Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-03, 01:11 PM  
bdandy3
VF Supporter

Shameless request for encouragement!

....ok, here it goes...I am really at a low point right now and am reaching out for some words of encouragement & any advice you might want to throw in would be appreciated, too.

I'm turning 40 in 3 weeks and I'm having a really hard time of it. This has been an up and down year for me...and on my 39th birthday, I promised myself that I wouldn't be fat on my 40th. Well, its coming up and I'm still there.

I started exercising again in December of 2002 (when my weight got up to 248)....found VF and was pretty consistent until January/February when I got pregnant. I had a bad couple of months (morning sickness & just not feeling right) and it culminated (sp?) in having a miscarriage & subsequent d&c in April.

In May, I picked myself up by the bootstraps and told myself it was again time to focus on getting healthy. I've been consistently exercising since then (5-6 days per week; 40-60 minutes per day...good variety of cardio & strength). I've also been eating healthy since that time, too.

The good side to all this: around the time I was pregnant, I was having trouble with my blood pressure. They put me on medication (which I hated the side effects). Because of my basically healthy eating habits and consistent exercise, I've been taken off that and have only had to take a very mild diurectic....its a really good feeling to have my blood pressure under control and not have to worry about that. I'm also thrilled with the fact that I'm a consistent exerciser and feel in better shape than I have in a long time.

I've also completed the couch to 5k program and can run (albiet slowly) for 30 minutes at a time...I was never in my life a runner but can do it now..and actually don't mind doing it.

The down side: I have yet to lose one pound. I am finishing this year at the same weight or a pound or 2 heavier than I started it. It is so discouraging! Some mornings, it is all I can do to drag myself out of bed to exercise in the mornings. I know in my head all the good reasons that I do it (my health...makes me think clearer, etc.) but I just wish I could see some change in the mirror and on the scale.

Sorry to be such a downer...but I really could use some encouragement to keep me going on this exercise train.

TIA,

You cannot be good or bad at yoga. Just do what you can and you will reap the rewards.
Alan Finger
bdandy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:32 PM  
rad

Re: Shameless request for encouragement!

Quote:
Originally posted by bdandy3
The good side to all this: around the time I was pregnant, I was having trouble with my blood pressure. They put me on medication (which I hated the side effects). Because of my basically healthy eating habits and consistent exercise, I've been taken off that and have only had to take a very mild diurectic....its a really good feeling to have my blood pressure under control and not have to worry about that. I'm also thrilled with the fact that I'm a consistent exerciser and feel in better shape than I have in a long time.
I'm very sorry about your miscarriage, Beth. I know how painful that can be. I have got to be one of the biggest fans of you on VF and always follow your posts and check-in to your check-in, always wondering what you are up to, and I am always in awe of you, especially that daily SS rotation you are sucessfully pulling off after starting a thread about a second SS rotation, I believe, asking a few questions, and apparently putting that information to good use. I could never tackle the SS the way you have and consider myself in as good shape as you.

What I have also been able to glean from your posts is that you have an amazing daughter, not sure if she is a step daughter or not, but she is young and so amazingly lucky to have you a mom. You are unconditionally good, and loving and kind. Not an easy accomplishment in this wild world. You are also so funny and intelligent and your "voice" is always on the note. I think these are qualities you either have or don't and you have them.

I feel for you in your weight issue. If you are eating well and working out to the extent you are, perhaps you have an undetected health issue. I am saying this particularly in view of your miscarriage. Might it be worth going on a hunt to find an excellent doctor, even if you think you already have one. There aren't many but some do exist.

Be well, Beth

Melanie
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:36 PM  
Videophile

There are a couple of possibilities. You may have replaced fat with muscle so even tho' your weight is the same, you are more fit.

You can get callipers or an Omron fat monitor on e-bay to check your fat percentage.

Another possibility is that you may be over exercising causing your body to hold onto fat in self defense. If you work too hard, your body burns sugar, not fat. How intense you should be working depends on a number of factors so even if you think you are not over exercising, you may be for your age, type etc.

Two good books to read about this are "Smart Exercise" by Dr. Covert Bailey and "The Maffetone Method" by Dr. Philip Maffetone.

You can also check out the low-intensity "Check-in" for good info and articles at:

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...hreadid=40616/

Last but not least, stay in touch with those who are also in a healthy program so you don't feel alone.

There's a weight loss forum with some really good people at:

http://forums.about.com/n/nav/start....=ab-weightloss

and another exercise forum at :

http://forums.about.com/n/nav/start....ise&redirCnt=1

Good luck,

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Hi Beth--I'm a Beth also, and I hope I can help.

