Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-18, 06:15 AM  
Tanja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

Honestly, I don't think it matters what you do for a program. The key is eating whole foods, and daily movement. Stay faithful and you'll see "results".
I agree with this statement. Regular exercise changes your body on a cellular level such as you have no need for blood sugar/blood pressure/cholesterol, or similar medications. Your body aches less and stays agile and flexible. However, if you want to see visible results, you need to lower the subcutaneous fat layer and that is done by reducing food intake - either consciously or unconsciously.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 11:16 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Very interesting thread. Several years ago, I did a 1-2-3 rotation of Firm Classics--2 weeks of nothing but those 3 workouts. I think someone on vf had suggested a month-long rotation, but I was sick of them after about 3 rounds. Those 2 weeks melted off my outer thigh/"saddlebag" area like nothing ever had before. Or since.
Try playing your own music.
Old 03-18-18, 12:38 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
I agree with this statement. Regular exercise changes your body on a cellular level such as you have no need for blood sugar/blood pressure/cholesterol, or similar medications. Your body aches less and stays agile and flexible. However, if you want to see visible results, you need to lower the subcutaneous fat layer and that is done by reducing food intake - either consciously or unconsciously.
Some people still have problems with blood sugar/cholesterol/pressure due to genetics or other issues. Exercise might help with that, but they still might need meds. I think making healthier choices is better than reducing food intake - focusing on fueling your body in healthy ways rather than just eating less food.
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 01:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
What fitness routine have you done that made you see changes in your body, such as increased muscle growth and definition? How long did it take for you to see changes?
definitely running, the Firm, Callanetics 10/10 and Slim Series.

weight loss and definition. changes occured in roughly 2-3 weeks, working out 6 days/week for roughly an hour each time. running/jogging, though inconsistent, has caused an internal change - that i have excellent endurance resulting in a very low RHR.

two primary reasons come to mind as to why i think it changed me: (1) consistency (2) mindset.

i had taken a weight training class in college and used to jog for fitness. weight training was very sporadic since i didn't own any equipment at home. videos changed all of that for me!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 01:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Honestly, I don't think it matters what you do for a program. The key is eating whole foods, and daily movement. Stay faithful and you'll see "results".
I agree!

Results don't necessarily mean the same thing to everyone. For me the key is doing workouts I enjoy and that leave me feeling good after. Essentrics, Pilates, barre, & yoga have changed how my body feels by strengthening my core, improving flexibility & balance, and general firming & toning. I have struggled with low back, hip, & knee pain and all are now under control. Feeling good & being pain free is the goal, looking fit and toned is a bonus! I'll never be "ripped", too late for that, but I'm happy with the changes I've achieved.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 01:59 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I got into great shape in the 80s with running and high impact aerobics classes. I loved both and would still do them if I could but alas, my knees just can't take the impact.

A mix of yoga, other body weight exercises, strength training with weights, walking and cycling has worked well for me.

In January I made some dietary tweaks, and my menopooch is almost gone. All the physical stuff I do is great, but what made me lose stubborn belly fat was dietary changes, which I am making permanent.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 03:24 PM  
Footballnut

10-15 years ago, I did very well with Slim in 6, Slim Series and later on Brazil Butt Lift. Now I have terrible hip pain (I suspect piriformis issues) and I am 52, so I cannot do those any more. I am still trying to find what is effective and wont make me hurt in the process.
Old 03-19-18, 01:17 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
definitely running, the Firm, Callanetics 10/10 and Slim Series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
10-15 years ago, I did very well with Slim in 6, Slim Series and later on Brazil Butt Lift. Now I have terrible hip pain (I suspect piriformis issues) and I am 52, so I cannot do those any more. I am still trying to find what is effective and wont make me hurt in the process.
Slim Series is the only thing that leaned out my pear shape, even more than running. I used to be quite a broken record about it around here However, there's no way I can devote the time investment they required anymore and they were very hard on my body even 15 years ago.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 01:57 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Pretty much every fitness routine made me see changes in my body, the real question for me was finding a routine I enjoyed and could stick with, one that made me feel good and not beat up.
This!

About 2 months ago we got a new family member, a 7 mo. old Shep/Husky mix and the daily walks (usually 1-2x 30-40 min) really made some vanity pounds come right off, without even trying! (I eat a lot, whole foods/plant based, but still enjoy my treats! ).
I'm still struggling with adrenal fatigue, so I mostly do 10-15 min pilates or barre segments every day, but sometimes walking is all I do.
[My poor Leslie collection is getting completely neglected! LOL)

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 03:09 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Horizontal Conditioning without a doubt, tough to keep consistent with it, but gosh, my body responds to this more than anything else.

Also, Yvette's workouts on youtube have really amped up my cardio capacity (even though I modify nearly all the impact).
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest change, body weight workouts, over 50, results, successful weight loss, weights only