Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-22, 10:00 AM  
fanofladyvols

Gams that's awesome!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 11:59 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Gams, nice reflex!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 01:33 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Before my surgery they asked me if I had fallen lately. I told them about tripping over the dog ramp when I was on my way to the couch with a piece of cake on a plate. I took a nosedive onto the couch and the cake flew up in the air, but I was still holding the plate and managed to stretch out my arm and catch the cake on the plate as the cake was returning to earth. I think I impressed them all with my athleticism. ��
Nice one, Gams! (Nobody wants to drop cake!)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-22, 09:50 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Thanks for this! I discovered that my "sighted" balance is good, but, boy, I have an issue with my eyes closed. Lots of great information!
I had my husband do the test. Then I made him close his eyes. He told me he didn’t think it would make much of a difference. Boy was he surprised! Any exercises or techniques to help improve with your eyes closed?
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 12:49 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
I had my husband do the test. Then I made him close his eyes. He told me he didn’t think it would make much of a difference. Boy was he surprised! Any exercises or techniques to help improve with your eyes closed?
Probably just do it more often, but..... I've always wondered.... does it really matter that you have good balance with your eyes closed? I guess for when you're in the dark? If my eyesight goes, I think I'm going to need to start with easier things than balance.
Old 07-18-22, 01:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

The balance with eyes closed is truly a challenge..I think the absence of sight helps you focus on keeping your core strong.

Chelepa so much goes into balance and definitely like bee says keep practicing. I'm not sure if these helps will aid your husband but here are some suggestions:

1)loosen up by doing toe touches with heels raised 5x and then toes raised 5x...work up to knees straight but keeping bent still loosens things
2) do the strongest plank you can for about 30 seconds then try your balance exercises 'remembering' that feeling of shoulders in sockets, closing that area between ribs and hips and glutes and thighs strong, (can also practice this plank against wall if getting on floor is an issue)
3) think about leaving a footprint in plaster with entire foot and toes but not necessarily gripping/curling toes on the floor
4) work on foot strength doing towel grabs with toes..easily done while watching TV
5) CS Miranda's practice of drawing the alphabet with foot raised balancing is also such good practice and the alphabet is a good measurement (I only do this with eyes open, lol!)

Hope these help!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-22, 04:23 PM  
ChelePA

Thanks FOLV! Great suggestions!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, article, article link, balance, fitness, healthy lifestyle, longevity