Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-01-20, 08:35 AM  
Vantreesta

Endurance Check in for Fall 2020 ~Run Bike Swim Hike

New month, new goals, newcomers welcome!

INTRO: This check-in celebrates the art of staying in motion. Some of us are training for marathons, some for 5Ks and others for triathlons. Some of us are just training for life or trying to keep up with life.

We talk a lot about running, but we are also cyclists, occasional swimmers, hikers, past and future triathletes and any other long distance sport you can think of. We struggle with fitting in all the workouts, what we "should" be doing to overcoming injuries and life's challenges. We learn from one another and trade training tips, links to cute workout clothes and, of course, recommendations for good workouts.

This thread will be for September, October and November.

Fall questions:
1. Has your endurance training changed without races to train for?
2. What is your go-to activity for stress management?
3. If you could learn something new, fitness or otherwise, what would it be?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 08:35 AM  
Vantreesta

Happy September! Even when it's warm out now I can feel the difference btwn summer and fall warmth and I am happy it's finally cooling off. I think I will try to start each day this month by posting a positive like this. My mom used to post a positive thought or quote on Facebook every night before bed. She said she wanted her FB friends to always see smthg positive first thing in the morning, a bright spot in all the negative stuff posted and the news. She did this until the end, no matter how hard her day may have been. If only I could be even half as positive, generous and friendly as she was....

We spent the wknd with my father-in-law, which was good. Yesterday I spent 6 hours driving (round trip) to spend a couple hours with my dad. It was worth it to see him. I listened to the Mind Pump podcast the whole time and have decided that, especially since there's no race to be training for, I'm going to start CLX three days a week and only plan to run twice a week. They said when a client comes to them wanting to lose weight but also build muscle they always start with the muscle building, which often includes an increase in calorie intake to feed the new muscle. Once more muscle is built and the metabolism boosted it is easier then to lose weight. I have been so bad about strength training the last few years and chosen running if I had to miss workouts and I don't want to keep losing muscle. I will also be making a sincere effort (finally) to clean up my eating.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-01-20, 07:49 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning I did my pelvic stability and glute strength PT exercises and then day 24 of the DYY challenge. Pretty low energy today and ended up taking a nap this afternoon and no other workouts.

Old 09-02-20, 10:23 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Fall questions:
1. Has your endurance training changed without races to train for? It's actually improved, but that's cause I have more time to work on it.
2. What is your go-to activity for stress management? Lately it's been the bike. But it changes often.
3. If you could learn something new, fitness or otherwise, what would it be? This is a toughie since there are so many things I'd like to learn. Surfing has always been on my list. I found my daughter's old skateboard recently, and I'd like to learn to do that too. I went rock climbing once and loved it, so I'd like to learn techniques there too. Nonfitness, I'd like to learn really good kitchen skills. I can cook and bake, but it's not smooth. I'd also like to learn French (was supposed to leave for my Europe trip tonight, so once that was cancelled, I gave up on learning).

Vantreesta: We're thinking the same way with lifting right now. Enjoy CLX. I finished it once quite a while ago now.

I think I posted Monday, so yesterday was STS meso 2 week 3 legs and a 15 min Peloton abs. Today was a mash up of 3 different Peloton rides with my guys Denis and Ben.

Waves to everyone!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 12:55 PM  
Vantreesta

Today I'm thankful for the warm comfortable smell of Cyric's soft coat and the way he wraps his paws around my forearms for our mind meld and the way he runs to me for attention whenever I sit down.

I have to come up with answers for my own questions still! Alison, I like your answer for learning smthg new. It's good to want to expand our knowledge. I finished CLX once a long time ago. I've restarted several times since then but always got derailed. I feel like I'm still all over the place so I hope I can stick with it (once I get started!).

Old 09-04-20, 07:03 AM  
Vantreesta

Wrote this last night but forgot to post!

Today I'm thankful for cooler weather and music. This morning I did day 25 of the DYY challenge before our 3 mi walk then I bounced on my rebounder for 10 min and finished with a Dark Horse Rowing stretch. I was finally able to pry the batteries out of my elliptical and i also emailed them back with the serial number and stuff. A power adapter will cost $35. Cheaper than batteries for the life of it!

Old 09-07-20, 09:52 PM  
Vantreesta

We hiked Sat and Sun, almost 6 mi and almost 8 mi. Today I went for a walk by myself (couldn't pick Cyric up till afternoon), did CLX Burn Circuit 1 and TurboFire Stretch 10 then watched baseball. Unfortunately, hubby had to go in to work all day. I have been fighting off a migraine all day and didn't feel like cooking so picked up Panda Express for supper.

Old 09-09-20, 08:10 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

It's been a week again since I posted, but I'm still staying on track. I finish STS meso 2 tomorrow. Yay! Only 4 more weeks to go to finish the rotation, which is always huge for me since I'm not always good at rotations.

Since my last check-in:
Thurs: STS meso 2 week 3 back & biceps, 20 min peloton abs, ran 2.5 miles in disgusting humidity
Fri: Hiked 7.6 miles at Prince William Forest Park. One of the bridges was out and we had to cross a stream twice. I took my shoes off the first time, and the rocks on the bottom hurt my feet so bad. I kept them on the second time and finished the hike in wet shoes.
Sat: recovery Peloton ride and Earth Body Yoga
Sun: Ran 3.5 min/walked 1.5 min for 4.5 miles around Burke Lake. Did it almost 4 min faster than last week! Also walked around the Reflecting Pool in DC in the evening.
Mon: STS Meso 2 week 4 chest, shoulders, triceps; Peloton 20 minute abs; Peloton 30 min yoga
Tues: STS M2 w4 legs, PY4H Quickie
Wed: Peloton 30 min ride with Ally and 45 min power zone ride with Denis.

My sleep has gotten really, really bad. I'm not sure if it's overtraining, stress, or just perimenopause. I'm taking Saturdays as active recovery, so I don't feel like I'm doing too much. I might not be eating enough now that STS is at 80% of 1RM, so I made some tweaks there. We shall see!
Old 09-12-20, 10:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Sorry I've been so bad about posting and replying!

Workouts were pretty much nothing this week after starting off strong. Tue was groceries,
Wed cleaning, Thu errands and starting Halloween decorating, yesterday was pretty much all decorating, only really stopped for meals. We only walked in the morning. But my village is all up as well as most of the other indoor stuff. Outside will wait a couple weeks and I have to trim bushes before I can put lights on them. My dad is here for a week so I probably won't be posting.

Have a great week and waves to all!

Old 09-15-20, 07:48 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I'm still chugging along. Sleep is slightly better but still not good. I started STS meso 3 this week, and so far, so good. Still working from home. DH has to go back to the office in 2 weeks. As far as I know, I have no set end date.

Since my last check-in:
Thurs: STS meso 2, week 4 back & biceps; STS Abs-Pilates style; 15 minute good stretch
Fri: Oldie but goodie--Brazil Butt Lift High & Tight, Peloton 30 min yoga with Denis, 35 minute walk
Sat: Peloton reset ride with Denis, Earth Body Yoga
Sun: Ran 3.5 min/walked 1.5 min around lake (4.5 miles), walked 30 min
Mon: STS meso 3, week 1 back & chest; 10 min of abs on my own
Tues: STS meso 3, week 1 legs; PY4H quickie