one "chapter" (although technically it isn't chaptered too well). You can do a 25 minute workout that's all floorwork, it's challenging, but not so hard that you can't get through it. GWW seemed to have a dread factor for me, I can't remember if it was too long or too many reps or what, but I didn't feel that way about BOS from the first time I did it. I've always had a hard time "relating" to the classic Firm workouts. Just never clicked with me. I like Margaret's workouts, but the ones I have intersperse upper and lower work and might be a 30 minute "parts" workout or an hour "parts" workout. What I like about BOS is you can get to the 25 minute floorwork (with a little bit of fast forwarding) and it's 25 minutes of only lower body! And it's crazy, but there's something kind of endearing about Greg. Yep, he's cheesy and it's the 80's, but it's just a "basic" floorwork dvd without frills and for some reason, it really appeals to me right now. (I'm burned out on all the hype about fancy workouts that burn 800 calories and hour and will trim an inch off your hips and thighs in 10 workouts, etc. etc.)...
I agree. I found myself nodding a lot when I read your post.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-08, 07:22 AM  
a_real_twit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra
I get DOMS from BOS, whereas I don't from Firm Vol I or GWW....
I agree with this - except that I do get quad DOMS from GWW. If Greg had included a couple sets of exercises that specifically targets the quads (like those in GWW or Shape it Up), then BOS would, IMHO, be the best floor legs workout ever.
Old 10-22-08, 08:04 AM  
CarlaShanti

I still haven't received my copy of BOS. Fingers crossed it turns up soon!
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 12:11 AM  
ldj

I haven't received my copy either but I live in the Philippines so it usually takes awhile for things to get to me. But I'm really looking forward to this.

Lara
ldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 06:42 PM  
erin4425

Buns mentioned on NBC show

Did anyone else hear OBOS mentioned on the NBC show "Kath and Kim" last night? Kath was doing a home workout and said she was proud she still had "buns of steel". Good to know that we aren't the only ones who enjoy this workout! NBC writers must find it enjoyable too! Greg must have loved the plug! Anyone else watch the show?
erin4425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buns of steel, of steel