Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-18, 11:54 AM  
kat999

Need a more intense workout regime, but not sure what to add

So all summer, I've had a flexible schedule which allowed me to embark on a pretty intense workout regime. My current little rotation is three days of cardio interspersed with two days of strength/cross-training/aerobic weight training (usually in the form of Jari Love or FIRM workouts or similar) and then a day or two of lighter cardio/walking and either a rest day or a yoga or Pilates workout.

I'm doing a good job of slowly increasing the intensity of my strength workouts simply by upping my weight limits and time (e.g. instead of doing a 30-minute premix, I try to do a full 60-minute, and my highest weight has gone up from wimpy little 2-lbs. to 6-lbs. over about 10 weeks). Anyway, I'm happy with that progress, and plan to continue as I have been.

The problem is my cardio workouts. I have an Apple Watch, and I've noticed that my heart rate and active calorie burn has kind of plateaued, even as I've increased my mileage in both in- and outdoor cardio sessions from 3, 4, and 5 miles to up to 6 miles at a time. When I work out outdoors, I do power walking mixed with jogging and running intervals (usually topping out at around 5.5 miles at this point), and when I do an indoor workout, I use a Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith video of 5-6 miles and I run during simple walking segments rather than merely walk. If cued to, I use weights and bands and whatnot, and I've pretty much mastered all the various moves, so I think my body is just like "Okay, I'm thoroughly used to this, and this no longer requires as much effort."

While I want to continue getting more miles and speed in my outdoor cardio work, I think I may need to mix up the indoor sessions quite a bit more. The problem is, I've been doing walking-based DVDs for so long and love them that to consider doing some other kind of workout feels scary, and I dislike dance videos. I want a good, intense cardio burn, expending lots of calories and raising my HR again, but without any fancy footwork. I also don't want to have to buy a lot of other/new equipment--I've got a set of FIRM steps, an aerobic step, stretchy bands, a full set of dumbbells from 1-10 lbs. in 1-lb. increments, and a FIRM Wave, and I feel like I really should stop there. I'm not averse to buying new DVDs, though.

I've tried some Cathe in the past but I really can't do plyo or too much jumping for some reason. I'm very short and lack explosive modality, probably due to some mild plantar fasciitis and age. Are there HIIT workouts that really get the blood pumping without a ton of impact? And without being crazy hard?

Part of me wants to go all out and get Insanity or P90X and just do it as well as I can, but I know both of those systems depend on plyometrics, and that just gives me a huge feeling of dread.

Sorry so long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-20-18, 12:01 PM  
sherry7899

Have you tried kickboxing?

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 12:31 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Have you tried kickboxing?
Oo, no, I haven't. I used to have the beginner Tae Bo tapes back forever ago but long since got rid of them, but something in that vein might be what I'm looking for. Do you have a specific recommendation that you like?
Old 08-20-18, 12:40 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Cathe has some great low impact cardio workouts that are more intense but no jumping. Most have good premixes and may only require light dumbbells, yoga mat, and a step. The choreography isn't very complex so easy to follow. If you can stream, I'd suggest signing up for a month of Cathe On Demand for $19.97 and you can try them all out before purchasing. HTH.

1) ICE Series Low Impact Sweat
2) Strong and Sweaty Cardio Slam - (there's a low impact premix)
3) FitSplit Low Impact Cardio / Metabolic Conditioning - (two workouts on dvd)
4) ICE Series Low Impact Sweat - (2 workouts + back & abs / premixes)
5) Cathe Friedrich Ripped with HiiT Low Impact HiiT One & Two
6) Cathe Friedrich XTrain All Out Low Impact HIIT
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 12:52 PM  
Leonana

Jessica Smith has a low impact playlist on her You Tube channel. Some of them are pretty challenging. This one is only 8 minutes, but it gets my heart rate up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH3O...P5I4eXG_p7dQAI
Old 08-20-18, 01:45 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Oo, no, I haven't. I used to have the beginner Tae Bo tapes back forever ago but long since got rid of them, but something in that vein might be what I'm looking for. Do you have a specific recommendation that you like?
I have to follow Sherry's recommendation for kickboxing! It can be intense cardio, without all the impact of HIIT. There are a ton of Taebo workouts on youtube you could try. I think both of his cardio circuit workouts would be good to try-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZV7vqGJwdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nqnpl6tsc

Cardio Circuit 2 is easier, but it is longer than Cardio Circuit 1.

I also love Kelly Coffey Meyer's kickboxing and stepboxing. But you can't find those for free to view online. Oh- she does have a "raw" boxing workout on youtube-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj0pyiBblyY&t=129s

Give some of these kickboxing workouts a try to see if you like them. It might just be a change of pace you are looking for! Good luck!
Old 08-20-18, 02:26 PM  
cindyw75

Another vote for Kickboxing. Jessica has 2 kickboxing videos on YouTube that are right at the 30 minute mark.

I would also recommend Cathe's low-impact cardios. I like Low Impact Hiit (1 & 2) from her Ripped w/Hiit series. I also like Cardio Supersets and Slide & Glide from the Low Impact Series. I LOVE all of Cathe's kickboxing. I also like some of KCM's cardio workouts.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 03:18 PM  
laurajhawk

Kickboxing was my first thought too! I do like Tae Bo but it's not everybody's cup of tea. Jessica probably has a broader appeal. I did her Cardio Abs workout (from the 10 Pounds Down Cardio Abs DVD this morning and sweated buckets.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 06:24 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I'll add in a recommendation for Cathe's Afterburn, low impact but NOT low intensity! It has become one of my favorites and kicks my booty without killing my joints. It does use the gliding discs, but I use furniture sliders on my carpet and they work great for me (and weren't expensive).
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 08:01 PM  
kat999

These are all such great suggestions, everyone! I'm going to try to preview several and see what clicks with me. If you have more, keep 'em coming!