Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-08, 08:58 AM  
gypsyqueen

Unhappy My laminate floor is too slippery!

I am getting so frustrated with our floors. We installed some laminate in the whole house last year. It was the best choice for us because of all of our pets but ever since working out has become very difficult cause I can barely keep my footing and I feel like I am gonna hurt myself!
I am getting so ticked off that I stopped working out this morning trying to do a fast paced cardio video this morning.
Anyone know any secrets to making it less slippery? I don't have a choice, the living room is the only space we have for me to exercise in our tiny house. If I put any kind of mats on there it has to be easy to put down and pick up when I am done with it.
I was thinking maybe those foot pads that tap dancers stick on the bottom of their shoes to keep from sliding might help but I'm not sure cause I have fairly new shoes and they don't stick either!
Old 12-22-08, 09:20 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Have you tried puzzle mats with a non-slip rug underlay?
We have terrazzo tile-type linoleum throughout our upstairs (yes, I know, yuck, but who has the $$ to replace) throughout our upstairs.
We use the underlayment under large and small area rugs and they work beautifully. I would imagine they would work with the puzzle mats.

I use my puzzle mats downstairs on linoleum with a thick rug/carpet remnant over them without underlayment and they stay pretty well. I will bring some puzzle mats upstairs later and put an underlayment with them, jump around a bit and see how that works.

Renda
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 09:46 AM  
Fanny

I agree, I would put puzzle mats on top.

The underlay she mentioned should keep them from sliding, otherwise put a couple heavy dumbbells on it.

Puzzle mats are easy to put down and take up.

Puzzle mats are slippery at first, it wears off. Not sure if you can wash it off.
Fanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 09:54 AM  
F1mom

Another vote for the puzzle mats. Buy the non-skid mat to put under them, though. I've had puzzle mats slip on my hardwoods, and until I bought the mat, I'd put heavy weights to anchor it.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 10:04 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I'm surprised that workout shoes would be slippery on any kind of floor!

Have you tried running shoes? They typically have a "grabbier" sole than your typical cross-training or aerobics shoe.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 10:10 AM  
mbcatac7

I have the same issue here. So hard to do Yoga etc. without slipping.
I have tried the puzzle mats, but they come apart. I have completely fallen a few times on the mats.
So it was not a good solution at all. The best thing I have found is to use a regular mat, and make sure both feet are on at the same time.
Billie
Old 12-22-08, 10:06 PM  
gypsyqueen

I clean my floors with vinegar and water as well. :/

Also a yoga mat sounds OK but I will need about 4-5 to cover the floor space I use to do cardio. I have one right now.

The outdoor rug thing sounds alright if I can find one that sticks to my floor, most I've seen are plastic-y and hard like the floors already.

Geesh, they should have thought of this stuff when they made them! ArGH!
Old 12-22-08, 11:20 PM  
dmhammy

I had a pair of athletic shoes that were slippery on the bottoms. I almost fell several times at work coming in from outside with snow on the bottoms. I actually ruffed them up with sandpaper. It did the trick. Felt kind of weird sanding the bottoms of my shoes but it sure did help.

Also, I think hair spray is tacky so you could try that I suppose. A real light coat might work. Just a random thought

Dawn

Yes I admit it, I'm addicted to fitness. I guess I need a 12 step program or maybe just 12 good steps to jog up and down on

2/260
dmhammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 12:24 AM  
nomio

Toezies and Exersocks

There are some socks with little rubber nubbies on the bottom. Gripeez? Also non-slip exersocks from Crescent Moon (and at Amazon), and Toezies at Amazon and their website: http://www.mytoezies.com. These are great for group classes in cold rooms on hard wood floors and for bumping around the house on laminate floors. Keep yer feet warm, too!

Nomio
nomio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring