Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-12-14, 05:26 PM  
violingal3

Oh man, I am sorry! I always put blind faith in the post office that my package will make it safely, but now I'll definitely think twice about insurance.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 05:29 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

With regards to repackaging items, I once received a package (from the US) containing one DVD with the case smashed to sharp shards. The DVD was badly scratched of course. I knew something was wrong when the package arrived with heavy tape all over it and a repackage sticker from the USPS. Inside was a letter of apology and explanation that sometimes things are beyond their control and they will learn from it....no compensation however.

I think it is worth reporting strange events with the mail, sometimes a few events add up to finding a problem which wouldn't otherwise be noted.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 05:54 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

One solution might be to follow what Alta used to do--absolutely encase the package in tape so it really requires effort to open. That would at least avoid the "oops, I opened it" scenario. And the tape could possibly provide extra protection for the contents...maybe!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 05:59 PM  
Stephanie_B

I've had similar things like GeekyGirl with the package and DVDs being mangled, and everyone has been nice about it (meaning the trade partners/nothing I could do as far as money).

I'm sorry for everyone's experiences.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 06:09 PM  
tamib

I've had 2 things on ebay end up being broken and had no trouble getting the insurance money back from the post office, so it does pay, just make sure you hang on to your receipts. My friend trades a lot on paperbackswap and she once received a sci-fi novel instead of the romance the other person was supposed to have sent, there was a note saying the package had been caught in the machine at the post office, it was repackaged also, we figured maybe a couple of packages with books got busted and they just stuffed it back in where they thought it went.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 06:26 PM  
Fidget Queen

Yes, quite recently my Cathe Timesaver set was stolen. It never arrived. How many things do post office employees make off with??!!

My trade partner was extremely gracious and waited over a month for me to return home and send her something else.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 06:29 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
One solution might be to follow what Alta used to do--absolutely encase the package in tape so it really requires effort to open. That would at least avoid the "oops, I opened it" scenario. And the tape could possibly provide extra protection for the contents...maybe!
Oh good idea!
Old 02-12-14, 06:34 PM  
barreboxbell

Oddly enough, I bought a pair of high-end tweezers on eBay. The next day, I ordered a pair of expensive workout pants. The tweezers were fake (logo rubbed off right away) and the pants had a whole in the crotch (not listed in the description), so I sent both back. One on Monday, the next on Tuesday. BOTH got lost, so eBay couldn't give me a refund, bummer. Then, I ordered a workout jacket. It also got lost in the mail. Luckily, that time I did get a refund. I now ONLY ship via the Priority Mail that includes insurance. Since USPS lost three packages of mine in a 1 week window, I'm now wary.

I'm really sorry that that happened to you. Unfortunately, without insurance you're not likely to get any help from USPS. Believe me, I've tried. I remember, years ago, my friend shipped a guitar. I helped him package it. He sold it for over $1,000. USPS broke it in half during transit. It was insured, and the buyer got a refund from them. I would always recommend insuring if the value is over $50. Sometimes it's even cheaper to use the insured Priority Mail. I hope this never happens to you again.
barreboxbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 07:38 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
How easy is it to make an insurance claim and get your money back, though? Does anyone know or have experience with that? (Pie, I saw your story; did they give you a hard time?)

The reason I ask is I know I have heard in the past of people being made to jump through all kinds of hoops in order to get reimbursed for lost packages. However, I can't remember if the carrier was USPS, UPS, or someone else. But I know I always think of that when they ask me if I want insurance.
They didn't really give me a hard time but I remember having to wait over a month while they "verified" it. But, the one thing they don't tell you is that even with insurance, you must have both forms to make a claim. 1) The form you fill out that states the value and 2) Your shipping receipt. Now, I'm not sure why the 1st item is mandatory because all the needed info is on the shipping receipt. Probably just another way for them to get out of paying the claim.......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 07:49 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have had maybe two things that have gone missing...fortunately they were dvds I was gifting someone. Strange.

Colleen I have never heard such a crazy story and am sad for you. And Sue, I am so sorry about your set.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
package insurance, usps