Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-05-20, 11:55 AM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 7/5-11: "It's okay to fall apart sometimes...."

"It's okay to fall apart sometimes. Tacos fall apart and we still love them."

carlys_confessions on Instagram

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 12:03 PM  
JustSandra

Hello again!

Was looking for quotes re Covid and this popped up! I'm sure that during the last few months all of us have "fallen apart" for an hour, or a day, or a week. When I think of the months (years?) of unknowns ahead of us I occasionally "fall apart" myself. But I'm slowly learning to accept the New Normal and its uncertainties, give my kitties a kiss and a cuddle, and just get on with my life -- however different it looks these days.

Still enjoying my Aimless Walks (although I am taking today off from same). Am trying to also do a short workout most afternoons. However, lately my library shifts have been *very* physical, which sort of dampens my enthusiasm for after-work exercise. Am going to try shifting to gentler stuff on those days.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

Old 07-05-20, 12:18 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

KCM 30MTF Muscle Up (Legs/Glutes Premix)

Oh man, Kelly's frog squats cause a burn!

Sandra, thank you for starting us. I just love that quote! Yep, I've fallen apart more times than I care to remember.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 03:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, good quote for this week. My family (parents & 2 sisters) has been doing weekly video calls on Saturdays since the start of the pandemic. My youngest sister was having a tough time yesterday, and we talked a lot about the difficulties of not having a clear end in sight.

Paine, I don't have that KCM, but she does frog squats in some of her other videos, and they are tough!

Here was my week:

Monday
recumbent bike, 20 mins
Barre 3 (FB) - Sadie 30m Barre3 at Home

Tuesday
Live outdoor yoga class with Carol

Wednesday
Yoga170 (local studio, online class) - Refreshing Flow with Carly (@20m--too flow-y for me and I wasn't feeling it!)
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Shoulder Stabilization, 2 of 4
Anita Goa (YT) - Upper Body Foam Roller

Thursday
95-minute Yin Yoga Practice from Yin YTT (Day 5, Lesson 1)

Friday
Barre3 (FB) - 20m with Christa Joy, 4/18
30MTF Body Design - Stronger Lower
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Beginning Shoulder Rehab; Carpal Tunnel and Wrist Strengthening
Live outdoor yoga class with Cathy & Amy Jo

Saturday
Barre3 (YT) - 5m Travel Friendly Workout
30MTF Body Design - Cardio Sculpting w/Light Dumbbells; Kickboxing with Light Dumbbells
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Shoulder Stabilization, 1 of 4
Yoga Shack Online (YT) - Gentle 4th of July Yoga

Sunday
Tracy C (YT) - Ballet Toning Workout for Women
David Kirsch (YT) - Sound Mind Sound Body Bootcamp*
Adam Fields DC (YT) - Carpal Tunnel and Wrist Strengthening

*Found this workout on YT today. It included a lot of things I like, such as punching, kinking, plies, and light weights--but it was kind of a mish-mash. Plus, the music sounded like an 80s evening soap opera and David tended to refer to himself in the 3rd person.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 04:15 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, you had a nice assortment of workouts this week.
Do you think that extroverted people have more difficulty with the pandemic (as opposed to more introverted personalities)?
Old 07-05-20, 04:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, are you asking me as a psychologist or anecdotally? I can't really make an informed professional opinion, but overall yes, I think in many ways it's been tougher on extroverts. DH & I are both introverts and are fine with being at home! But I miss the things we like to do together, such as eating out and going to book sales (although we are doing the latter tomorrow). What I really don't like is the uncertainty and the feeling about missing out on summer. For my sister it's been a lot tougher for many reasons, including being a single mom, having 2 young kids, and having had to take on extra work at her job (because so many people were laid off).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 06:20 PM  
JustSandra

Hi once more!

Today's Workout: My local VF buddy loaned me her copy of FitPrime Pump with Heidi Tanner. For some reason the WHFN FitPrimes have been calling me! Anyway I did it today and I loved it. Have ordered my own copy of Pump, plus Lean and the combo Metaboost/Flexposture.

I'm an introvert also so staying at home hasn't been too onerous. However, I don't like what the pandemic has done to my job (although I am thankful I have one!). I'm sorry I can't take my little grandniece to the pools in my complex or the playground across the street. I *really* hate the uncertainty as far as how long this will go on, although I am trying to make peace with it since no quick resolution is in sight.

Waving to all!

Old 07-05-20, 08:04 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, I'm asking for both reasons and out of curiosity. I too am an introvert and while I'm OK being home, I do feel disappointed I haven't been able to get out and do things, especially since we recently moved here in March. I also don't like the uncertainty about the future and it's sad that the economy in this country has gone down the toilet. Oh, I understand how it would be much more difficult for your sister with all those responsibilities. Thank goodness she has a job! So many people have lost their jobs.
I hope you find some good things at the book sale!

Sandra, now you have me curious about FitPrime Pump with Heidi Tanner! I took a look at the video clip and I like the way the exercises are done slowly.
Old 07-05-20, 08:11 PM  
cyana

Today:
Not a most satisfying fitness day- it was hot, I was a fickle pickle and DS called in the middle of my yin practice. As much as I love Norman Blair, I'll always love DS more, LOL, so I didn't finish since our calls are always lengthy.
YT - Jessica Smith - Strength Something (forgot the name) - I wanted to do total body weights, but wasn't in the mood to do side planks, so I Joni O'd this one.
YT - randomly came across Full Body Workout for Women over 50 from The Fit Mother project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHwQJLFy6w . As it turned it out, it was instructional, but I did the exercises while he was talking. This would be a good video to share with someone who knew a little about weights but wasn't sure how to put together a total body routine to do at home. I plan to check out more of the videos on that channel and see if there's anything of interest.
MFML - Issues And Tissues - Norman Blair. Oh, Norman, I do love you and I've been missing yin, so I'll try to finish this practice later this week.

I finally got masks ordered!!! I ordered a total of six masks, from 5 different vendors. I thought that would be a good way to try different styles and construction. Three have already sent shipping confirmations, so I'm hoping all goes well. Has anyone bought the filters to slip inside the masks? I bought masks with nose wires and filter pouches. I got 3 that are more girly (meaning the fabric) and 3 that are more neutral and man-acceptable.

I was looking for a quick recipe for a side dish for dinner last evening, and came across this Quick Cabbage Coleslaw on Skinnytaste: https://www.skinnytaste.com/quick-cabbage-slaw/ . We thought it was pretty good and I doubled the recipe and it holds up well in the refrigerator. I think it would be really good on fish or black bean tacos, as well as being a decent side.

Today I made seed crackers, plain hummus, turmeric hummus and sliced up some cukes for snacking.

Sandra - Pump is one of my favorite FitPrimes (love the music on that one, too). I liked the quote for the week. I think we've all felt like we were falling apart this year. And I love tacos, especially now that I've discovered Siete grain free taco shells.

Paine - You've definitely had plenty going on this year, to say the least! I would imagine the extroverts are struggling more with social distancing and stay at home mandates.

Beth - Enjoy your book sale tomorrow!

Need to start winding it down for the evening - hope everyone's week gets off to a good start.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 08:27 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Cyana, I would have chosen talking to my son over finishing a yin practice too!
I haven't bought filters to fit inside my masks. I will pass on that since I'm counting on my mask to do the job. The masks I have are already double layered.
Your coleslaw recipe looks great! I've been eating a lot of English cucumbers lately (and raw jicama too). My grandsons both love cucumbers and jicama.