Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-20, 07:34 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
The program has workouts that are about 15-20 minutes long. It's HIIT. The workouts are pretty good, but I found Jade kind of irritating so I don't do the workouts. (I do think he seems like a love in real life, very teddy bear type guy, but somehow in the workouts I found him annoying.) Then he recommends lots of walking. He says walking is crucial--more important than the HIIT workouts.
thanks for the quick review of the workouts that come with the kit. how much are they charging for the kit?

i saw a youtube video of Jade Teta coaching the cast in the workout (link below).

i also found some of his e-books at our library which i was able to check out on my phone.

so the skinny is - walking is more important than HIIT. got it.

youtube clip of Jade Teta in a workout video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkyHHFeTlvM

metabolic renewal workout DVDs:
https://www.metabolicrenewal.com/whats-included.html

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-20, 08:20 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Simple things that have helped me recently are two books: "Delay, Don't Deny" (on IF -- she has a follow on with more science coming out in June called "Fast Feast Repeat") and "Never Binge Again" -- that is a free kindle book. He uses "binge" not to mean actual bingeing, necessarily, but any eating out of line with some rules you come up with yourself. Gin Stephens, the author of "Delay, Don't Deny" has two different podcasts that are informative/inspirational: The Intermittent Fasting podcast, and Intermittent Fasting Stories. I actually started with the podcasts and then read the books.
Old 05-27-20, 12:39 AM  
BunnyHop

Post-hysterectomy here.

Is weight loss possible for me?

yes, with meals, not snacks, and portion control. Even healthy snacks do me no favors. I seem to get along best if I weigh my portions, mostly to make sure I get ENOUGH of each element of the meal.

Can I sustain it in this pandemic? Apparently not, LOL!

I'm getting back on track, but I do think some of my trouble has been re-learning how to cook for one in the midst of all this social distancing and supply chain difficulties.

Things are better now, so I guess there's a learning curve.

As others have mentioned, gentle exercise is key. I'm facing the fact that I need to cancel the gym membership and just get on with whatever will work for me on my own again. Seems to involve a lot of walking, which I don't look forward to in all this summer heat and humidity. This morning was truly pleasant, but the afternoon rain brought humidity and heat again so I kind of dread the morning. Hope the deer flies stay away.

What is it they say? Life is a nice long series of learning experiences.

Above all, be patient with yourself. We're all of us only human. Do your best to take care of yourself, whatever that means for you nowadays. Some self awareness is key, and for me, that meant learning what my body will tolerate and what it won't.

I miss coffee and caffeine, but have found that ginger and honey make a pretty good tea so I can have something warm to settle my tummy.

Oh, and yes, I do seem to need far less food than I used to, so I do have to make a deliberate effort to get enough fiber. TMI, but so very true.
Old 05-27-20, 07:35 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I remember some of you had questions referencing my posts. I don't have time to go back and find each one, but I'll try to answer based on what I remember.

I don't know how people have done long-term on Metabolic Renewal. I'm not really that dialed in on the FB group, mostly because I gave up FB for about a year. I just rejoined. I do think a lot of people have had success with it, though it's involved a lot of trial and error for some.

As I mentioned, I don't follow it really anymore. The program has you do a multi-page assessment at the beginning and at various intervals during the different phases. I'm sure the detailed assessment is very useful, but for me, it was kind of tedious. I just don't have the bandwidth in my life to pay that much attention to myself!

If anyone is interested in buying the program, I wouldn't discourage you from doing so, but I can tell you for me, the key take-aways were as follows:

Focus on reducing stress.
Incorporate a lot of leisurely walking/movement into your day (NOT speed walking)
Do short HIIT workouts a few times a week, but if you find you aren't getting results (and results could mean many things, including sleeping well, not just losing weight) ditch the HIIT and just walk more.

I do think it's a good, well-rounded program.

Regarding IF, it's like anything else--it's great for some people, probably not for everyone. I do think there are some great aspects of it, though. First of all, it's free! You will actually save money, probably. You don't have to buy any special ingredients, and you save time and the mental energy of 'what am I going to eat next?' I, personally, get sick of thinking of food. I find it annoying to plan meals. I try to cook one meal a day, usually a lot of food, then my family can eat the leftovers. I'll scramble an egg for my kids in the morning if they want it, or they'll help themselves to whatever. I try to make sure they're eating something nutritious, but I don't necessarily have to fix it for them at this point, so that's nice.

The other nice thing about IF is that you experience hunger. I think a lot of us have been conditioned to fear hunger, as if it's some terrible thing that is going to lead us to starvation and ruin! In reality, most of us could go a long time without eating and be absolutely fine. Before I started IF, if I felt hungry, I felt like I needed to eat something right away, even if dinner was almost ready. Now I can wait. Hunger is not an emergency. I find it usually passes without incident. Especially now that I'm middle aged, I seldom feel ravenous like I did when I was younger. As others have said, most of us probably need less food at this season of life! It's a bummer.

