Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-20, 08:11 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Ellen Barrett's Pick Your Level Pilates followed by Yoga With Kassandra Yoga for Hips Hamstrings and Flexibility. DH and I also did a neighborhood walk.

Anita, how is chair yoga going for you? I've come to love chair workouts lately I can do them without twigging my hip. I have arthritis in my right shoulder too, I can lift light weights above my head if I go slowly, being supported in a chair seems to help. I grew up in orchard country. We had bussels and bussels of fruit every year. Friends and relatives would leave a busselof fruit on our porch nearly every day. My mother spent the summer canning - peaches and pears mostly. We had a pantry in our basement which was full of canned that kept us in fruit all winter. Never have had canned fruit nearly as good since. When we moved to California all that stopped and we got our canned fruit at the market like everyone else.

Deedee, Wow, that sounds like some storm. I enjoy that kind of storm if I'm home and safe and can watch it through a window. I always get the urge to bake or make soup when it's cold outside - don't know why but it's good for my freezer.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 08:24 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had an infusion today. I'm doing pretty well - functional - for being post infusion. The rest of the day I got stuff done around here. I started one cardio workout on YouTube and found it boring and switched to a 15-minute Jessica Smith cardio workout. I got in about 25 minutes.

Dede - Is that where that storm tonight came from? We had a torrential downpour; it slowed down; then it was storming again. Sheets of rain was coming down and water seemed to be everywhere. We thought we were getting hail for a minute, but it was just huge drops of rain pelting the windows. One of my favorite YouTube people who I'm learning multimedia techniques from is fond of saying, "Let's try this. What's the worst that could happen?" I've made that my mantra..." It really is relaxing to me.

Anita - I do the journal entries using paint and paper and stamps, etc. Then, I take a picture of them with my phone and upload them here. It's great that you got to see friends, and that Gus got some play time in.

Paula - It sounds like chair workouts are ideal for you. It's good you have figured out how to get strength work in without hurting yourself. I had that thought during the rain tonight - maybe it will wash the air. We're apparently almost out of the dust storm at this point according to the news. Is the air quality in your area better. We have heard on the news that a lot of areas have seen improvments since less people are driving.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 10:41 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning! Happy July!

I finished my shift at WRC - nice to get done early! I am a sweaty mess however, so didn't try to do a grocery run after the WRC - I'll shower, walk Gus, then go... Otherwise planning on putzing and maybe dropping off some things at a charity - they are beautiful pillows and wall hangings that have sat on a shelf for about 25 years... ummm time to go. The city came by overnight to fix street lights - yay! My light in front of the house should be working now!

Dede, I've not taken calcium supplements in a loooooong time, but do eat plenty of almond milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Hope that helps my bones. Unfortunately, I'm not doing the scale of weight bearing exercise I used to do - always hoped that helped my bones (despite hurting my joints) - I see you had the same thoughts and still developed osteoporosis . I've still not heard from the doctor on a surgical date - hope they clear the site with my insurance as I don't think their clinic facilities get covered (at least a few years ago when I had the knee replacement had to go to the city hospital for coverage). I feel sorry for outside only dogs - mine loves cuddling with me on the couch and in bed - cuddling will help when fireworks are going off!

Paula, I skipped chair yoga yesterday - I took Gus for a morning walk when it was still relatively cool rather than wait for the afternoon after the chair yoga. The last session I took got me a little ticked off as she wanted us to reverse the breathing patterns - it made me frustrated and unhappy not to take nice deep breaths when expanding my chest. I left the class early online . I've not done much with canned fruit the last several years - fresh and frozen seem to be what I buy these days. I certainly haven't ever canned my own either .

Laura, don't know if you're getting the same wave of heavy rain that we got a few nights ago - 8" rain in some parts of MN causing lots of flooding and road damage . You do have an artistic eye on composing your sheets - there was one that was a bit overdone with wording on it, in my opinion, but I liked the others. Cool if that wording was in your handwriting - you've got neat writing!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 12:12 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I got moving early this morning and got out to the grocery store. I went to Food Lion because they carry something DH needed. Did I look for that one thing? No! Totally forgot about it... <insert Mr. RollEyes here> I still need to exercise - I'll do today's Jessica Smith strength workout. And, I'll take DH to is PT appointment.

