Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-14, 07:56 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

OK I must fess up...I returned this set. I think if you intend to use all the workouts in the set then it would be fine. I was mainly interested in the "Calm" which meditation, "Fusion" which irritated my back, and "Yoga" which was meh. I don't very often do strength and the cardio was too repetitive.

I also felt this was overpriced for the number of workouts...I kept thinking "I can get the entire Classical Stretch Season 10 for less than this set...that is 23 episodes". Ugh.

I feel kind of bad, but ultimately I returned it. I just didn't think it was a good value for my needs. Someone else might really enjoy the set, though. So if you do...great! Any workouts that you will do is worth it, I think.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:12 AM  
CHAPLYN61

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
Hi, I just wanted to stop in real quick. I got this from Mary a couple of days ago and did 2 of the workouts so far and previewed another. I'm in a hurry...but here's a brief review.

First off, we already know, this is NOT for the hardcore gang here. I bought this mainly because I have disc herniations in my neck and back and my doctor tells me I'm supposed to do more yoga. I had a difficult time getting myself to spend the money, as I think this is ridiculously overpriced but I like Holly Perkins from some other workouts I have with her in them, so I had some points with Mary and used them plus the 10%.

I did the Strength workout first. The band that comes with the set is pretty pink...it is an 8 pound band. I used it for the workout to test it out. I did adjust my grip on it to make it harder as it wasn't strong enough for me on some exercises. I also had to modify a couple exercises with dumbells (you could do this easily and heavy up also) because I'm not supossed to do much over-the- head work. She used the band for the entire workout, even the legs. You do one Strength set of 10-15 reps and she explains (sometimes a bit too slow for my liking - also she is a kinder/gentler instructor - not a screamer and for comparison I used to be advanced but since I put on weight, and am recovering from 2 injuries, I've fallen to high intermediate/low advanced) and then you repeat the Circuit but you do the exercises for 1 minute and go faster. I liked this, as my goal is to lose weight and this raised my heart rate.

As I mentioned above, she sort of explains to much.....a la Tony Horton....which sort of bugs me....but when I know a workout when the instructor does that, I either run in place or start the exercise ahead of time.

Re: the music - some peeps were worried that it was a continuous loop. It is not...I actually noticed it went faster with the exercise. I wouldn't have even thought about the music if it wasn't mentioned here...but I paid attention because of the comments here. I personally didn't like it, but it's no worse than half the crap on a lot of other DVDs.....which is most of them out there. I think the worst music ever is Denise Austin workouts. I think she has a freakin' psycho polka circus or something on hers!

Anyway, back on track. The workout ended with some core work. I should add that it started out with a thorough warmup and stretch and ended with a stretch. I personally like stretches in workouts, as I'm 54, menopausal, have the injury I mentioned and need to stretch! I don't mind.

Other note, these workouts are not long, they are on the shorter side....so yes, you don't get much for your money again. However, I should say the set is nice, production is nice, packaging is nice, etc. Also, after doing today's workout - which I'll review next, I'm realizing this set is core-focused with lots of stretching and cardio/yoga, and this is exactly what my doctor wants me to do. Focus on core-work for my injury and do yoga once to twice a week and I need cardio to lose weight, as I just started focusing on my diet and am planning on losing weight....so this set will be good for me.

Today I did Boost. This was an interval cardio workout with core work mixed in. It started with a thorogh warmup, stretch and then moved into intervals. I did the high impact on the Rebounder, but she does have a low impact modifier. Cardio moves included, speed skater, jumping squats, jump rope, jumping lunges, high knees, running, etc. Core work included a lot of plank work, plank work with jacks, plank with superman legs, plank with legs jumping in and then some ab work lying on your back....finished with stretch. I think this workout was around 45 minutes total maybe a touch shorter....while the strength workout was around 45-50 minutes.

I'm happy I purchased this for the reasons mentioned above about it being core focused with the yoga.....and this being what my doctor ordered.

I previewed the Fusion workout and it looks like a Yoga workout that has a lot of repetitive yoga moves ....like Jillian's yoga workouts that get your HR up.

that's all for now....more to come...............

ETA: for those who care about HR...I wore my HRM and I got my HR up to 154 for some of my intervals....but I'm just coming back from a broken ankle/foot. I believe you get what you put into a workout out of it....so you could work as hard as you want. My sister stopped over at the beginning of my workout....so my monitor was on for a bit over the workout, but with her 10 minute visit on during my monitor being on, I burned a total of 625 calories........which I think is pretty good! I weigh 180 and I'm 5'7" .....yes, I have lots of weight to lose....I'm trying to lose 60 pounds!! Wish me luck!
Nice review, please report back when you get a chance to do the rest as this is on my radar. I am looking for a kinder, gentler rotation down the road. Good luck with your rotation.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 11:17 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Thank you for the reviews so far. I'm going to pass since this set is expensive for the amount of workouts you receive. I have tons of yoga/fusion workouts anyway.
Old 03-19-14, 12:52 PM  
amery

Yes, thank you for the reviews. They are really helpful! Maybe someday if it is on sale during one of Mary's sales I will purchase it.
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 04:16 PM  
twinkletoes

bumping
Old 03-28-14, 07:56 PM  
Sophb21

I so wish this set was cheaper!
Sophb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 05:25 PM  
sherry7899

OLD THREAD Alert

This set is now $15.00 on Amazon.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 05:32 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
OLD THREAD Alert

This set is now $15.00 on Amazon.
Wow! I'm certainly tempted!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-18, 07:21 PM  
Pam

Thanks Sherry! I ordered! I had been holding off ordering Strong by Zumba until I had $25 total order to get the free shipping.
Old 07-15-18, 09:00 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Bought it from Amazon back in February 2017 for $15.99 so it must've been cheap for a while. I gave it away so I don't even remember the workouts but it was beautifully packaged.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baladea