Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-16, 12:43 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Wanted to pitch in on the "walk, walk, walk" bandwagon I have a 9-month-old and 4-year-old. Each time, after C-sections (both kinda unscheduled), I started with walking a mile or two within 2 weeks of delivery, and then adding more mileage as I got stronger and as I tried to get baby to fall asleep and stay asleep! I was walking up to 8 miles per day by 3 months post-partum, but more typically 4-6 miles per day. I also tried to sleep as much as possible because that is key. I would fit in 15 minute bursts of activity at home too -- something like two segments of a Jari Love/Gilad/Cathe DVD or a Jessica Smith YouTube routine. And if time permitted during a longer baby nap, I'd do 30 minutes of a KCM DVD or a 30-40 minute yoga routine. Every little bit helps. Now that I'm back at work, I'm almost always working out in 15-30 minute bursts, trying to do it twice per day if they are shorter segments. And I still continue to take baby Toby out on an evening stroll after work... Congratulations to you and have fun!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-16, 07:07 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
Wanted to pitch in on the "walk, walk, walk" bandwagon I have a 9-month-old and 4-year-old. Each time, after C-sections (both kinda unscheduled), I started with walking a mile or two within 2 weeks of delivery, and then adding more mileage as I got stronger and as I tried to get baby to fall asleep and stay asleep! I was walking up to 8 miles per day by 3 months post-partum, but more typically 4-6 miles per day. I also tried to sleep as much as possible because that is key. I would fit in 15 minute bursts of activity at home too -- something like two segments of a Jari Love/Gilad/Cathe DVD or a Jessica Smith YouTube routine. And if time permitted during a longer baby nap, I'd do 30 minutes of a KCM DVD or a 30-40 minute yoga routine. Every little bit helps. Now that I'm back at work, I'm almost always working out in 15-30 minute bursts, trying to do it twice per day if they are shorter segments. And I still continue to take baby Toby out on an evening stroll after work... Congratulations to you and have fun!
Short bursts--definitely the way to go with little kids! I'm reading the book 'Fast Exercise' by Michael Mosley (the 'Truth about Exercise' documentary guy) and Peta Bee. It's all about very short, high-intensity exercise. I've known about HIIT for years, but what they're suggesting is super-short--sometimes fewer than 10 minutes! I tried it the other day in the pool and I liked it. Because I enjoy exercise, I actually prefer to workout longer than 10 minutes, but in a pinch, it's great to read research about how much you can accomplish, fitness-wise, in such a short period of time.

Very high intensity is not a good idea for a very post-partum mother, but it's a great strategy once you're fully on-the-mend and are trying to juggle all the demands of life with babies/kids!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 09:24 AM  
pharma_gal

Thank you for all your replies! I really appreciate them! The reason I was thinking about working out is not so much to lose weight but because I think it will help my mood and emotions. It has been a bit overwhelming! But yes I agree that sleep is more important . I have my follow up tomorrow and will see what the doctor says then I will try to walk outdoors. Since its summer here might as well take advantage. Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 10:58 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Hi Pharma_gal, I just re-read your original post, and I wonder if you might benefit from talking to a counselor? It sounds like you may be suffering post-partum depression AND the stress of the loss of your friends. If you have access to counseling it might be worthwhile to take advantage of it.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 01:38 PM  
donnamp

hi Pharma-gal,

Congratulations on your new baby! There is something about having a baby that no one tells you - and that is - it is a huge life change and takes some getting used to and yes, there will also be a period of "mourning" for your old life. Is this baby your first? If so, I suspect you feel the "life change" a great deal. I only had one baby, but I imagine that even adding a second one would have resulted in significant changes. Having a child is wonderful, I wouldn't have changed it for anything but the first year for me was a real struggle b/c I had to adjust to a whole new way of living - and it is an adjustment! Added to the lifestyle adjustment is the fact that your body is still recovering and you are sleep deprived. Add to that you friends moving away and it is totally understandable that you are feeling down.

The advice which I wish I had taken was - 1) sleep whenever you can; 2) accept any help you can get; and 3) say "no" to any obligations that feel like they are too much for you to put on your plate right now.

Also, take any opportunity you can to get out w/ friends - either with or w/out your baby - it will refresh you.

And, once your baby is a bit older, join a play group or mom's group. It really helps to be around people who are going through the same things you are.

