Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-18, 02:23 PM  
pharma_gal

Instant pot - 3 qt vs 6 qt

I want to get an instant pot but can’t decide which size to get. I want to use it as much as I can but we are only 3 in the house. We have guests sometimes but not too often and when we do I prefer ordering from out as it’s difficut to prepare meals with my toddler as is. Should I just get the smaller size? I should also mention that we like to switch things up every couple days so I don’t cook anything in large quantities that last a week or so. Most of my meals last about 2 days. Any input? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 02:48 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have a 6 quart and there are only 2 of us. We do like leftovers for lunch & I often freeze soups & chili for my adult kids. My DIL especially loves to take them to work for lunch. So you might do fine with a 3 quart.

EDIT - If you want to cook larger vegetables like squash & sweet potatoes, you might find the 3 quart a bit small. Both are so quick & easy in the IP and easy to peel.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 03:56 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

I'd check to see if they have replacement sealing rings for the 3 qt. They only last a year or two so it's important. That said, I have the 6 qt lux for 2 of us and I think I could get by with just a 3. I don't do much pot in pot cooking and the few times I've cooked a brisket or something similar I probably could have cut it down to fit.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 03:58 PM  
sherry7899

There are replacement rings for the 3 quart on Amazon.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-18, 04:38 PM  
JustSandra

I have a 3-quart, which so far is working out fine for a single-person household. I use it mainly for preparing grains and beans.

However, if you plan to make yogurt in it, or if you like to make extra food for leftovers, you may want to get the 6-quart.

Another consideration is where you will store it. I have a neighbor who has an 8-quart one and she says it is a space hog. I keep my little 3-quart out on the counter, where it looks darn cute.

You can get all the accessories for the 3-quart size at Amazon.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 12:18 PM  
Exercise Diva

I have the 5 quart and wished I had gone for the 6 quart and we only have the 2 of us now. I think the 3 quart would be very limiting but it depends upon what you are planning to cook/use it for.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 12:27 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
I have a 3-quart, which so far is working out fine for a single-person household. I use it mainly for preparing grains and beans.

However, if you plan to make yogurt in it, or if you like to make extra food for leftovers, you may want to get the 6-quart.

Another consideration is where you will store it. I have a neighbor who has an 8-quart one and she says it is a space hog. I keep my little 3-quart out on the counter, where it looks darn cute.

You can get all the accessories for the 3-quart size at Amazon.
Sandra, how many cups of beans can you make in the 3 quart? I am having a hard time deciding between the 3 and 6 quart as well. I would be using it primarily for grains and beans also.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 12:27 PM  
momofcha

6 qt. We can barely get 3 chicken breasts in this and couldn't imagine a smaller one.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 12:31 PM  
sherry7899

I have a 6 quart and a 3 quart. My six quart did not have the yogurt fuction, and I decided I wanted that. I use it for side dishes also. Kohls had a great sale and I had coupons and Kohl's cash so it was only $46.00.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-18, 01:59 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

I have the 6-quart and it's just the two of us. I do a lot of batch cooking in mine. If it was just me to cook for, a 3-quart would probably be adequate, but for three people, I think the 6-quart would be the most versatile. I think most recipes are geared for the 6-quart, too.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote