Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-15, 05:28 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylb View Post
I thought of 2 more questions. Are they easy to follow? That's something I love about Leslie's workouts.

Do a lot of them incorporate core? I don't like working core directly but I like when the core is engaged while doing exercises if that makes senses.

So in addition to strength and flexibility, I need core and help with my posture.
I think they are easy to follow. A lot of people have talked about there being a "learning curve" similar to barre. The longer you do the method, the more you understand how to make your workout harder.

Miranda talks a lot about being a former ballerina and engaging abs during standing exercises. I like that I don't have to feel like I need to get on the floor and do a traditional ab workout (if I don't want to).

CS/Ess will definitely help with your posture. That's a big push with the program.

I have definitely gotten stronger and slimmer doing almost exclusively CS/Ess. My SIL just commented at Thanksgiving that I looked like I've slimmed down since this summer. I haven't lost any weight but I've been doing CS/Ess daily, and the hour long workouts 2-3 times a week. I've been doing the instructor training and practicing a lot. It was a nice compliment right before I ate too much turkey and pumpkin pie .

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-15, 05:46 PM  
dakko

Quote:
Do a lot of them incorporate core? I don't like working core directly but I like when the core is engaged while doing exercises if that makes senses.
That is why I keep mentioning instruction.

Once you ever hear her say what it is you are supposed to be doing, you will absolutely be engaging your core.

As someone with no prior experience or knowledge of the program, I can say that you do need to hear the instruction at some point in order to be performing the moves to their intended purpose. And like Jackie said, the longer you do it, the more you will understand how to make your workout harder.

The instruction isn't that big of a deal though -- you will eventually pick it all up as you go. Or if you read her book or listen to her talks.

ETA: Here are some videos that go with the book. I believe (if I remember right) that she gives good instructions here, although they are too abbreviated to be a workout without pausing and performing reps - look for 8 Mini Workout Videos, at top of page:

http://www.essentrics.com/media.html

ETA2 - if you watch the first one, "Straighten Your Posture," she gives instruction for the Open Chest Swan, a very simple movement. I don't know how many episodes (a lot) I've seen her do that move with no explanation. It isn't always possible to see what she is actually doing with that move! But once you've heard it, you (probably) don't need to hear it again.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 02:50 PM  
sherylb

Crazy but I think I'm going to splurge on the CS bundle!

I have been looking at a lot of the clips and think it is what I am missing. Will combine these with my Leslie workouts. It is a new year and I will be turning 50 and really am not wanting to do any dumbbell workouts anymore. I will be clearing out many of my DVD's that used to serve a purpose but no longer do.

If I added an Essentric DVD, I was contemplating Strength and Stretch in Motion or Body Sculpting Series? Which would best complement the CS bundle?

One more question. How overwhelmed will I be ordering all of this at once never having done it? Where should I start?
sherylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-15, 07:59 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
One more question. How overwhelmed will I be ordering all of this at once never having done it? Where should I start?
Honestly, I tend to just put a dvd in the player and just go with it. That's mostly why I like season 10 so much, since I don't have to rearrange furniture midway through the workout to make room for my chair/barre.

I've found CS to be an excellent adjunct to everything else.
Feeling slow? use a slow one as a warmup. Feeling peppy? Use one after another workout (of a different type) to get in a bit more exercise without overdoing it.
Old 12-01-15, 08:54 AM  
dakko

Quote:
Where should I start?
Start by making sure all of the discs work.

While checking the discs, something might catch your eye (an appealing movement, or maybe the colors brighten your day) and start with that season. Start with something that makes you feel good/happy.

Or, if you feel like a stretchy episode (or a faster episode), use the guidelines on their website to pick an episode that fits how you feel.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 09:16 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Crazy but I think I'm going to splurge on the CS bundle!

If I added an Essentric DVD, I was contemplating Strength and Stretch in Motion or Body Sculpting Series? Which would best complement the CS bundle?

When I get a new season, I write notes about each episode, starting from the beginning. I keep a notebook and jot down anything that strikes me. I write if it's a good back episode, nice and stretchy, nicely choreographed trademarks, a tough arm workout, balanced. Before I kept a notebook, I spent too much time looking for the episode of Miranda on the dock with the universal man, etc.

I like Stretch and Strength in Motion and the Body Sculpting Series a lot. Short, easy to add on or mix and match. Essentrics is the same as CS. CS is just the PBS TV episodes.

I love CS/Ess and use my dvds every day. It's all I do. I hesitate to recommend that you buy the big bundle having not done the method. Nothing worse than a big purchase you don't like! CS/Ess is easy enough to trade or sell though. You know your budget and what you can afford. Maybe start with a season and a couple Essentrics?

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 12-01-15, 10:11 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

If you haven't already, check your local PBS station(s). One of my local stations shows an episode from seasons 9 or 10 every morning at 6am. It's a good way to try before you buy. I had never done any CS before and jumped right into Season 10 and didn't have any problems. I am 49 and am an intermediate exerciser, but had never done anything like CS before (I don't have a ballet or dance background at all).
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 10:42 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
If you haven't already, check your local PBS station(s). One of my local stations shows an episode from seasons 9 or 10 every morning at 6am. It's a good way to try before you buy. I had never done any CS before and jumped right into Season 10 and didn't have any problems. I am 49 and am an intermediate exerciser, but had never done anything like CS before (I don't have a ballet or dance background at all).
Which station are you referring to? Not that I am up at 6AM but just in case...
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 11:05 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
In MN, TPT Life or PBS Life carries Classical Stretch.

Old 12-03-15, 10:28 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
It's NYCHD Life, Ch 22 on Cablevision.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, classical stretch sale, cs recommendations, essentrics sale, season 10, season 6