Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-15, 12:40 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

Streaming/technical help pls

I'm not good with this techie stuff and I don't have a lot of patience either..sigh...

I've finally got a decent tv in my exercise room(and some space cleared) and an older 'smart' dvd player which the smart apps are pretty much outdated. owever the tv will stream youtube (just not amazon for some reason and from what I've researched it can't be added) but I did order an amazon fire stick that should stream everything.

anyways...all these websites that offer streaming and download purchases through purple player(Jessica Smith), etc and gilad , and Margaret Richard downloads- how do you stream them/watch them? do you use your computer? an app that's on the fire stick/roku/whatever? I don't want to be hauling my laptop around and having to hook up bunch of stuff to exercise. waiting for youtube or a dvd to load is already what I consider almost too long to wait! I know gilad has an app with roku but dunno about the others and I"ve pretty much decided I have enough of his dvds that I'm not gonna deal unless I feel like trying the free month for the heck of it. I was debating the barre3 deal but not sure I'd use it enough and not even sure HOW to use it.

also is there an app on these fire sticks for watching stuff on my laptop? or can I put files from my laptop onto a usb and use that way? figure if it turns out I have to have the laptop for streaming I may as well watch stuff I already have on there and not deal with burning to dvd-r.

or maybe justify a 2nd laptop
Old 12-01-15, 12:49 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Susanna! I am no techie genius, lol, but I will pass along what I do. I have a Roku attached to the tv in my workout room, it's an older tv, wall mounted but not "smart". I stream YouTube workouts through it. I have a laptop and I stream yogadownload.com through it and will do the same with the Barre3 subscription I just bought. I can also stream YouTube through my laptop, but prefer the bigger tv screen. I also have several of Jessica's downloads that I watch on my laptop with Purple Player.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 12:59 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

thanks Pam - so you watch the yoga and stuff on the laptop not the tv? I don't like the little computer screen..sigh...stuff is just too complicated..it's usually all I can do just to get in a 15-30 min workout esp just waking up!
Old 12-01-15, 01:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Susanna, if you have a smart tv I am sure there is a way to connect it to your laptop and watch your workouts. I bet someone who is more tech savvy will chime in about that.
My laptop has a good sized screen so it's okay to watch my videos on.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 01:42 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

yeh probably have to actually use the laptop for the streaming - was hoping these instructors would have an app or something..sigh
Old 12-01-15, 09:28 AM  
Sollamyn

I've downloaded videos onto a USB for use on my TV. My streaming capability at home is unreliable at certain times of day (like the times when I want to work out!), so I have downloaded a few videos from YouTube for my own use at home. I can't comment on downloads from people's websites using the purple player, because I've never tried that. Like you, I have a lot of DVDs to keep me pretty happy but I am tempted by some of the free stuff on YouTube. My YouTube channel on my Roku works only in the early morning hours, but if your internet is fast enough, you shouldn't have any problems streaming YT onto your TV if you can get the app on your streaming device.

Good luck!
Donna
Old 12-01-15, 09:41 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Susanna, if you have a smart tv I am sure there is a way to connect it to your laptop and watch your workouts. I bet someone who is more tech savvy will chime in about that.
My laptop has a good sized screen so it's okay to watch my videos on.
This is what I wrote in another thread about how to connect a laptop to TV for streaming to the TV:

If the laptop and the TV have HDMI, you can use a HDMI to HDMI cable:

http://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...&keywords=HDMI

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...-keywords=HDMI

If one device does not have HDMI, then there are other types of cable connections to use, like HDMI to component:

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...omponent+cable

This guide should be helpful on the laptop to TV connection:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/la...-hdmi-3280787/
Old 12-01-15, 03:26 PM  
Exercise Diva

I stream directly from my Iphone to my tv. I have found this to be the easiest and most seamless method of streaming -- for me.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-15, 09:07 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

thank you! I'll try some of these...just got my amazon fire stick but working a longish stretch so can't try it til I get time to put batteries in,etc, I may try hooking up the laptop since I actually brought it upstairs with me and will see if I can play through it. will try the usb thingy too- I have TONS of workouts on my laptop and of course the external dvd burner is missing somewhere or other- did some cleaning and now can't find it

do you just transfer files to usb then stick the usb in the tv slot? I think mine has a slot.I kn ow the downstairs tv does and think the upstairs may have one as well.
Old 12-02-15, 12:33 PM  
LuceLu

Hi, I just got this to work for me yesterday so this may help you.

I purchased a new Chromecast device from Target for about $35.
I plugged it in to my tv and the wall.
I downloaded the Chromecast app to my Android Galaxy S4.
This detected the Chromecast and I used this to activate -- the device detected my wifi and I had to enter the security code. Then it updated. I had to name this chromecast. I named it after the room it was in. This means you can have additional chromecasts for other tvs and stream to any one of them.

On my phone, I went to the website that I needed to stream a video-- in my case it was the Essentrics TV site, I logged in from my phone.
Once I selected a workout from my phone, I tapped my phone and the chromecast icon came up, I pressed it. The chromecast and phone communicated and the stream showed up on my tv. It had a great picture and I had no problems for the entire workout.

On my Chromebook, I had a download of a workout. I downloaded the chromcast app to Chrome and it sits next to the Url address bar. I click on that and it communicates with the designated chromecast on my tv in my workout room. The picture shows up on the tv. The computer doesn't even have to be in the room.
LuceLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purple player, streaming, tech