Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-18, 04:50 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Yes, I used Sun-In too as a teen!

I went from blonde to dark blonde to mousy brown as I aged. Started getting highlights a bunch of years ago. My stylist says that my color of hair doesn't usually turn the pretty gray/silver. OTOH, my mom had gorgeous bright gray/silver hair when she got older so I'm hoping...I would ditch the highlights in a heartbeat...

Recently, DH & I were looking at pics from 20 years ago. He said, "Gosh, I look like an old man now, but you hardly look any different at all!" I told him that's because I color my hair (that, and is blind!). I wish he would use Grecian Formula or the like--nothing ages a guy like having a gray/white beard. But with my guy, it's not happening... ( him always, anyway!!)

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-18, 07:18 PM  
mandie123

I had black hair as a child,started bleaching it blonde as a teenager.Continued with a frosted(old cap) look forever,til one day I was having foils done,and I noticed my grey hair was the same color as the hair they were bleaching.So,after that,I let it grow out and it looked as good.Now,it's almost completely white,I'am lucky I live in Asheville where it's the norm among older women.I get alot of compliments on the color,now my prob is it's getting thinner on top which I think maybe genetic
Old 07-06-18, 05:07 AM  
Aunt Famous

I wrote about my decision to go grey on my blog --- www.typeALC.com -- in the story called "Roots." My last color was in May 2017, and it was at my husband's request.

It has been a long process. Continents have drifted apart faster than my hair has grown out. Before it looked purposeful, when I just looked like I didn't care, there were a lot of tears. I have a hairdresser who tells me both that he loves me and that my hair is ugly. Now, I still have 3 or 4 inches of red hair, but I wear my hair pulled off my face, and I can't see the red.

I do not have beautiful white hair. I have interesting salt and pepper hair. I have grown to love it. The most surprising side effect is the amount of kindness that it inspires me to show myself. I don't look in the mirror any more and see a weatherbeaten 35 year-old. I see a woman who will be 50 in 10 days, a woman who has earned her stripes. Literally!

The second most surprising thing is that I now have twice as much hair. My poor fine hair broke like crazy during all the coloring. It is now strong, healthy, and much fuller.

The third most surprising thing is how much people like it. Amusingly, younger men are its #1 fan (not that I'm in the market). I have regained my confidence (remember, the first 6 months were hard), and I am rocking it. I have really embraced self-expression and have begun making most of my own clothes. I feel very much me.

The best advice I got was time, patience, alcohol, and Jesus -- choose your order. I learned that this is just a funny way of saying that there's not a whole lot you can do in the process but ride it out. I have been sporting an ear-length bob for about 8 months as it grows. I have been very open about it, posting current photos on FB and owning it.

I have learned a lot in the transition. It has switched from being all about my hair to being something larger for me -- self-acceptance, comfort with growing older, confidence. I hated it until I absolutely loved it.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 07:19 AM  
Dontmindthemess

I'm 48 and I'm at least 50% (maybe more) gray. I found my first gray around 16. My natural color was a warm medium brown and I have a lot of hair, even now I know it's thinner now but it's still thick by other people's standards. As a teen and into my early 20s I colored my hair platinum blonde, dark brown, even red for a bit. It was great fun! When I started having kids I just kept my natural color and I actually went on pretty happily like this until I hit 30.

My mom always colored her hair and she did it herself, even after her aneurysm, when she was confused about so many things, she had my daughter or my niece color it for her. She even had me promise her once when I was in my early 20s that I would never let my hair go gray, it was such a thing with her. My young naive self assumed that I would actually let my hair go gray

It seemed like one day I woke up with gray temples and noticeable gray at my crown. I remember stopping by my parents with my hair in a ponytail and my mom seriously telling me that it was time (it really makes me chuckle now). Other people had commented on it even, almost like they were surprised that it was there. I still looked really young at 30, so none of this even remotely bothered me, but what did bother me was I hated the way it looked. It wasn't pretty or cool looking to me the way I imagined it, it looked muddy and dirty. So I started with blonde highlights that worked well camouflaging the grays but eventually I felt like my hair was getting too blonde so I switched back to the medium brown. When my stylist moved I started coloring my own hair with a semi-permanent color, but recently I had enough of coloring at home. I felt stressed out as soon as I saw my roots, which was always after two weeks. I would think about growing out my gray but I just don't think I'm ready to be gray yet, and I'm not sure I could mentally handle the process.

Now I'm back to the highlights. I do have to have my roots done every six weeks, but it's not every four like I was doing on my own. I found a great colorist and I'm really happy with the way my hair looks now, my only regret is that I agonized over the coloring for so long. Will I get tired of this in the future? I'm sure I will! At some point I am planning to be gray but I'm just not ready yet, I think it'll make me look 10 years older (even with a great cut) and it might be shallow but I just want to look my age.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 10:15 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
I wrote about my decision to go grey on my blog --- www.typeALC.com -- in the story called "Roots.". . .
Absolutely loved your posts (here and on your blog). You are such a gifted writer!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 10:48 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Absolutely loved your posts (here and on your blog). You are such a gifted writer!
Ditto!! I'm off to read the blog!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 11:11 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Ditto!! I'm off to read the blog!
And another who loves your writing!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 02:05 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I started coloring my own hair a few years ago (and doing my own highlights!) mostly since it just got too expensive.

I do it every six weeks and I only use Clairol's Brass-Free Natural Instincts (which is only a semi-permanent) (light brown) and then I use the Clairol Frost kit (yes, the old-style pull through cap). This covers most of the grays and the highlights/frosts make the grays blend into the brown. Most people have no idea I've been doing own hair and they comment how much prettier it is than when I paid hundreds for the same thing at the salon!

I have no plans to stop dying my hair, as it actually helps with the coarseness and it looks fantastic. I buy the dye and frost kit on Amazon in bulk and it turns out to be about $15 every six weeks (better than $150!).

I also bought professional shears and I cut my own hair too -- easy breezy when it's long. Again, no one has a clue that I cut my own hair, but I absolutely love doing my own hair -- I've saved thousands in the past few years!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 02:07 PM  
buffmama

I love my grey and credit/thank Mom for accepting hers gracefully. I figure when it's more than highlights I will dye it lavender and really have some fun.
Old 07-06-18, 02:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Aunt Famous, I also loved your post and especially the words "continents have drifted apart faster..." I can't believe anyone (let alone your hairstylist) would ever say that your hair color was ugly. So many people (maybe without meaning to) are hurtful with words like that. I also checked out your blog, briefly. You're gorgeous and so creative!

I've really appreciated reading everyone's experiences with their hair! It's been fun!

Last week I cut off about eight inches in length, as the first stage to letting my own natural hair grow out. I do have a long way to go...probably a dozen or more months before it doesn't look like I've been too lazy to color my hair. It's just resting on my shoulders (barely) and I will continue to trim the ends every few months or so.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote