Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-22, 02:39 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I'm 63 and while there are some days I look in the mirror and wish there wasn't so much sagging going on (for some reason I don't have many wrinkles), I mostly mourn the loss of stamina.

Not having the energy to do things I want makes me sad. I have to pace myself more and make a plan from day to day on what I want to accomplish. If it's summer and I know I'll be doing yard work there won't be any house cleaning or formal workout. I also have issues with my feet so planning vacations has changed. I can't do hours of walking any more.
Annette,
Sometimes loss of energy can be due to nutritional deficits -even if you have a good diet. Many people are deficient in magnesium, zinc, boron, iron, D3, K2 and other vitamins/minerals. Most vitamin and mineral combination supplements don't have the required daily amount of certain vitamins & minerals. Inexpensive blood tests are available to check your levels. My daughter had the test done and deficiencies were found. Nutritional Deficiencies Article
Old 01-29-22, 05:27 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Hi Karla - thanks for the link. I'll definitely take a look!
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 06:29 PM  
manleym

Great responses from everyone! I loved reading them all and agreeing. So many good points being brought up.

Sometimes I feel like I'm entering the "used to be..." phase of life. My legs "used to be..." My teeth "used to be..." My_____"used to be." Even with that I have pretty good genes and look younger than my age. Part of the difficulty is my mind tells me I'm still 25, but my body doesn't.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 06:58 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It has been tough since last July when my rheumatologist took me off an anti-inflammatory (for good reasons) and I have been soooo stiff ever since. I have had multiple physical issues in the past year and I attacked them individually and made progress. However, being off that anti-inflammatory overrode any gains I may have felt like I made, so I went back to the rheumatologist again this week and she has laid out a plan of attack to address the immediate issues and figure out longer-term problems. I have felt like I am 10 - 12 years older than I am.

So, to get back on topic, sometimes you have to fight circumstances and fix problems so that you CAN age gracefully. I'm looking forward to the day when I can move around more easily and get back to the practices that will help me age more gracefully like exercise, going out and have fun, taking care of stuff in life and around the house, etc.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 11:00 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Annette,
Sometimes loss of energy can be due to nutritional deficits -even if you have a good diet. Many people are deficient in magnesium, zinc, boron, iron, D3, K2 and other vitamins/minerals. Most vitamin and mineral combination supplements don't have the required daily amount of certain vitamins & minerals. Inexpensive blood tests are available to check your levels. My daughter had the test done and deficiencies were found. Nutritional Deficiencies Article
This is very true. I'm 33 and finally had a comprehensive nutritional panel done amongst other things. I'm critically deficient in b2 and b3, low in b6, and critically deficient in omega 3. For starters. I've been working on that and combined with fully weaning my youngest, I have more good energy days than bad now. Never would have guessed that my b vitamins were out of whack like that... B12 usually gets all the hype.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-22, 11:05 PM  
Leonana

I don’t have much to add to all the great responses in the thread. I also workout more for function than for looks. I want to be active for as long as possible.

When I think of a celebrity gracefully aging, I always think of Jamie Lee Curtis. She hasn’t had work done, but she also looks like she takes care of her health. She’s not as thin as she used to be, but she looks healthy and active. Despite looking her age and not having work done, she still gets parts in movies. I think that’s encouraging to see nowadays.
Old 01-30-22, 01:30 AM  
Negin

I just want to say how much I appreciate and enjoy reading everyone's posts. I love these boards so much.

I'll soon be 54. I guess that I was fairly attractive back when I was younger. Most people would tell me so, but I seldom believed them. I had confidence issues. I was definitely slim and had the ideal figure, although I always thought that I was overweight. I wish I was as overweight now as I thought I was back then. Once I became a mother, my priorities changed completely, and I had far more confidence, happiness, and joy.

I'd really love to lose weight and keep it off. That bothers me to no end.
I'd like to be as pain-free and mobile as possible.
I'd also like to focus more on gratitude and contentment.

A few years ago, my husband had to take one of our employees to the ER. Another employee went along with them and he complimented the nurse on her gorgeous and striking grey hair. You know that silver fox look? She thanked him and said, "Yes, I've reached a point in my life where I know I can't fight God". This is where I am also, or at least I try to be. It's about acceptance.

A friend of mine posted this a few years ago in response to some magazine cover with Jennifer Lopez and some anti-aging claim or whatever. My friend posted, very wisely, I thought that the real focus in middle age needs to be on a living a life well-lived now and preparing financially for old age.

She said, "This magazine cover kills me. Jennifer Lopez might not look her age, but aging she is. Just like the rest of us. Fillers and Botox or letting yourself go naturally grey mean NOTHING.
There's no such thing as anti-aging. It's all a lie. We might be fooling the camera, but we aren't fooling Father Time. He will have his way with us all in the end. Even Jennifer Lopez.
If you are a woman, avoiding poverty in your old age should be your #1 concern. Everything else is bread and circuses."

I guess part of her strong response was also a reaction to the amount of money that women fork out for products and procedures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
at some point we all have to face reality and get on with what life we have left.
Annette, so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I think it’s hard to age when you’ve been particularly good looking because you feel like you go from getting a lot of attention to being almost invisible.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I think trying to feel grateful is also part of it.
Great reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think mobility and flexibility and balance become more important as we age.
I am better at not sweating the small stuff. I have an 18 year old DD, and I wouldn't trade places with her - there is a lot more angst at that age than I care to have now.
Yes - mobility, flexibility, and balance!
Like you, I'm also better at not sweating the small stuff.
My daughter will soon be 24, and I do believe that this generation has it tougher in so many ways. Social media doesn't help. Thankfully, she pretty much ignores all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
For me it's staying active, eating well, staying involved in life, and finding ways to keep myself mentally happy and stable. Mostly, it's having a reason to get up everyday.
If she is happy that is all that matters.
Love this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I am still recovering.
Jackie, hope that your recovery process is as easy and pain-free as can be. I always enjoy your posts so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Chronic pain is my biggest fear. I think I can deal with everything else.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I hate it when celebrities who have obviously had work done are asked about their youthful appearance and they attribute their appearance to a good moisturizer, a good night’s sleep or drinking plenty of water.
One of my pet peeves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I have felt like I am 10 - 12 years older than I am.
Laura, glad that you're feeling much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
When I think of a celebrity gracefully aging, I always think of Jamie Lee Curtis. She hasn’t had work done, but she also looks like she takes care of her health. She’s not as thin as she used to be, but she looks healthy and active. Despite looking her age and not having work done, she still gets parts in movies. I think that’s encouraging to see nowadays.
Agree completely. She's aged very nicely.
Old 01-30-22, 05:39 AM  
Demeris

The article, itself, seemed like an exercise in Schadenfreude. Getting older challenges us to let go of superficial values and superficial goals. Who knows what health struggles or emotional struggles these women (and a few men) have had or are still dealing with? They deserve our compassion, and this article is set up to mock them with pictures taken when they are not at their best, juxtaposing these with pictures when they had youth on their side.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 06:31 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
The article, itself, seemed like an exercise in Schadenfreude. Getting older challenges us to let go of superficial values and superficial goals. Who knows what health struggles or emotional struggles these women (and a few men) have had or are still dealing with? They deserve our compassion, and this article is set up to mock them with pictures taken when they are not at their best, juxtaposing these with pictures when they had youth on their side.
I felt the same way about the article and photos. You expressed my feelings very well.

Aging gracefully...I'm struggling with this big time right now partly for the reasons you mentioned above (health and emotional struggles). Knowing I'm judged (outside of my family and friends) by my looks makes this so much harder.

Thank you for posting.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-22, 08:51 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Well said!

Aging is going to happen to all of us - no matter what we do. Sure, I think staying as active as possible (physically and mentally) and having healthy habits will likely make for a better aging experience - but in the end - we can't stop time.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aesthetics, aging, beauty, body image, celebrities