Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-20, 09:16 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I took what he was saying as people switch up strategies before there is the chance for their approach to work. I don't think he's talking about individual workouts or having some variety. He probably doesn't know that the VF universe even exists. Consistency is really the key and often people give up before they get to where they want to be. You see it at the beginning of every year when people join gyms and then stop going pretty soon after.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 10:09 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I jumped around from workout to workout over the years and probably slowed my progress because of it. However, I consistently did something, and that, to me, was the most important thing.

Would I have progressed more quickly on weight lifting if I had done the same moves and charted my progress? Probably, bur I enjoyed myself along the way and I did get stronger over time.

With cardio, I just tried to finish the workouts and picked whatever moved me that day.
Old 06-16-20, 01:27 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I think it can be a mix of impatience, FOMO, boredom, and/or wanting variety.

I do think some people can be too impatient to see the results they want, so they hop from workout to workout, diet plan to diet plan.

Not saying I was immune to that myself. For the past several years I've stuck with a few yoga routines I do pretty much exclusively, and a home-grown strength routine. I never seem to get tired of them, and I'm fine with maintaining the results I have. I'm very happy with my dietary regimen.

At my age (64), it's about consistency and maintenance.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 02:14 PM  
Erica H.

I always felt fortunate that I have a high tolerance for boredom.

I've run the same route for over 20 years. Weather permitting, I run every day and have not changed my route. I've actually shortened it so I do 9 laps of the same area every day! That's 63 laps each week! I figure they are different due to nature changing - different wildlife, different seasons, changes in sunrise time, etc. I've watched the kids in our neighborhood grow up while waiting for the school bus. I've seen puppies mature until they die of old age.

For weights, I do get a little bored, but not much. I actually get overwhelmed with too many choices.

Oh, and I have three heavy bag workouts that I've done over and over again for years. I use each once a week.

And I eat the exact same foods just about every day unless we're traveling or it's the holidays or whatever.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
habits, large collection, motivation, too many choices, too many options, variety