Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-13, 09:43 PM  
LauraBella

Red face Tennis,anyone?

Good site /cheap book for understanding the rudimentary rules/scoring for tennis.

I have access to what I'm told are awesome courts. I have a racket. I enjoy hitting balls.

I cannot seem to get all the basic rules of play. Which contributes to my not having a friend who is "bad enough" to play with me.

Id really like to play, though. Any help so I can get as smart as a beginner? I just really don't want to take a friend up on the "help you learn" offer..and wind up embarrassed.
LauraBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 10:41 PM  
zgirl

Rules tennis

Go to usta.com and look under "Improve your Game" for the "Rules". Then click on A Friend at Court, which has all the Rules of tennis. It will give you the basic USTA rules you'll need to start keeping score. It's kind of dense reading & pretty technical.

The part to be sure to read is The Code which is the yellow section in the Friend At Court. It's very readable and gives you lots of examples of common courtesy that's expected on the tennis court and solutions to disputes that can arise during play. You'll often run into people who don't know the rules and make up their own, but if you know the rules in the Code, you'll know what to do in most situations and always play fair.

I've been playing tennis for almost 40 years. It's a wonderful game that allows all ages to play together, because it's all based on playing level. Knowing the rules of the game makes it more fun and fair for everyone.

Paula Z
zgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 11:41 PM  
pumptmuscle

Try Craigslist. Under the "Communities" section then "activities," you can sometimes find beginning tennis players looking for someone to play with. You might also put up a small ad in your local supermarket's bulletin board by writing one on an index card.

I agree with Paula; tennis is great.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tennis