I have been fasting off and on over the years. For a while I was having difficulty staying consistent. It can be uncomfortable, of course, and I think I would take too many liberties and then it would be a slippery slope. I started getting discouraged because I felt like I was consistently letting myself down. Now I try to focus on how I feel. I really feel great (usually) when I fast. And I feel awesome the next day. I had to fast for almost three days for my first colonoscopy (based on the timing of the appointment, the fact that they were running late, etc.) Honestly, I felt AMAZING the following day. Absolutely amazing. I was shocked. A friend of mine is Muslim, and she loves Ramadan. She feels so good fasting everyday for a month (they can only eat after sundown.)

So generally, at this point in life, I'm focusing on how I feel. How workouts make me feel, how food makes me feel. I'm learning to tune into my body more instead of thinking about how I look. That's very freeing.

Sorry for the long post. I got on a roll.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 08:54 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thanks for the quick review of the workouts that come with the kit. how much are they charging for the kit?

i saw a youtube video of Jade Teta coaching the cast in the workout (link below).

i also found some of his e-books at our library which i was able to check out on my phone.

so the skinny is - walking is more important than HIIT. got it.

youtube clip of Jade Teta in a workout video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkyHHFeTlvM

metabolic renewal workout DVDs:
https://www.metabolicrenewal.com/whats-included.html
Thanks for the links. I was disappointed that the women in the YouTube video seem so young. You would think he would use older women if that is his target audience.

I read the book he wrote with his brother Keoni in 2010. It’s called the New Me Diet. I don’t remember too much about it but I remember you took a quiz to find out what kind of fat burner you are and that determined which one of the programs you followed.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 09:03 AM  
donnamp

Nuggie's Auntie - that was a great post, I agree with everything you said. I think the main thing is to find out what works for you and it isn't one size fits all. The things that I think are probably true for most of us are stress reduction and getting more movement in our days - not necessarily "exercise" but movement.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 09:49 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Thank you, Donna.

I will add one more thing--we all probably grew up/came of age in the wake of Karen Carpenter's death from anorexia. Eating disorder awareness became a huge thing, for girls especially. I can't tell you how often I heard about the importance of eating breakfast, not skipping meals. My mother would act like I was immediately going into a state of malnutrition if I didn't eat three meals a day. I have NEVER liked eating in the morning. Ever. I'm just not hungry in the morning, but for years, I forced myself to eat breakfast because everyone said it was the most important meal of the day and that our metabolisms would shrivel to nothing if we didn't eat breakfast.

Well, that is total rubbish. Turns out the 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' was a marketing campaign launched by cereal manufacturers. Yes, there is some research floating around about the benefits of eating breakfast, but much of it is anecdotal (like 'a key characteristic of successful dieters is that 70% of them eat breakfast.' Correlation doesn't equal causation!) I'm not saying it's bad to eat breakfast, if you are hungry in the morning and you're not intentionally fasting, go ahead and eat. But for me, breakfast just isn't a thing I need. It's so freeing to not feel compelled to eat breakfast. Or at all, if I'm not hungry.

Of course, some people do struggle with eating disorders. Fasting is not for everyone. You do have to be careful with it if you have a history of eating disorders.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 11:44 AM  
prettyinpink

prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 02:43 PM  
donnamp

Hi

I agree re: breakfast, lunch or dinner - it makes so much sense not to eat unless you are hungry. I also agree what someone said up thread about being afraid of hunger - I remember years back it was all the rage to eat mini meals so you were never hungry. While, I can see a certain wisdom of not letting yourself become ravenous, and downing a bag of potato chips in desperation, I think we can live with some moderate hunger/discomfort for a short period of time while we prepare/acquire a healthy snack or meal. So much of eating is about habit and not really about hunger.

One thing I noticed from working from home is that I don't need to constantly be eating/snacking. When I was working in the office, I'd almost always have a snack on my desk - health stuffy - a banana, some nuts maybe some cut up veggies and hummus, nothing terrible - but I was almost always eating - I think it was due to habit and also a fear of getting hungry and not being able to get food when I needed it (OMG what if I had to go to that meeting and I got, gasp, hungry!?). Since I have been working from home and can go into my kitchen whenever I want, i do find that I'm eating more out of hunger and less out of habit (caveat - this happened after the first few weeks of working from home - the first few weeks I was just eating all the time and not my healthy stuff either since I had access to everything at home!).

I'm going to keep this in mind for when I eventually go back to the office. It will actually save me lots of time as I won't have to be prepping snacks to bring to work along w/ my lunch. And, you know, if i get hungry, I can either deal with it or run out to pick something up - and if I have to go get it - rather than dig through my bag, I'm more likely to consider whether I'm really hungry or just eating out of boredom or habit.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-20, 09:26 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Hi,

I wanted to throw out Pahla B - again, my earlier post focused on her workout style -but she does have a free download about weight loss for "women of a certain age" and she does have a lot of good advice there as well, and, yes, as others have said it does seem to be more about eating the right number of calories than exercise and like exercise, it seems that consistency with calories is also important.

Basically - do nothing to stress your body out....your body doesn't like "surprises" and can react to those surprises with stress and weight gain.

Donna
Yep, I second or third what Donna said. Consistency with calories, yes, but with estrogen being lower post-menopause, there's not as much to go around to help balance out stress. Excess stress can store fat. For me, I have switched back to alternating Margaret Richard and Joyce Vedral, along with long walks. These workouts don't make me feel stressed and dread exercising. My pants are starting to feel looser and I may weigh later this week. I haven't weighed in forever.

Good luck!

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50