Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-21, 09:26 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
For me, never clicked with The FIRM or Classical Stretch/Essentrics.
Same here. And I really tried with Classical Stretch/Essentrics.

Most other instructors kind of wax and wane for me. I'll get really into someone, move on, and then when I come back to them I can't get into it. So I take a break, come back later on and get enthusiastic again. This happens to me a lot with Lauren Brooks. Sometimes her workouts are just the ticket for keeping me motivated, and other times it's an automatic Joni-O.
Old 02-18-21, 10:23 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

That's fine, I haven't/don't like many vastly popular instructors discussed here. I actually like Jessica's youTube stuff but there are many I avoid: circuits and those workouts with lots of planks. #1 because they're boring and #2 because my bad shoulders won't tolerate planks.

I had to have CS/Essentrics grow on me and I still have limited tolerance for them, especially Miranda's chatter and mispronunciation of body parts. But they are useful for me and I use, if not daily, the workouts I have.

I was never a FIRM onlyexerciser, but I did use the heck out of the Classics and whatever the next series was after that. I believe that the overuse of the heavy tall box step ups set me up for a very painful situation I am prone to these days, hip bursitis. I started feeling some of it when I was doing the workouts and cut way back then stopped; a year ago I was motivated to try one again and BAM 6 months of serious pain. NEVER doing a weighted step up again.

We have to learn both what works for us and what we like. I did a workout I liked today on YouTube by Pahla B after many recommendations. I liked the workout but if I do it again you can bet the mute button will be on. I cannot tolerate the incessant, if pleasant chatter. Nope, deal breaker for me.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 12:51 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I've tried to vary things up with FIRM workouts over the years but just don't gravitate to them much... I do some of the upper body splits and lower body floorwork routines a couple of times a year, and I know the longer AWT-oriented ones (I have many of them) would be super efficient, but by and large I still prefer split routines and I don't like fast paced lunges/step ups + compound moves + lots of equipment changes Still, as the vidiot I am, I keep the DVDs on my shelf, thinking the right mood will strike one day!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 06:29 AM  
amoodygirl

This topic is so timely for me. One that I can no longer do is any Les Mills workouts and I'm a certified LM instructor! I just can't take the screaming and the blaring music. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky!

The last year I have really gotten into yoga. I started with Bad Yogi and loved it. I then switched to Yoga with Adriene and I just can't. She's just too chatty for me. I switched to Fightmaster Yoga and back with Bad Yogi and just love both. The right amount of chat for me.

The good thing is there are so many workouts to choose from so we should never feel bad about passing on one instructor or the other.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 11:20 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I threw in some Jessica when I was doing my Pahla B walk/run rotation last year and preferred the Walk n' Talks to the straight up workouts. Wish she had done more of those.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 11:40 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
What instructor or method have you tried more than once wishing they or it would click with you?
Over the years I've tried so many "methods" and instructors. Some of these methods and instructors can be valuable, but it's no good if I don't want to do them, LOL!

I gave up on Pilates and Classical Stretch decades ago. Life is too short to be bored and frustrated! After reading about how fantastic Essentrics is, I recently tried a freebie on Youtube. I lasted about 5 minutes before I wanted to pull my hair out.

I'm hit-or-miss with Yoga. Many of the moves are prohibited due to a back injury, so it was kind of nice to not have to do it. I still like Jane Adams though.

I am apparently guru-proof and it's no use listing all the many instructors I have not clicked with. I was never a Firmie, although I like some of their workouts. I remember rolling on the floor laughing (literally) when I watched my first FIRM video. The artificial attitude, the stilted dialog, the bouncing microphone (and braless boobage.) Yet, the workouts are hard!

I like Jessica. Mostly her YouTube workouts although I do have some of her DVDs that I enjoy. She does too many "wood chop" moves to do one of her rotations. They bother my back.

I still like to re-try some methods and instructors to see if I still find them annoying. Usually, I do.

ETA: I've tried Pahla B a few times. No, just no.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 01:52 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

On paper Jessica Smith is perfect for me. I own almost every DVD she's released.

Her workouts have functional fitness, good messaging about health vs body image, scalable intensity, well planned balanced rotations, she does every rep...

But I don't like to do them. I think there's too many reps and not enough fun factor.

I'd rather do Cathe (ICE/LITE timesaver with half the weight) or Essentrics or Just Dance.

If I buy Lift & Shift as I'm destined to do, I will be very mad at myself.
SFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 02:20 PM  
s2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFR View Post
On paper Jessica Smith is perfect for me. I own almost every DVD she's released.

Her workouts have functional fitness, good messaging about health vs body image, scalable intensity, well planned balanced rotations, she does every rep...

But I don't like to do them. I think there's too many reps and not enough fun factor.

I'd rather do Cathe (ICE/LITE timesaver with half the weight) or Essentrics or Just Dance.

If I buy Lift & Shift as I'm destined to do, I will be very mad at myself.
That's hilarious! And I can relate 100% !! Not for jessica but just in General! Lol

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 05:08 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I was never a FIRM only exerciser, but I did use the heck out of the Classics and whatever the next series was after that. I believe that the overuse of the heavy tall box step ups set me up for a very painful situation I am prone to these days, hip bursitis. I started feeling some of it when I was doing the workouts and cut way back then stopped; a year ago I was motivated to try one again and BAM 6 months of serious pain. NEVER doing a weighted step up again.

We have to learn both what works for us and what we like. I did a workout I liked today on YouTube by Pahla B after many recommendations. I liked the workout but if I do it again you can bet the mute button will be on. I cannot tolerate the incessant, if pleasant chatter. Nope, deal breaker for me.
I sometimes wonder what my deal is with the Firm, they were my mainstay for so long, yet I hardly reach for them at all nowadays. Yet I can't seem to part with them. It might be the tall box thing, though my box is much shorter. I remember doing Firm Strength a few years back and it really bothered my hip. I think if I visit them a couple times a year I would be fine with keeping them, otherwise they might be going once and for all. I actually prefer Cathe nowadays, which is something that I thought I would never say.

The Firms are good workouts! But maybe they just aren't the best fit for my aging frame, who knows.

Jessica, I like her but don't click with all her workouts. Some I find to be repetitive. I really like her Cardio Ball Blast, need to do that one again soon.

Pahla B, seems like a really nice lady but I can't deal with the constant talking. Probably why I ditched Angie Miller moons ago.

Caroline Girvan, really like her but not all of her workouts are for me either. I just do the ones I like.

Heather Robertson, her workouts are more my level, the setting might be dark but I am liking her stuff right now.

If someone doesn't work for you, then just do workouts that do work for you. You can try to analyze why, but you may never come up with the answer aside from that you just don't click with the workouts for some reason.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-21, 05:44 PM  
TinaT

I really do feel like my Rebounder gives me the best workout, along with being gentle to my body. But I still use the FIRM...with crazy modifying. One reason I keep them is the music...beats per minute...I can do cardio on my Rebounder during high impact segments of the FIRM and then go back to the weight segments. It's a nice blend for me.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, joni-o