Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-16, 11:33 AM  
pharma_gal

New baby, sleep, stress, depression, recovering & working out

Hi all - I just had a baby on June 11th. It was a normal delivery but had a third degree tear. I am recovering quite well. OB wants to see me at 3 weeks. Now I know he won't clear me for working out that soon but I'm thinking probably at 6 weeks? I really want to start working out again but right now I am so overwhelmed I don't even know how that will be possible with the sleepless nights and stress. One other thing is that our very close friends are moving to Florida and I am sad about it. I don't think my depression is post-partum but because our best friends are moving or could it be post-partum? Their son grew up with us as if he were our own and I can't even think how life will change with him gone. If I am cleared to work out where would I start? I haven't worked out in so long I don't even know where to begin anymore. I do have a huge collection of DVD's.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 11:38 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Congratulations on the baby! What a cutie. You're going through a lot of changes at once and that can really affect your mood. It's not necessarily postpartum depression, but something you should mention to your doctor.

As far as workouts, I walked a lot in the initial stages with each of my babies. I had 3 emergency c-sections, and that was all I could do. I believe I started at about 4 weeks. It worked well--I was on maternity leave and could put the baby in a stroller and walk. Start easy, and back off if it doesn't feel good. The exercise will help your body and mind, so do what you can.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 12:44 PM  
desie

It helps to sleep whenever the baby is sleeping. If you get enough sleep it will be easier to keep a level mood and cope. Consider who might be able to help out for a while (healthy meals, laundry, errands, holding the baby, keeping you company). Walking with the baby in a carrier against your chest works well. Each month is a little bit better, in terms of being able to get things done and not feel like a walking corpse from exhaustion, you will get there! Enjoy your new baby time!
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 12:44 PM  
antbuko

Congratulations on your new baby! I'm so sorry your friends are moving away. You will keep in touch with them and you will make new friends because of the baby, for sure. You take good care of yourself when you are ready to ease back into fitness!
Old 06-22-16, 12:50 PM  
PhyllisG

Congratulations on your new baby! If you are worried about postpartum depression talk to your doctor. Please. Don't stress about working out. You have a new baby and you really need to take it easy. Don't worry about working goes along with don't worry about how the house looks etc. Concentrate on your baby and you. I really can't stress this enough.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 02:08 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Awww, congrats for sure! Such precious little nuggets, those newborns! But they sure are exhausting.

I'd agree with what others have said, particularly Pratima. I walked a lot when my babies were really small. And if you're struggling with the blues, walking outdoors in the sunshine can help. Also, try cutting out sugar and eating dark chocolate--as dark as you can tolerate (otherwise it would nullify the 'cutting out sugar' part.) And try to get out and see friends. At this age, your baby will sleep anywhere, you don't need to worry about messing up a sleep schedule yet, so take advantage and go out as much as you want!

I know it can feel lonely and overwhelming with a new baby, but all parents have been there and most of us remember it vividly! Lean on people--your loved ones want to help.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 02:10 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

And feel free to join our "prenatal/postpartum" check-in! We don't have any truly postpartum members right now and it'd be great to have you.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 02:13 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
And feel free to join our "prenatal/postpartum" check-in! We don't have any truly postpartum members right now and it'd be great to have you.
Yes, indeed! Some of us are very, very post-partum! But we do have a pregnant woman now, so she lends us more credibility. hahahaha!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-16, 11:59 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Having a newborn is very stressful so I agree with what others have said. Try to get as much sleep as you can by sleeping when the baby sleeps. Sleep is more important than exercise at this point. When you are cleared for exercise start by walking. I was in the best shape of my life 2 years after my second was born. I was 40 at the time so have no fear- it is possible to regain your fitness. Starting too soon and exercising too intensely is counterproductive so take it easy. I am sorry about your friends moving away and it is understandable that you are down about that. Try to remain connected to them as much as possible and reach out to other friends and relatives for support. I will be sending you a PM.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 12:31 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hey, sounds like you got some great advice here. I just wanted to congratulate you on your new bundle of joy.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote