Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-16, 08:11 PM  
pharma_gal

Kathy Smith Secrets/LWTLW

I had all of Kathys Dvds and then I got rid of them. Are these DVD's worth acquiring again? Her Secrets to a great lower body and upper body as well as lift weights to lose weights both 1 & 2? Thanks
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 09:42 PM  
bfit

I still use these now and then. They are good basic weights workouts so they are timeless in that regard. I think the "Secrets" ones look a little more dated, are longer, and move a little more slowly so I don't do those very often. If I could only keep one I'd definitely keep LWTLW.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 06:04 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I don't know about her Secrets DVDs but LWTLW 1&2 were my first DVDs (along with a couple of cardio DVDs). A lot of people think she was a little out there with her "enthusiasm" and while I agree I thought it just made her one of us so to speak, and as such I still liked the workouts. But whether to reacquire them depends on what you are looking for. Like bfit said, they are just straight forward strength workouts.

I think the Secrets workouts have been rebranded (I think as the Super Slimdown Circuit?)
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 07:28 AM  
bubbles76

I would say yes to both. In fact, I am trying to reacquire the LWTLW 1 & 2 pack now. The only thing I wasn't fond of for LWTLW is there is no warm up. They are straight forward workouts and if you like Kathy Smith you will like these workouts. She is very calm and the reps are slow enough to go heavier in Secrets. There is a "break" between exercises as they show the move and what muscle it's working. I use that break to stretch. In LWTLW 1 she is very hyper. Like, whoa. But it's a good workout. In LWTLW 2 she adds some twists to familiar moves, but it's easy to leave them out or add them in. She is much calmer in LWTLW 2 than in LWTLW 1.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 12:56 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I've kept them for sentimental reasons. of the 2, I go back to LWTLW more than Secrets. LWTLW was one of my first pure weights workout.

my beef about Secrets is that when she shows a demo of each move when she does the "first side" of the body; but when she goes to the "second side" of the body, she goes right into it, and there's not enough time for set up. so if you're going from supine chest flyes to triceps, there's not enough time to even switch weight size, or even stand up from being in the supine position.

she gives lots of form pointers in Secrets, and I love the "ballet room" set.

LWTLW is great - lots of time for set up. even though there's no warm up, as many have noted, it's minor. the 2 simultaneous tracks (half the group is advanced, the other is beginner) provides options that you can switch to easily.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 01:26 PM  
marya

I've also kept both LWTLW 1 and Secrets (on the Super Slimdown Circuit compilation DVD), but like other posters I return more often to LWTLW. Occasionally I review Secrets just for the form pointers. (I like the set too, Jeannine!)

Occasionally I'll set my DVD player on slow playback and turn LWTLW into a slow-and-heavy workout. The sound doesn't play in this mode, but it doesn't matter--I did LWTLW so often back in the day that I know the soundtrack by heart.

At one time I also had LWTLW 2, but I traded it. I actually missed the whoops and high energy of 1, and I found the set and color scheme kind of depressing.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
form pointers, kathy smith, kathy smith compilations