Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-17, 03:20 PM  
Scorpio6

Ballet Beautiful vs Callanetics for Esthetic Results

I am considering signing up for streaming to one of these now that my laptop can handle WiFi. Can somebody please enlighten me as to which gives better esthetic results? Thanks.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 07:32 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

I did a 12-week BB rotation at the end of 2015/beginning of 2016 because I had read about VFers who had amazing results with it. I did 5 workouts/week, each 30-60 minutes (average of 4:15 hours a week). I loved the workouts but did NOT get any positive aesthetic results. I lost all muscle definition and gained size in my hips/butt. I still don't understand why

For the last 4 months I have been focusing on Callanetics. In June I did Callanetics Countdown for 30 days straight and since then I do 3 Callanetics workouts weekly for a total of 3 hours. I pick a set of classes on the streaming site and repeat them every week for a month. I enjoy the workouts more each day... and they feel more and more difficult as my form improves. I love the functional results in terms of reduced stiffness, and improved mobility/flexibility. In terms of aesthetic results, I am amazed at how this method seems to pull everything in and smooth everything out. For me it is most noticeable in my waist/abs as well as my butt. Since plank moves seem to be the magical ticket for my upper body, I want to include some of the more recent Callanetics workouts in my rotation as they have more of these.

HTH!
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 07:54 AM  
Tugger31

I had an older dvd Super Callanetics that I did once and I was so bored with it that I sold it. That has been my only experience with Callanetics. Nonetheless I still get tempted from time to time to try the newer workouts out there.

My saddle bag area and the general appearance of my thighs were starting to really improve when I did a Ballet Beautiful rotation earlier in the year. I bought 3 of her dvds and after trying out all of them, including the Swan Arms section, I decided to just do the lower body segments from them all. I basically did 20-30 minutes a minimum of 3 times a week as add-ons. I varied what segments I did based on my mood and what I did the time before. I was just thinking about dusting these off and starting again when I'm done with my current rotation.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 07:23 PM  
Scorpio6

Fuzzie and Tugger, thanks so much for your feedback!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 05:19 AM  
Tugger31

You're welcome, though are responses are polar opposites.

I did want to add that the Ballet Beautiful segments are all on youtube if you weren't aware of that already.

Fuzzie, how do the streaming segments of Callanetics compare to the dvds by Lacy Kondi labeled as "advanced"? I hesitated buying the 30 day dvd b/c I thought the first segments may be too easy. I like dvds that I will not outgrow too soon. Thanks.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-17, 07:35 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Scorpio6 - Let us know what you try!

Tugger31 - Reading about your experience I think that using BB as an add-on might be different than going all-out. I might add some of the bridge segments back in at some point... The first segment on Countdown is indeed fairly easy and I doubt I will use it again but it was useful to ease me into the method. Lacey's DVDs (the 3rd level on Countdown and Extreme) are close to SuperCallanetics and they are probably the most intense in terms of number of pulses (100 for each exercises) and number of exercises. At first I thought the workouts on the streaming site were easier but I don't feel that way anymore - as I've been practicing, I get into the muscle right away and I feel it very deeply. I use mostly the workouts rated "intermediate" that range between 45 and 70 minutes.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics, callanetics results, swan arms