Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-21, 04:04 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

And, reputedly, the older woman in Beginning Callanetics with white hair and a black leotard was Callan's mother.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 05:06 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I've kept my Callanetics DVDs, original and Sandra Hanna (not Lacey) although I do other barre workouts more frequently. I remember doing Callanetics Legs a lot: I wore out 3 VHS tapes of it.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 05:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
The problem I have is that I don't have a barre, and from the looks of things you have to hang on for dear life while doing very small movements. Is this correct? I would like to try it, but am not sure I have the right set up.
a heavy piece of furniture is enough. i still use that even though i have a fluidity barre. (guilty smiley)

the actual Fluidity workouts have moves where you're "hanging on for dear life" because your butt is away from your center of gravity.

not so in callanetics - mostly to just prop your leg up. for the pretzel moves, you can use a table or back of the couch or chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
And, reputedly, the older woman in Beginning Callanetics with white hair and a black leotard was Callan's mother.
she's also in the 10/10 workout, referred to as "Margaret" when Callan was showing modifications for someone with back issues doing the standing, side-leaning move.

Some people find Callan too boring and too much instruction. but i use the time to zen-out and relax. i have 10/10 memorized, so i start doing the next segment while she's demonstrating or showing the butt pictures, and i can shave off 10 minutes of the workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-21, 07:48 PM  
Venus

bfit, I was looking for the video clip, too!

The background on Callanetics/Lotte Berk is interesting; I don't think I'd read about it before.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-21, 05:27 AM  
Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Twigs - are you doing the streaming workouts? If I recall, did you say it helped your back/hip?

Donna
Hi Donna

Yes, I'm doing Sandra's streaming workouts (HealthBarre). I started monthly but switched to an annual membership, which worked out a lot less expensive.

Doing Sandra's Callanetics along with her somatic practices - which frees up the centre of the body - as well as her pelvic work, has helped to resolve a hip/pelvis problem I've been dealing with since my early 30s. I've also noticed I'm a lot more flexible in my torso. I added in some Yamuna ball rolling as well to target a stubborn area in my left hip and other fascia related workouts. This combination works for me but I know we're all different and what may be good for my body may not be good for someone else.

I'm sure Sandra would be happy to help if you have any questions. She's very enthusiastic about this method. Good luck!

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-21, 04:09 PM  
Venus

Here's an article from Collage Video about Callanetics:

What is Callanetics? Is it for me?
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 01:02 PM  
DCW

Smile

My library has wake up and wind down. I am going to give it a try.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 06:25 PM  
donnamp

Twigs - sorry for the delayed response! Is Health Barre different from Callanetics? or is it under the Callanetics subscription?

Thanks!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 07:08 AM  
Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Twigs - sorry for the delayed response! Is Health Barre different from Callanetics? or is it under the Callanetics subscription?

Thanks!

Donna
Hi Donna

HealthBarre is Sandra's own streaming site https://app.namastream.com/healthbarre/shop

She does have quite a few classes on Callanetics TV. I can't remember, as it's been a while since I subscribed, but I think she may incorporate some somatic movements into one or two of her classes. She used to have a 20 minute Daily Stretch on there, which is purely somatics.

HTH

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 08:27 AM  
donnamp

Thanks, Twigs!!! It looks interesting and worth a try. It sounds like it is really beneficial for you. I'm considering a 7 day free trial to Callanetics TV and trying out some of Sandra's workouts there and then I may give her Health Barre a try for a month....

I have a lot of tension in my body and need to find a way to release it.....

How do you incorporate Health Barre into your routine?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, health barre, lotte berk