Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-18, 07:02 AM  
anjabear

Talking Enjoying Richard Simmons workouts!

I answered a post about some decent cardio that wasn't too hard and thought I would copy, paste, edit and add to it a bit here.

I did Boogie down the pounds yesterday and thought I really need to come here to sing the praises for RS. I think I will doing his workouts for a long time.

A little about me. I am 56, have a hip replacement, have spinal issues which I help a lot by keeping posterior chain strong, post-menopausal, you get the idea.

The cardio choices that work for my body are slimmer now. I do kettlebells as my primary strength workouts so I do get anaerobic work also. But I wanted something that would be fun to do and longer for endurance...

Thanks to VF I found Richard Simmons! Thank you all that post here and share so many great ideas, I appreciate you so much!

For cardio that will work you out but not wipe you out I suggest Richard Simmons Party off the Pounds; Boogie Down the Pounds; and Disco Sweat.

These actually are really good. They go fast enough but not to fast. They use a surprising amount of core. They use the upper body throughout. The people honestly look like they are having fun. Richard is encouraging. There is not too much whooping, a bit but it doesn't last long when there is some. You get a good :50 workout including a warm-up and cool-down.

I am using them now for cardio and really having fun. I did not use them when they came out, never had one. I am 56 yo. I have bought back-ups for when I use these up. I also have the Classic collection with 5 workouts which I also like but less then these three workouts I mention.

When I started using these I had been noticing my endurance seemed to be slipping so I wanted something to do that would be doable and not wipe me out. These are fun. What can I say? I never thought I would be doing Richard Simmons workouts but I sure am and really liking them a lot!

Another thing is that I wanted something stretchy, these are it. I reach like I'm doing Classical Stretch or Essentrics. I have lots of those but I tend to over do and end up with a sore back. With RS I can go full bore but later I don't ache from stretching/reaching too far or too deep.

I find myself smiling throughout these workouts and that is nice.

Also it took me several goes each workout to get the moves so that I can get a good workout. Now I can do one of his classic workouts and pick up the moves easily because he does follow a pattern.

These workouts work me but relax me at the same time. I highly recommend them!

Please share your experience with these workouts; I would love to hear any.

I have, of course, read everything that has already been posted about RS. But any new comments? Surely you all have revisited him as you're aging and want something good, fun but gentler? If not, why not give it a go, you may end up having a great time!
anjabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:26 AM  
sherry7899

I am glad you have found cardio that works for you ! I bought the anniversary edition of the Sweatin to the Oldies set, and I find them really fun also. Richard isn't the best at cuing, but the music and enthusiasm makes up for it. I find great music motivates me more than anything.

Total Fitness dvd has some of his releases for sale right now . You may want to check that out

Oops, I thought Mary's sale had started, but not yet.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 07:28 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Last time I looked and noticed, several of his workouts were on Amazon Prime. I love his music and sing along while working out.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 12:36 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I absolutely *love* Disco Sweat!!!!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 03:28 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Wow, I haven't pulled a Richard Simmons workout off the shelf in years though I will now. Party Off the Pounds was always my favorite, but I also really like Disco Sweat and Sweat & Shout (aka Sweatin to the Oldies 4). Of the original Sweatin to the Oldies set I only kept #3.

I have Boogie Down the Pounds somewhere but remember not liking it as much... maybe it felt too slow? I should try it again.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 06:50 AM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Wow, I haven't pulled a Richard Simmons workout off the shelf in years though I will now. Party Off the Pounds was always my favorite, but I also really like Disco Sweat and Sweat & Shout (aka Sweatin to the Oldies 4). Of the original Sweatin to the Oldies set I only kept #3.

I have Boogie Down the Pounds somewhere but remember not liking it as much... maybe it felt too slow? I should try it again.
I didn't like BDTP until I learned the moves (enough to follow well) and then I really noticed how it works my core. And it works it in a way that won't rev up any extra cortisol, rather I feel happy worked.

I got the idea to buy BOTP, POTP and DS from you all here at VF.
I then ran into the great deal for the classics 1-5 on Amazon at a super low price and had to get it. Now that I have learned to follow Richard I really have fun with them!
Please people retry them with purpose and I think you may be surprised at how much of a nice little workout you get. I rate most Leslie's at a 5, I rate these Richards at a 6. I rate HoCo 10min to 30 min at an 8 usually. Richard's are just so nice. I have no history with him. Back in the day I used Callanetics and Great Weighted workout, period.

If I try to do a RS later in the day, after my kettlebell workout, it is usually to much. They really do work the arms also (RS). And If you reach as high as him and do the sweeping moves you will feel your core as you do the workout. Really nice.

Last edited by anjabear; 07-02-18 at 06:51 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-02-18, 06:37 PM  
carole r.

I just started doing Richard's workouts again too. I really like STTO 1 and 2 and Party Down the Pounds. He's NOT the best at cueing, but his choreography is easy enough to pick up, and the music is so much fun that the time really flies by. My daughter and I love doing these on a Saturday or Sunday.
Old 07-03-18, 08:40 AM  
anjabear

I'm glad others are enjoying these (now) too! It would be a shame to miss out on these because they are dated.

When I first started using them,about a month ago, I had to stop at :30 as I was literally too tired. Wow. Big wake up call. I made it my mission to do them all the way through.
It didn't take me long, a couple weeks, and now I can go all the way through a :50 minute stint.
They are harder then a Leslie; they work the upper body and core steadily throughout. I love that. My post menopause body can use that for sure.
Old 07-03-18, 08:42 AM  
anjabear

Also, I saw that Mary has some of his DVDs on sale today including POTP. Thanks Garrie for posting the sales
Old 07-04-18, 05:40 AM  
Anny

I love his Dance Your Pants Off - I love the cool down to 'The Rose'.

Tags
richard simmons