Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-17, 08:34 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Tony Horton has rare form of shingles

I just found out about this and wanted to share since I don't see it posted on VF yet. I know so many people who have had shingles recently, but the type he has sounds especially horrible.

https://www.self.com/story/tony-hort...-hunt-syndrome
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-17, 09:08 PM  
daisyduke

I Love tony! I hope he is well soon.
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 01:56 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

That is really sad. I recently read articles in the NY Times about a new form of shingles vaccine. It is supposed to be much more effective in preventing shingles than the previous vaccine. It is taken in 2 shots, and can cause arm pain and some fever, but they said that those side effects are mild compared to the risks of complications from shingles. Although Tony mentions stress as a cause of shingles, the bigger cause is the virus from chicken pox that stays in the system and brings on shingles later in life.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 06:58 AM  
sherry7899

I feel terrible for him. I hope the issues from it go away very soon. That sounds awful!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 07:26 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I feel so badly for him and anyone who experiences this, and all forms of shingles. I've had people describe regular shingles to me as the worst pain in their life.

I've no doubt stress can be a powerful trigger. He mentions having a lot of anger and stress that he relieves by high intensity exercise. Which pounds the body (and he is no longer young) and sounds like a recipe for something like this.

Hopefully he'll recover just fine!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 08:00 AM  
Rhonda

My hubby had shingles and it was not fun. He hurt and even riding in the car, the bumps on the road would hurt him. Took over a month on meds to get rid of it.

Hope he gets better quickly.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 09:01 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

That sounds miserable. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
Old 11-15-17, 09:50 AM  
Fit Gal

So sorry for Tony Horton.
I had shingles in my 40s. It caused a horrible tingling sensation but thank goodness it went away.
An important thing to note is you need to get on the anti-viral meds asap. There's a short window of time that they will work properly.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 10:01 AM  
upperwside

I had a very mild case of shingles 5 years ago. I think moving countries and fully renovating a 118 year old house with 2 small children did it ("don't eat the plaster" was said many times!! ha). I was also living with my mother in-law while doing this reno.. if that doesn't seriously stress you out.. I don't know what will!!!

Well.. shingles.. it's horrible.. and I had a VERY mild case. Felt like I was hit by a truck. Worse than the worst flu. Incredible pain and so tired. I am getting the new vaccine as soon as it is available in Canada. My Dad had a bad case of shingles and still has balance issues related to it 7 years later. I got lucky and am not taking the risk of getting it again. I am 45 this month.. so I got it at a young age.. it can happen!!!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 10:07 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
That is really sad. I recently read articles in the NY Times about a new form of shingles vaccine. It is supposed to be much more effective in preventing shingles than the previous vaccine. It is taken in 2 shots, and can cause arm pain and some fever, but they said that those side effects are mild compared to the risks of complications from shingles. Although Tony mentions stress as a cause of shingles, the bigger cause is the virus from chicken pox that stays in the system and brings on shingles later in life.
Hi Abby -

I read that same article last week too. It was very compelling.

A link - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/h...ttom-well&_r=0)

And a quote -
Quote:
But the new vaccine protects nearly as well in older groups as in the middle-aged. Shingrix racked up a 97 percent effectiveness rate in adults over age 50 and, in a separate study of people over age 70, prevented 90 percent of shingles in those 70 to well past age 80.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramsay hunt syndrome, shingles vaccination, shingrix, tony horton, vaccines