Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-29-20, 03:49 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, 6 weeks?? Oof. I agree that age seems to have a big impact. I feel like it's so tough to burn fat or build muscle and see any real change. I suppose I just need to give it enough time. Do you do cardio every day?

I did a 15 minute Peloton bike HIIT workout today, and then Beast Build Legs, which was a mistake! Or maybe I should just have gone lighter. I mostly used 8, 10, and 12 lb dumbbells and found it tough to use good form. I felt like it went faster than yesterday's chest workout, which was a little strange.

I'm weirdly at peace with Sagi and his weird comments! He keeps calling himself Beast and giving the other guys a hard time, and it doesn't bug me. The one thing I'm not sure of with these workouts is sticking with the second phase for 5 weeks. I'm doing the Lean rotation. Oh and then by the third phase I may be totally over the set. So I may shorten the last two phases by a week or so.

I feel like I'm pretty strict about my kids and technology. They don't have phones (though they tell me EVERYONE at their school has had them since kindergarten and I tend to believe them) and I limit their time on the TV, on their tablets, and Nintendo. Still, these days it feels like there isn't much else to do, especially since I'm working and can't take them anywhere.

Alison, thank you for the reassurance! As I keep hearing, these are "unprecedented times" and we all do what we can to get through. I'm really hard on myself, I know, and it's nice for someone else to remind me to relax.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 11:32 AM  
Daphne M

Belated but happy Christmas to all of you too! For years I went for a solo run before sunrise on Christmas morning and always loved it, but this year I decided to wait and run after gift-opening. That didn't work out at all -- but I had fun cooking, playing board games and watching dumb TV with my family instead and there really is no better way to spend time.

I got some fitness gifts: a Cathe strength DVD (still haven't done it); another pair of rowing gloves; and a bunch of running tights and capris. I needed them because I can finally size down woohoo! The rowing has definitely kicked my weight loss past the sticking point and I've been stuck at that point a very long time -- probably at least a year. Up three pounds, down three pounds, rinse repeat. But I'm down five pounds in the nine weeks since I got the rower.

I also got a water bottle with a map of the Boston Marathon course on it. Norm is very proud of that gift and he's got a right to be: I love it.

Alison - It sounds like you all managed to make it a good Christmas even though it was split between two households. Hope you enjoyed your hike yesterday and I'm glad your knee is feeling good again.

Pratima - these are extraordinary times and it sounds to me like you're doing an amazing job with kids home while you're working. It's tough when they can't play with their friends. Screen time sounds like it will work out just fine.

PS - Thank you for putting up with all my raving and passion over rowing. I just can't get over how much I love it. Partly it's because it feels like it's so good for my body but I think a huge part of it is the whole Hydrow "live outdoor reality" experience. Having the big screen right in front of me with all kinds of scenery flashing by transports me to wherever they are rowing and the instructors are great companions on the journey. Add in the music and an incredibly smooth, quiet machine and I'm thrilled. -- watching boats go by, runners on the shore, cyclists on the shore, dolphins jumping, once there was even a stag swimming in the water.

Vannie - Congrats on the weight loss! You're off to a good start.

Workouts - I'm off work this week so my workouts are longer than usual, but it's the same basic routine. (One day, I focus on running with a side of rowing; the next day I do the reverse.)
  • Friday/Christmas - Rest day.
  • Saturday - 1 hour run + 25 minutes rowing (20 minute "Sweat" row + 5 minutes cooldown) The row was in Chattanooga and had a power focus, which I should have seen coming since the soundtrack was all ZZ Top. "She's got legs, she knows how to use them" So maybe I'm not using them as well I should, but I'm learning, I'm learning!
  • Sunday - Walk 2 miles outside for my daily injection of fresh air and mental health, then ran 2 miles on the treadmill to part of a Peloton Matty G tread workout, then 55 minutes of rowing (5 minute warmup row + 45 minute "Breathe" row + 5 minute cooldown row.) The Breathe rows are the slowest paced ones and good for a day that I do not want to work too hard.
  • Monday - 1 hour run + 20 minute Hydrow on the mat mobility workout.
  • Tuesday - Walk 1.5 miles outside for fresh air injection, 2 mile treadmill run to Matty G Peloton workout, 55 minutes rowing (5 minute warm-up row + 15 minute "Sweat" row + 30 minute "Breathe" row + 5 minute cooldown) + core work from Cathe's Lean Legs and Abs. All the rows were filmed in Miami Beach in the last week or so, but no dolphin sightings yet this week.
  • Today - 4 mile run outside + 20 minutes of rowing. The run felt great but all the longer workouts are catching up with me and I didn't have my rowing legs today. So I just did 3 different warm-up rows @ 5 minutes each + 1 cooldown row @ 5 minutes. One row in Austin, two in Miami and one in Boston. I love doing warm-ups/cooldowns because there are usually a lot of technique drills and stretches mixed in with the rowing, so I can feel virtuous about feeling lazy.

Onward and upward, bring on 2021!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 12:44 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: I do cardio most days. Once I’m done with Body Beast I plan to change it up a little, but I’m not exactly sure to what. And the pause button is my friend in Body Beast. He does some exercises so ridiculously fast, especially for the number of reps and amount of weight. I’m doing the Lean Beast schedule too. I kind of liked the 5 weeks of all bulk, but I also was glad to switch to this hybrid build/bulk section.

Daphne: Your rowing is so great! We did have a nice hike, just at Fountainhead. I really haven’t taken enough advantage of that park so close to home.

Vantreesta: I hope you’re doing okay!

I finally bought myself a new spin bike. I got a deal on a used Schwinn AC Power. Riding with the console was so great this morning! It’s not perfect, but it’s so much better than what I had. I decided against the Peloton because people are having so much trouble with the company right now, and used ones are selling for more than new ones these days. I sold my old bike within hours of posting it, with 7 more people showing interest while I was setting up the sale. Fitness equipment is a hot commodity these days! Now that I know how to use Facebook marketplace (not that it is hard to use), I’m looking at all kinds of equipment. I don’t really have space, but that hasn’t stopped me before!

Gotta get back to work. Not much going on this week at least.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 02:13 AM  
Vantreesta

Happy New Year!

First one to post tmrw gets to start the new thread!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 01:55 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Revised (did the link wrong the first time): New thread here: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=230122
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote