Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-18, 05:54 AM  
desie

I found that my cardio improved with Dasha Libin Kettlebell Kickboxing Scorcher series (https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Ki.../dp/B007OWPR6E.

I think my cardio endurance got better because of the burpee variations that were in every workout. My body wasn't used to that kind of work and it was hard at first.

I think the key is finding a new movement that you can do, that doesn't bother you in any way, and getting better at it.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 05:57 AM  
desie

I just remembered, many people have liked Yvette Bachman on you-tube, https://youtu.be/wm9wQlEXK0w?list=PL...7Q8fHKNYUKXLQW, and increased their cardio endurance with her workouts.

I have her bookmarked, but have been too lazy to preview and then try the workouts that would be right for me.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 07:53 AM  
Dontmindthemess

I think Yvette's workouts would be great to increase your endurance. I did them 2 to 3 times a week in the winter and I was able to get back to running outside when the weather improved (I'm a nice weather runner.). They are easy to follow and the music is good too. Some are circuits with weights and kettlebells and some are just cardio.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 09:52 AM  
Sara1000

When I do a Leslie workout I set up my high step nearby with 2-3 risers and do step ups part of the time instead of just walking. I don't do any running or jumping but the step really raises the intensity for me.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 03:50 PM  
frogribbit
VF Supporter

I don't like a lot of impact either and decided I'm not built for "explosive" moves

I use Cathe's ICE Low Impact Sweat and Amy Dixon's Breathless. Lots of modifiers in Breathless and where she does 8 rounds of each move I usually only do 4 rounds of each.
frogribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 07:05 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Tracie Long is my go-to instructor, many low impact options, and really effective!

KCM also has a modifier in almost workout and her moves are easily modifiable.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 09:04 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
The problem is my cardio workouts. I have an Apple Watch, and I've noticed that my heart rate and active calorie burn has kind of plateaued
I don't own an Apple watch, but if you have updated your profile which included a lower body weight, your burn rate will consequently decrease.

in addition, if your fitness level improved, you might actually be burning fat at a lower intensity, which means you won't need to increase the intensity.

there's several white papers on this subject that you can find on the web.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 10:09 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Cheap, low impact and sweaty: Jeanette Jenikins' old Kickboxing Boot camp (from around 2001, with her as a blond on the cover). Around 45 minutes and a great sweaty upgrade from walking workouts.

Also look into her Cardio Sculpt from the same set. Each tends to run around $5 on Amazon Prime, ordered directly from Jeanette's company.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 09:05 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
When I do a Leslie workout I set up my high step nearby with 2-3 risers and do step ups part of the time instead of just walking. I don't do any running or jumping but the step really raises the intensity for me.
Oo, what a great easy idea!
Old 08-28-18, 09:06 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I don't own an Apple watch, but if you have updated your profile which included a lower body weight, your burn rate will consequently decrease.

in addition, if your fitness level improved, you might actually be burning fat at a lower intensity, which means you won't need to increase the intensity.

there's several white papers on this subject that you can find on the web.
Yes, I update my AW health info when my weight changes. Part of the fitness issue is that I do want to lose some weight, but that's a good point about the intensity and fat burning. I'll do some research!