First of all, I want to say that you're entitled to some discouragement--what a tough year you've had! I'm sorry to hear about your difficult pregnancy and the sad ending it came to. I've never been pregnant, but it must be so hard to have all that excitement and hope and then to be so monumentally disappointed; I really feel for you and can understand why you'd be so down.

That being said, I can't help but to be impressed with your continued dedication to your fitness goals. Although I'm not in the same boat as you--my weight is on the high end of normal--I can certainly understand your frustration with the scale not reflecting all of your hard work. Over the past my month, I've been exercising harder and more consistently than I EVER have in my LIFE, but the scale hasn't moved a bit--all I'm asking for is a pound or two!

Anyway, I've found that hanging out around these boards is a great way to stay motivated to work out even when I'm not seeing results. Do you belong to a checkin? I've found that this helps. Also, I recently created a 2-week rotation based on all of my videos, and this helps me stay motivated as well; I feel more obligated to do a particular workout if it's on my schedule for that day.

You said that you do a lot of cardio and strength--have you considered trying an alternate form of fitness such as yoga? I'm doing much more yoga now than I was before--it hasn't helped my weight, but it hasn't hurt it either, and at least I'm enjoying my exercise more; I find that I get satisfaction from my yoga achievements that I don't get from my other types of exercise. Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss is a great place to start. I love how it shows women of several different sizes doing the program--in fact, one of the larger women is also one of the most flexible.

Finally, I would recommend getting all the support you can--here, from family, going to a group like Weight Watchers, whatever--you don't have to do this alone!

Take care,
Beth
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:40 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Beth,

I'm glad you recognized the positive things that a good diet and exercise has done for your body. You had a tough year and I read that stress can cause the body to retain weight (defense mechanism). You might consider having your thyroid checked too. Hang in there and keep remembering all the wonderful things you've accomplished so far. I wish you luck. I turned 40 this year too. It's really just a number. There are lots of VFers in their 50's or older that are still going strong.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:41 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

You had a hard year - a difficult pregnancy then a miscarriage! That's very painful. But despite that you are moving forward - congratulations to you! I know you are frustrated that you haven't lost weight, but your exercise program may be why you've been able to move forward, keeping you from a downward spiral that happens to many after a miscarriage. After a year like this, most people would have gained weight, you haven't - that's a postive as well.
It can be very difficult to lose weight after a miscarriage - your hormones can take a long time to return to normal. Also, could the medication be impacting your weight loss goals?
You've achieved alot of fitness goals this year (a 5k), don't let being too focused on weight keep you from more achievements in the future. You know this, but focus on all the benefits you are getting from exercise - mental and physcial - as a way to keep with your fitness goals. Hang in there, I wasn't too happy about my 40th either but it's just chronological age! - Terrie
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:45 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Beth,

A big VF hug.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:50 PM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Hi Beth: I can't think of anything to add, but I'd also like to extend a cyber hug! {{{{{{BETH}}}}}}
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:52 PM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Hey Beth,

I too have been very impressed with your energy and drive to succeed. I really like to hear your posts in our checkins and you motivate me!

It took me several years to tackle my weight loss and I too started with running. I am 44 so I can relate to you in that as well. I have maintained my weight loss for about 3 years. I started trying to lose in 1996. So it took quite a while. The other thing about hitting the 40's is that your metabolism slows down (so unfair).

I also agree that you may have an underlying health issue. I was put on synthroid and that has also helped me quite a bit.

There is one more thing that causes me not to lose weight even when trying and that is STRESS. I had a job that I hated and was miserable at. Once I admitted that I could not "survive and presevere" at that place, I decided to enhance my own health in order to be healthier at the next job. I lost 25 pounds there before the job ended. The last 35 pounds came off where I have now worked for about 7 years.

I have also found that some exercise is better than other types for myself (my latest fling with Slim Series, pilates, yoga and spinning has worked the best in a long time). I have also noticed that my eating habits, (I had to work on eating regularly, every 3 to 4 hours and breakfast is necessary to maintain my blood sugar levels) have assisted me in weight loss efforts. Perhaps doing a food diary of everything you eat would shed the light on a few changes you might make.

Please hang in there. You have made such great progress with your blood pressure, consistency (which is an amazing feat) and you are in the best shape of your life and soon to be even better! Besides, I would miss you!

I am so sorry about your miscarriage. Thanks for helping me out with your positive vibes and well wishes!

Sheila C.
Ctfitnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:53 PM  
Videophile

One last thought

When I was likewise frustrated by a slow weight loss, my doctor told me, "Even if you don't lose an ounce, you're still doing something good for your heart"

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maffetone method