All that said, I think it couldn't hurt to speak w/ your Dr. about your feelings just to be on the safe side - if it is post partum depression you would want to address that.

Oh, I also understand why exercise would be important - mood booster and chance to feel more like your "old self" again -try to fit it in in a way that is not stressful. So, in other words, now isn't the time to commit to a planned rotation or anything like that b/c invariably something will come up and will knock your plans out of whack. Since it is summer and the weather is nice, walking outside is a good idea - you have longer periods of light so you can go either in the morning or evening when it is cooler. If you have a few extra minutes do some light stretching or strength work - but do it in a no-pressure way - and accept that you may not have a full hour or even 30 minutes at one time to devote to exercise - sneak in those 5-10 minutes whenever you can and be proud of your accomplishments. I personally put too much pressure on myself when my DD was a baby and I really shouldn't have.

((HUGS))

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 04:01 PM  
Buzzer

Congratulations!! My baby just turned 4 on June 5th, so I love seeing another early June baby!!

I wasn't cleared until 8 weeks to workout, and all I did was walk. Seriously, walked. Started at a block, worked my way up. I was so exhausted! I tried the "sleep when baby sleeps" but she slept in such short blocks, I never got any deep sleep so I was always exhausted. When I decided to add in video workouts, i was so hard on myself! I was upset I wasn't doing as well as I was before baby, I was tired so it affected my workouts, I was mentally and physically drained. I tried doing workouts 15 minutes at a time, but it was so hard!

I never knew when I'd be interrupted by her waking up, how long I had (15 minutes? 45 minutes? or just maybe 5 minutes?) so it added stress to my workouts. I was tired, frustrated, weak, and felt like I would never get in shape again. People talked about how happy I should be, and how wonderful a new baby was, and I just wanted to cry and scream for them to help me then!

Let me tell you now, if I had to do it over, focus on the baby and yourself, not your workout. Workout or walk to enjoy it and relax, don't stress about it. You don't need to go through so many changes, both mentally and physically, and beat yourself up with a workout. I would focus on the baby, focus on relaxing me, and walk.

I didn't have Post Partum depression, at least not that I was diagnosed with, but I was so overwhelmed I cried. It was so many changes! My schedule changed. I couldn't cook. I don't even know what I did but feed the baby, change the baby, hold the baby, comfort the baby... the mental change is tough too.

Take care of yourself, walk. When you go back to working out, do what you like, don't compete with your former self. That time will come. Ignore the Facebook people who are powerlifting with beautiful bodies 6 months post partum. They are an anomaly. Relax!!

Congratulations! I wondered so many times (especially at 3am) "what have I done??" but as time goes on, it got easier. I adjusted, she adjusted (and slept at night!) and I am so in love with her now, I can't even believe it. Congratulations a million times over, your future just got a whole lot more fun!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-16, 04:19 PM  
PhyllisG

Buzzer. You are so right. I too had the thought of what have I done?! My sons are adults now and when I look back....it was do worth it.
Relax, sleep enjoy your baby.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 08:06 AM  
antbuko

Lol, "what have I done?" When I got home alone with my daughter, I started freaking out at one point and said OMG, they have to take her back! So glad I kept her instead.
Old 07-01-16, 08:26 AM  
pharma_gal

Hi all - I am coming back to ask about walking. For those of you who suggested walking, when is a good time to start walking with the baby? I had my 3 week appointment and doctor said I can absolutely walk if I was up to it. My little girl is now 3 weeks. Is it ok to take her outside to walk? What is the best way? Should I use a stroller or a body carrier? I am still terribly sleep deprived but I just can't sleep during the day. I would like to go out at least a couple times a week.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 08:41 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Glad you are cleared for walking. Regarding stroller vs. carrier, I was going to say whatever gets you through a walk with less fuss from the baby but you might want to consider the heat factor. The summer weather and wearing the baby may get you both overheated. I would be interested in hearing others' thoghts.

Personally I am very intolerant to the heat so I might be a bit prejudiced. Wearing my baby during the summer was torture but they were both winter babies and were 4-6 months old during the summer months.
However depending on how hot it is outside and how far you are going (not far I assume at least at the beginning) I would say heat stress may be a concern.

P.S. Sun exposure might be a factor in your decision. If you use a stroller-the canopy would shield the baby from the sun more I would think.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote