Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-11, 10:56 PM  
hotncmom

Count me in as another who was injured as a result of Tracy...for me it was my lower back and just after several days of the book bootcamp. I know it's TA's exercises or lack of instruction, and not me. I have done everything from Pilates to Ballet Body to BBL to Zuzana to Tonique to yoga (in other words a wide variety), and I exercise daily, and I have never before been injured in all of my years of exercising. Sore as hell, yes. Injured, no.

I have not written off TA completely...I still do the standing leg and arm section of Mat and I love her Connection pushups. From time to time I will try other exercises of hers here and there but I doubt I will do a rotation. I am always super careful of my back, and I do far less reps than she recommends. It may be the high reps or the complexity of her exercises making it difficult to hold good form along with lack of modifications offered, but there is definitely something inherent in her workouts that does make exercisers more prone to injury. She is a good choreographer but a poor trainer. Her exercises are unique twists but she would be well served to have a consultant that is trained in exercise science on her payroll that can advise her on safety and give her form pointers that she can pass along to her audience.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 06:11 AM  
herya

I totally agree hotncmom. I've never tried the complete method but I tried her Mat when it came out. I found the workout potentially very risky for your lower back - I could definitely feel how unsafe a lot of exercises were. I like mat disciplines/floorwork and I've done a lot of dance/pilates/yoga before so I know how to protect my back or modify but with no explanation and no modifications offered I could absolutely see beginners hurting themselves right left and centre! Also she seemed very unprofessional to me with no cueing at all, pouting, checking herself out etc. Not a fan!

My impression of TA is that she makes the stuff up as she goes along and she is severely lacking any structured training in either dance or fitness. The stuff she can make up is attractive and sells well though, plus there will always be some who want to be teeny tiny.
Old 07-16-11, 06:46 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
I had good results with MAT last summer and went down a pant size doing it just 3 times a week for a month.
That is good to know! I am trying Meta Hip right now, but my plan is to do it only about 3 times a week and other stuff the rest of the week (mostly kettlebells).

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
... BORED. BORED of the same workout for ten days!!! Bored of the no talking and being on all 4s for 20 mins straight. And the arm series' were a little frustrating and tough to follow. By the time I could follow it, it was almost time to move on!
I get bored easily so am only doing each workout twice before moving on the next one. One of the reasons I wanted Meta was because of the arms series but I've been pretty disappointed in what I've done so far (the first three Hip Centric workouts). ITA about the arms being hard to follow and so few reps that by the time I "get it", she does move on to another move. I have been doing the arms sections twice for that reason. Even then, they don't seem like enough. Nowhere near as thorough as on her Mat dvd or the bootcamp ones. Maybe I will still get "results" but I'm not convinced. I am going to add in the Mat arms sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
I found the workout potentially very risky for your lower back - I could definitely feel how unsafe a lot of exercises were.

My impression of TA is that she makes the stuff up as she goes along and she is severely lacking any structured training in either dance or fitness.
ITA...for these reasons, I basically try to do what Tracy does to the extent that I know I am safely working certain muscles; I am not too concerned with trying to exactly copy her. Overall, I pretty much skip her abs segments and modify the floor work in the Mat dvd. The floor work in Hip Centric so far seems to be okay for my back; not the same as Mat. The thing I like is that she does get a lot of different ranges of motion and angles.
Old 07-16-11, 07:15 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:

My impression of TA is that she makes the stuff up as she goes along and she is severely lacking any structured training in either dance or fitness. The stuff she can make up is attractive and sells well though, plus there will always be some who want to be teeny tiny.

Ditto!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 09:59 AM  
Cassy

Quote:

Also my feelings exactly.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 10:45 AM  
vplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy View Post
Also my feelings exactly.
yep, this is how i feel too...
Old 07-16-11, 01:34 PM  
videofit

You can get injured doing just about any type of workout if you don't listen to your body. I hurt my feet doing Leslie's walking workouts inside,wearing athletic shoes, on carpet, yet I can walk twice as far outside in flat sandals on cement and feel great. I've hurt my back with Lotte Berk and other workouts requiring a C curve tuck. I've hurt my neck with Pilates. I've hurt my back, knees and wrists doing yoga. I hurt my shoulder doing The Firm. Yet plenty of others get great results doing those workouts.

I now know my body well enough to know what works and what doesn't -- for me. People need to be self-aware and not jump on the latest bandwagon. When someone gets good results from a workout, I say, "Good for you!" Then I pull out Margaret's Good For You DVD. (Pssssst! Margaret's offering free shipping this weekend )
Old 07-16-11, 02:22 PM  
PhyllisG

Yea I twisted my waist/oblique walking with Leslie. It was sore for days. No problems so far with TA and I have to admit I am getting results. People have been asking what I have been doing. I guess the rule of thumb is find what works for you and go with it.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 02:27 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Yea I twisted my waist/oblique walking with Leslie. It was sore for days. No problems so far with TA and I have to admit I am getting results. People have been asking what I have been doing. I guess the rule of thumb is find what works for you and go with it.
Good for you phyllis! Are you doing the rotation as listed or just incorporating her workouts in your week.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 02:34 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

It's been interesting reading about the injuries stemming from the Meta series.

I tried to attempt Omni again a couple of weeks ago. But after the very first workout, my pinkie finger on my right hand went completely numb and stayed that way for two weeks. I do have a bulging disc at C5-6 and I'm sure being on all fours for such a long time was the culprit.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tracy anderson, tracy anderson injuries, tracy anderson meta, tracy anderson method, tracy anderson results