Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-10, 12:44 PM  
Fitness-Mom

How does Physique 57 compare to Bar Method?

How would you compare Physique 57 and Bar Method? I just bought the (2) new Bar Method DVD's, do I really need the P57 Dvd's as well? Do they offer anything different? Do you think I need all (3) Dvd's?

Have your results been any better with P57 vs Bar Method?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm on the fence ...I have credit card in hand and ready to take the plunge, but really don't have the money.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-10, 01:10 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Here are some differences I see between the two sets:

Pace:
P57 is more dynamic and moves faster than BM. The moves in P57 are not executed at warp speed (like Cardio Barre) but they flow into one another with no/little break and the music is more upbeat so the overall impression is of a more continuous workout.

Instructions:
BM offers more detailed cues on set-up, execution and form. The P57 instructors talk non-stop but actually give fewer pointers; actually, when you pay close attention you notice that they do give instructions but it is somewhat diluted by their constant chatter.

Exercises:
Both workouts have similar moves (pliés, hip extensions, back dancing, etc.) but P57 has more variety - i.e., a broader range of exercises (like knee dancing and ab work in different positions) as well as twists on a given exercise (like plié in different ranges, with pelvic tucks, hip shaking, squeezing the ball, etc.)

Last year I used BM a lot during the first half of the year and then switched to P57. Both have produced good "results" but I believe P57 took me to the next level in terms of core strength, muscle endurance and definition, etc.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 01:32 PM  
Stephanie V.

Personally, I think the P57 workouts have more going for them.
Stephanie V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 01:41 PM  
pcramer

You might think about starting with the new Bar Methods to get your form down and build endurance and then move up to P57. I have both and still do both depending on my mood
pcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 01:50 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcramer View Post
You might think about starting with the new Bar Methods to get your form down and build endurance and then move up to P57. I have both and still do both depending on my mood
ITA. I also tell peope to check out clips of P57 and Tanya's personality and the speed of the workout aren't for everyone.
Old 02-12-10, 01:58 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I just received the two new Bar Methods yesterday and can't wait to try them. I also recently watching some Cardio Barre clips and agree with the 'breakneck speed' comment. I'm borrowing P57 from someone and can't wait to try that either - although it sounds like I should try Bar Method first (walk before you run, so to speak )
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 02:22 PM  
acta5534

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
ITA. I also tell peope to check out clips of P57 and Tanya's personality and the speed of the workout aren't for everyone.
This is true.... I watched the clips and was instantly annoyed by Tanya, so I didn't purchase P57. It really depends on your personality and preferences. I like the mellow, slower pace exercises, and Burr's teaching style is right up my alley. I own many videos with Chatty Cathy instructors who yak on about nothing and I find that very distracting. But many people don't mind the yakking, so everybody is different and you just have to go with what fits your personality. Good luck!
acta5534 is offline   Reply With Quote