Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-16, 09:45 AM  
SeekingWorkouts

Making strength and flexibility more fun.

Hi. I'm new here.

I typed up a long post on the subject this last night, but the forum ate my post! Here's the condensed version.

I would love to find some strength training and flexibility workouts that appeal to my cardio interests: swimming, walking, dancing, and martial arts. I just ordered some books on aqua fitness (thanks to the person who recommended those in one of the older threads here) and will buy the equipment later, so that's covered. Boxing sounds interesting, too, as I already own a kickboxing DVD.

Alternately, I wouldn't mind having some more workouts like Stephanie McMahon's WWE Fit DVD, which includes strength routines that are short, varied, and focus on low reps and light weights. Oh, and the flexibility segment is brief but efficient, too. I like that. Has anyone done her husband's Power workouts for comparison?

Finally, I'd like to know if dancing counts as a flexibility workout and if swimming is considered resistance training in addition to cardio. I'm currently learning belly dance and hula and am interested in knowing if anyone has gotten good results from either.

Thank you!
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 10:12 AM  
bubbles76

Welcome! I haven't tried Stephanie McMahon's workout (yet!), but if you are looking for shorter high rep, low weight workouts I recommend Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped series. Those workouts are divided up into two, 30 minute workouts (well, maybe with warm up, cool down, and abs run more like 45 minutes each). Some mix cardio and weights.

As for bellydance, I took bellydance for years and it definitely helped with my posture and flexibility. Dare I say, I even snuck in some ab work, as you know that isolations and undulations (not to mention flutters) drills can be tough! My abs were definitely defined, but that may have been because I was also doing other things. I wouldn't attribute that definition strictly to bellydance, but I'm sure it helped!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 11:59 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Welcome! I haven't tried Stephanie McMahon's workout (yet!), but if you are looking for shorter high rep, low weight workouts I recommend Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped series. Those workouts are divided up into two, 30 minute workouts (well, maybe with warm up, cool down, and abs run more like 45 minutes each). Some mix cardio and weights.

As for bellydance, I took bellydance for years and it definitely helped with my posture and flexibility. Dare I say, I even snuck in some ab work, as you know that isolations and undulations (not to mention flutters) drills can be tough! My abs were definitely defined, but that may have been because I was also doing other things. I wouldn't attribute that definition strictly to bellydance, but I'm sure it helped!
Also finding that Bollywood dance and cardio Bollywood dance have worked. This despite temperamental knees. You don't want to overlook static floorwork (e.g., planks, pushup holds, ¾ crunches, etc.) ... they could improve hip flexor and psoas flexibility by taking the unstable, weaker core muscle overcompensation demands, in stretching and balance challenges; out of the equation: http://www.t-nation.com/training/stretching-doesnt-work

and

http://deansomerset.com/side-plank-i...tion-answered/

As still a work in progress myself, I'm finding out more ...

Missing swimming (logistically quite improbable that I get to a pool); swam regularly for 11 years ... I used to have more massive, strong shoulders (certainly not Jenny Thompson-grade); but if you do enough laps of butterfly or backstroke; and, in addition, could do a decent backstroke bucket turn or a flip turn [never had got quite that far since I'd learned (from returning beginner, back in my midlife] you could kiss some, if not all, of those mat pilates sessions good-bye ...

Finally coming to terms with sweat dredged up from land cardio-plus-strength workouts ... us sweat-avoiders have really gotten a lot of miles out of swimming for that reason alone ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 01:13 PM  
Kitten

Hi & welcome!

Maybe something like Yoga Booty Ballet Basic ?https://youtu.be/GcKjwUN2cYQ
Ballet, cardio toning, yoga, abs, stretch in about 40 minutes if you leave off the beginning and ending meditation.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-16, 01:40 PM  
buffmama

How about some total bodyweight movement based workouts like:
Bodyfit - Michelle Dozois
Center Floor or Sweat Express - Kari Anderson
Balletone workouts
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 10:14 AM  
SeekingWorkouts

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I forgot to mention that I have snapping hip syndrome. Mostly, my hips just pop with little or no discomfort, but sometimes I come across a workout move that feels strange or even hurts. I'm afraid my hips will get worse as I age, though, so I've avoided doing barre or intense dancing/dance workouts like Bollywood and Zumba. Would these actually help me, or should I stick to something more gentle?

I tend to get bored and frustrated with conventional strength training, (slow) yoga, and tai chi, but they're more interesting for me when the workouts are short and/or mixed with other activities. It seems like a lot of the workouts mentioned in this thread fit those categories.

Also, it's good to know that swimming and belly dance will definitely help me achieve my fitness goals.
SeekingWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 12:39 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

bellydance....
chest moves give me that line down the abs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYmb3TqAn8o

hip moves feel wonderful for my back

I'm also vastly amused when some of the grr!macho workouts use what are very definitely bellydance moves as mobility drills. or whatever they're called now
Old 01-14-16, 12:59 PM  
deineira

Hi,
Welcome to the forum! Prepare to be enabled within an inch of your pocketbook...unless you're stronger than most of us here in the willpower department. I've expanded my fitness horizons tremendously here, which, although a bit expensive, has given me a renewed love of exercise that I was losing after many years of working out to the same old same old.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Buti to you. It's a bodyweight workout based on yoga principles with some other stuff (like primal dance moves...whatever that means, but that's how the instructor describes it) thrown in here and there. These are very flexibility-enhancing for me, but I find them more engaging than just flexibility focused only workouts, and they have a strength component due to the bodyweight focus. They are fun and the instructor has pretty driving music on her streaming site.

You can find some sample workouts on Youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKsyeiUorzY, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFRTaUOG5Z8, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nYXzcdiTg

Maybe these will be of interest to you.

ETA - I just read your last post and see that you're not crazy keen on yoga. I'm not either, which is why Buti is more appealing to me...I wish I could stick with it as I understand it's so beneficial, but yoga is really boring for me. :-(
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 01:17 PM  
Lorelai

You might appreciate some of Jessica Smith's YouTube offerings. She has a little something for everyone there IMO, kickboxing, stretching, walking, and more. If high rep low weight appeals to you, then maybe take a look at Ellen Barrett, especially the ones incorporating hand weights. The fusion approach might appeal to you if you're interested in incorporating some yoga or Pilates, but are impatient with those things on their own. Ellen's Fusion Flow is deceptively challenging as well.

ETA - On second thought, with your hip issues, I'm not sure about Fusion Flow because it really does get into the hips. I have no experience with that problem so I'm not sure if it would be an appropriate workout or not. ???

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-16, 01:28 PM  
marki64

SeekingWorkouts, I think we joined the forum at the same time. I am new here too. I just wanted to chime in that I also find Michelle's Body Fit 360 Athletic Conditioning extremely fun. It moves really fast but it is a fun 40 min. and it works you pretty good. She doesn't use weights, just a towel (I use a band for extra resistance). I don't know how your hip would react to some of the floor movements, but thought I would just chime in to say this is a big dread-free workout.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote