Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-18, 06:15 PM  
rhbrand

I hadn't done step in a few years and found the Step Reebok workout on YouTube. Did it remembered how fun it was.

I've done a few since. Not to often cause I'm lifting mostly, but its fun once and a while.
Old 08-15-18, 09:05 PM  
marki64

I still love all my step dvds. When step was popular, I did it too much and developed terrible achilles tendon pain. I took a long hiatis to heal my heels. After about 3 years, my tendons fully healed and I lowered my step and got back to it. I don't do step often but my favorite is by far, Amy Bento Ross. All of hers are great and deliver a good sweatfest. I still also love KCM Ready, Step, Go and a few Christi's. Oh and Sharon Twombly's Athletic Step.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-18, 12:10 AM  
acey

Timely question for me. I didn't do a lot of step for about 6 years - was moving constantly due to my divorce in NYC, didn't often have a lot of space. Now I'm in a more stable place and I only just recently started pulling out step workouts again. Because of the hiatus, the workouts have for now been a big plateau-buster both mentally and physically. Even step workouts I used to do, after all that time, they work my brain and I feel more worked out cardio-wise than with my hi-lo and kickboxing! I do use the 4-inch step now, feel no need to do higher. I did Patrick Goudeau's CIA 9001 step workout yesterday, plus Cathe's Rhythmic Step a couple of days before that. But it will take a while to get back up to the complexity of Amy Bento or Season Zieger.
Old 08-16-18, 11:19 AM  
little bird

I usually do step once a week. This is one of my favorite types of cardio. I am afraid if I stop doing step, I won't be able to do it. I only use the 4 inch step.
Old 08-16-18, 11:42 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Wow, here I thought I was the only person out here doing step on a 4" step with no risers! Glad I have so many cohorts in crime!

I love step, always have. I have more of an appreciation for basic up down up down step now that my knees are older... but I do still love choreography too. I just do less of it. I do step pretty often.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-18, 03:21 PM  
acey

Four inches is plenty! Looking back I don't know how I didn't get seriously injured, trying to do complex moves with 6-8-inch steps! Especially when they have you do quick steps over the bench, or big backward hops, or jumping on and off the bench. I read somewhere (maybe the Yaya board?) that the caloric burn isn't much different with a lower step anyway.
Old 08-16-18, 05:42 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I'm in the "prefer dancey, choreography heavy step" camp! Not only with step, but with all workouts I'm finding more and more how much I loathe cardio drills for drills' sake. There are so many forms of cardio that I find enjoyable that are actually interesting to me, and dancey step is definitely one of them. I have started completely separating out my weights and cardio workouts for this reason, as someone else mentioned before in this thread, I'M TIRED OF HIIT!! I know it's a time saver, but I just don't find it fun in most cases because most instructors just drill you death with the same old moves.

I really like Seasun Zieger's workouts, and Christi Taylor's as well. Amy Bento-Ross has some great ones for days that I want something trickier!! And Tap Less, Step More is one of my all-time favorites.
Old 08-16-18, 06:06 PM  
Daffie

4-5 days a week
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-18, 08:32 PM  
bettyboopboop

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
This.

I *adore* step aerobics for cardio; fun, usually good music, engaging, not just drills. But it is once a week for me these days. I love Seasun, Cathe, Amy Bento, Christi, Rob Glick. Doing an old step workout I have done so many times is like seeing an old friend again.
This is exactly how I feel when I do my Firm BSS series videos. The music, the tone of voice of the instructors...it immediately brings me joy and nostalgia for when I first fell in love with step aerobics/the Firm. I injured my knee over 6 years ago and have been on hiatus from step, but over the last year I have slowly been incorporating it into my routine. Started with Stephanie Huckabee's Power Fit cardios that have "step" on the floor. Progressed to Super Cardio Sculpt, Cardio Sculpt Blaster, and sections from BSS2 and BSS3. Definitely just use my 4" step. I tried 6" one day and my knee burned for a month. Not worth it. I'm not doing step nearly as much as I would like right now as I am trying to worth through plantar fasciitis in my right heel. I hope to someday be able to do more step! I love it all from the basic choreo of the Firm to the more dancey, complex choreo of Cathe.
Old 08-16-18, 11:06 PM  
Tammie M

I usually do one step workout per week. I like more moderate to complex choreography. These are my fun workouts for the week. I only use a 4" step also. My knees are not happy if I try a 6" step.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step aerobics, step without a step