Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-14, 03:30 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I talked to the postal worker at my local office and he said that without insurance there was nothing I could do. He even doubted the story, actually. Of course, it's such an odd crazy story I didn't even blame, TBH. Why would someone just take out 1/3 of the package, repackage it and send it on? SO freaking weird!!
Old 02-12-14, 03:32 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
That really stinks. Definitely tell the Post Office!

So far, I've never had anything stolen from the postal system.

ETA: So much for my naive assumption that a tracking # on a package would signal to someone that a package was being watched as it travelled through the postal system, thereby making it less likely to be tampered with at all.

Exactly my thoughts! Why bother with the tracking number at all. I always got tracking numbers for my packages unless I sent it with stamps from home, but apparently that was a waste of money.
Old 02-12-14, 03:37 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
Wow! I'm so sorry that happened, for both your sakes. Definitely tell the post office; they need to know.

Our old property manager would sign for packages and then take them. She'd pretend to lose them and she had such a bumbling way about her that it fooled everybody for a long time. But nobody will reimburse you for a package that was signed for. Among other things, she took my (very heavy prescription) $300 contact lenses before she was fired for writing personal checks with the community's check book. They were useless to most people. I always wondered what she did with those contacts, like, did she have a tiny bit of guilt about taking them.
Holy Moly! It always baffles me when people steal other people's glasses or contacts. It's like...exactly what do you plan to do with something that is so uniquely tailored to a specific person??
Old 02-12-14, 03:45 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

eyefit - sorry this happened. omg.

it's a coincidence hearing your story because i just read an article in the local paper about 2 postal workers who were arrested and found guilty of stealing gift cards from mail that was in transit.

one of the thieves stole 2 different gift cards, 1 from a local supermarket (Foodland) and 1 from Target.

they nabbed the thief because his wife used the Foodland gift card and his daughter, who lives on the mainland, used the Target giftcard.

i thought it was noteworthy because whenever you buy GC's, the vendor tells you "treat it like cash because we cannot replace it." i agree with that part, but i always assumed that the vendor wouldn't bother helping you track down an alleged stolen GC.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 03:47 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

That's awful. So weird that they stole only one set of DVDs, too.

Never had a package tampered with like that, but we had one Amazon order stolen. UPS left the box by my side door, someone opened the box and stole one of the two items inside, then put the box in my recycling bin.

I assumed the whole package was stolen when I got the UPS "delivered" notification and the box wasn't where it was supposed to be. I filed claims with UPS and Amazon, then two days later went to put some newspapers in the recycling bin and discovered the ripped-open box. The thief left me the wood-floor cleaner I'd ordered and stole......DH's gadget-of-the-moment, a (cheap) battery-operated wine-bottle opener. Guess the thief had the same random taste as DH, hah.
Old 02-12-14, 04:03 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Yes, I've had items come up missing with USPS but I always buy insurance if it's valued over $100. Well, years ago when the PSP system first came out, I shipped the system along with some games to someone in the military. Because it was going out of the country, I had to list the contents. My first thought was that someone will be enticed to steal it.

Well, a couple weeks passed and nothing. I had to file a claim with USPS and they were not happy to reimburse me the $400 but I was so happy to have the insurance..........

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 04:10 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Yes, I've had items come up missing with USPS but I always buy insurance if it's valued over $100. Well, years ago when the PSP system first came out, I shipped the system along with some games to someone in the military. Because it was going out of the country, I had to list the contents. My first thought was that someone will be enticed to steal it.

Well, a couple weeks passed and nothing. I had to file a claim with USPS and they were not happy to reimburse me the $400 but I was so happy to have the insurance..........
Ah, smart lady! You know what's funny is that I had this tingly feeling of hesitation when the lady asked me, as she always does, if I wanted to buy the package insurance. For a second I thought about the value of what I was sending but brushed it off. I mean, it's the US postal service...of course I can trust them and it will get there, right??? I hate it when my naivete bites me in the butt. You'd think at 41 I wouldn't be such a Pollyanna! lol
Old 02-12-14, 04:14 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
That's awful. So weird that they stole only one set of DVDs, too.

Never had a package tampered with like that, but we had one Amazon order stolen. UPS left the box by my side door, someone opened the box and stole one of the two items inside, then put the box in my recycling bin.

I assumed the whole package was stolen when I got the UPS "delivered" notification and the box wasn't where it was supposed to be. I filed claims with UPS and Amazon, then two days later went to put some newspapers in the recycling bin and discovered the ripped-open box. The thief left me the wood-floor cleaner I'd ordered and stole......DH's gadget-of-the-moment, a (cheap) battery-operated wine-bottle opener. Guess the thief had the same random taste as DH, hah.
I always get SO nervous when UPS leaves my Amazon packages and we're not there. OTOH, I really hate it when we have to sign for a package, like FedEx does, and they repeatedly come during the day when we aren't home and at work. I guess that's a no-win situation, either you're risking theft or dealing with a huge PITA. I have to admit, I have so little time to track down random packages by going to the nearest FedEx center when they can't deliver (which is 30 minutes away) I'd rather they leave the packages. I'll never forget when I bought my Jumpsport rebounder...I was shaking in my boots waiting for it to come so it wouldn't be outside for very long and tempt thieves!
Old 02-12-14, 04:15 PM  
prettyinpink

That is odd. I think I'd want a photo of that package including a close up of the postal stamps showing that it what through the system and where it was stamped. If it to wasn't stamped in your hometown, there must be some sort of process you can go through. And if it isn't stamped at all or wasn't logged in anywhere, then that is useful info too.

Surely the USPs wants to know if they have a thief working for them?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 04:17 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Wow, such weird stories!! Colleen, sorry to hear you're out on your trade, and the contact lenses! I can only presume the thief had some sort of mental illness... I mean, really. Contact lenses?? How is that even useful to someone else?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
package insurance, usps