Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-16, 02:36 PM  
kalliope999

Another idea is Fé Fit. It's a full system, like you're looking for, with 28 different workouts, all 30 minutes with warmups and cool downs included. So lots of variety. There are several different calendars you can choose to follow: 3, 4, 5, or 6 days per week. The genres in the program are Total Body Toning, Barre, Cardio Circuit, Core, Lower Body, Upper Body, and Stretch Flow. Many people around VF have it, so you may be able to trade for it. It's also available on Amazon for $37, down from the original price of $119. Follow the modifier as a beginner, and go at your own pace. Hillary moves fast, but you don't have to.

But you've gotten a lot of good suggestions in this thread. What have you chosen to do first? I say just pick one of them and start Monday!

Try not to get stuck in the "what should I do" phase (I'm familiar with it because it's a weakness of mine), but just give something a try. Pick one of the programs you already have, like SUAT, which is only four weeks. You can spend time researching what to do afterwards while you're getting one done. That's what I did when I couldn't decide in January, and before I knew it I was done and had accomplished a rotation, and it was time for something else.
Old 04-26-16, 02:26 PM  
lorajc

Oh yes, I always grab Fe Fit when I need something "easier". Thanks so much for everything everyone.

Just so you all don't think this thread has been forgotten....here's what I've decided. I'm weaning off some pain meds from all of the previous injuries I've had over the years (bad luck spur) and this has been sort of difficult and has caused a lot of increased pain, as every time I decrease...the pain increases...I'm exactly half-way off of it right now....so I've decided to be gentle to my body for the Summer and stick with the method's that have been "gentler" to my cement back of spasms! So with that in mind...I've decided:

to do a general Beginner Tracy Anderson rotation focus (may look into joining a check-in) with Kettlebell training and Pilates REformer for variety and walking as the weather warms up here in NE Ohio...as well which is supposed to be good for my disc herniations and such. Then at the end of the Summer, I'm hoping, I'll be med free and ready to start a rotation? ETA: oh and of course, my Kundalini yoga practice will be in there at least 3-4 times per week as it really helps me! How could I forget to type that. Thanks for the wonderful idea's everyone....I do want to get back to my belly dancing and if I actually have any extra time, I will probably try to add that in on days the weather doesn't accommodate a walk!! Also, this is going to be hard for me to do...as I always try to do more and end up overdoing it (in the past) and end up in so much pain that I can't do anything but KY for a week or so....so I'm trying to force myself to learn from my mistakes and be kinder to myself for once....but my fitness has really fallen.....as I've seen doing the TA Beginner WO's the past week and that is frightening.

THANks again all!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-16, 03:37 PM  
Alan

I haven't read all the replies, but one of the things that makes a rotation more beginnerish is the amount of recovery time. Even if you are doing solely beginners workouts if you are doing lots of add-ons and not giving your body enough time to heal then it's no longer a beginner's rotation.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-16, 04:13 PM  
jerebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliope999 View Post
Ooh, I thought of another one, and it's cheap! Josh Hillis's 21 Day Kettlebell Swing Challenge. I bought it back in 2011 when it was a PDF and more expensive, but now it's available for Kindle (which you can also read on your computer or in a browser) for only $2.99. If you already have kettlebells, it's a great option! You can get a free interval timer app online.

http://www.amazon.com/21-Day-Kettleb.../dp/B00GE6JJK6

I've done this SO many times. As you may have gathered from my other comments, I'm kind of lazy and like short workouts best! I also love kettlebells.

--The workouts are either 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes each day. Yay!
--ETA: I think the warm-ups are an additional 2-3 minutes or so, just fyi. I just walk around for a few minutes for cool down, just until my heart rate comes down.
--There are three different levels available for each day (beginner, intermediate, and advanced). They differ mostly in intervals (beginners have longer rest periods and shorter work sessions) and also with variations of warm-up moves.
--The warm-ups and some of the workouts include some push-ups or knee push-ups, planks or knee planks, and lunges, but not so many that you dread it. So you get closer to a full body workout, not just swings.

I've occasionally done this challenge a few times in a row, as my only workouts, and I've definitely trimmed up and lost fat. Importantly, when I do this, I take rest days as needed and don't use it as a "challenge", so I don't stress out about that part of it. If I was especially tired, or didn't sleep well, or was overly sore, I'd take a rest day, and then just continue on with the schedule. But otherwise, I'd just go with it, because some days were only 5 minutes long!!

The only time in my life I've been able to do full push-ups was when I was doing this rotation. I felt awesome! Because of the use I've gotten out of it, the price, and the results I've gotten (leaning out, feeling energetic, feeling strong), I'd say it was one of my best fitness purchases EVER. I don't know why I don't recommend it more often. (If you can find a way to purchase the PDF, get that, because the format is nice.)
This sounds great! Just a question--other than the pushups, is there any other upper body work? Do you do snatches? cleans? rows? presses? I have a torn rotator cuff with tendinitis in the biceps and teres minor--so I can't do much upper body work, though PT has me doing wall push ups, which I would sub for the regular push ups.
Old 04-26-16, 06:37 PM  
kalliope999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
This sounds great! Just a question--other than the pushups, is there any other upper body work? Do you do snatches? cleans? rows? presses? I have a torn rotator cuff with tendinitis in the biceps and teres minor--so I can't do much upper body work, though PT has me doing wall push ups, which I would sub for the regular push ups.
Just push-ups and sometimes planks (or knee planks). Plus lunges, and then the swings of course (either double handed or single-handed, depending on the level).

None of the typical upper body kettlebell moves you asked about. It's a very simple program!

Tags
beginner rotations, beginner workouts, met-rx, met-rx 180