I went to my infusion yesterday and slept really soundly last night. I'm not as hung over today as I can be sometimes. While there, I watched the movie Christopher Robin, a gentle and pretty good movie.

Anita - Yay on the streetlight. We have a really bright one outside our house and we don't need the outside house lights on very much. Hope yours is useful. Thanks for your comments. I've worked on learning how to write a couple of fonts to jazz up some of my spreads. My regular handwriting isn't that great, but you can learn to draw some fancier fonts.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-01-20, 04:33 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Just finished a tough workout. I did Ice Chiseled Lower Body Blast and Icy Core 2. I'm a sweaty mess.

Anita, I don't know if the neighbor's dog is an outside-only dog. I never hear it bark. But I did notice the dog house recently. They haven't lived there long. I wish I liked dairy foods more. I don't want to eat them really, and I certainly don't need the extra calories. And I don't want them replacing what I already eat. If I didn't have such a weight problem, I'd just force-feed myself. I know it's not a serious problem considering what others are going through, but it is annoying.

Laura, I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up with the weather forecast lately. That's why sudden torrential downpours take me by surprise. It's been days since I've put the bird feeders out because I never know what kind of weather we're going to have. The sun will be shining brightly one minute, and the next thing I know, we have thunder, cloudy skies, and heavy rain.

Paula, my grandmother did a lot of canning. My mom did some but hated it. I never did it. No desire whatsoever. But I did love my grandmother's canned green beans.

Everyone stay safe and have a good evening.
Old 07-01-20, 08:35 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Another month! Happy July 1st everyone.

Good evening. No workout for me today so far, I may get in some yoga before bed. We got out of the house early to move the boat to a different slip. This may sound like an easy endeavor, and it is, but it is time consuming. We had to move everything in the dock box and the slip fenders (you probably don't know what slip fenders are but never mind). Anyway, as a wise woman I used to work for liked to say "things take longer than they do" meaning everything takes longer than you estimate.

Laura, glad the infusion went well. Is it an immedate repsonse - do you feel immediately better after an infusion? As for air quality where I live is always pretty good as we have the wind from the ocean to clear it out. The problem in California is the mountains - the wind comes off the ocean and blows the smog inland until it hits the mountains, unless the wind is strong enough to push it up and over (which is rare) by afternoon the smog is hanging over the towns/cities at the base of the mountains. Remember Lynn? She lived in one of those areas that gets lots of smog due to the wind pattern. There are some really nice aspects to living at the base of the mountains but the smog is a draw back. Yeah, some days those chair workouts are ideal for me.

Anita, I'm sure someone else will love those pillows and wall hangings - time for them to find a new home. Hope the street light is working tonight. I take Calcium supplements, have for many years - 600 mg with vitimin D. One tablet a day. I would hate trying to reverse my breathing pattern in a yoga practice too - that takes concentration.

Deedee, Why do you wish you ate more dairy? I haven't eaten mush dairy all my life being severe lactose intolerance. There are many foods that have calcium besides dairy, and as I said I take calcuim supplements. Some orange juice is fortified with calcium. I don't can either, I buy fresh and frozen fruit.
Old 07-02-20, 08:19 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on taking Gus to the vet for some shots, heartworm drugs, and nail trim - basically maintenance stuff. Afterwards a nice walk at the park. He was a bit weird yesterday not eating, then having stomach growls in bed with me - I showed him his food again last night and he ate it - no problems, no further gut sounds - weird that he skipped all day... Otherwise, I'll be putzing around the house and yard - another hot and humid day! Chair yoga is at the same time as the vet visit, so skipping it today.

Laura, I have forgetful store visits too - I do think I finally got all my half year restocks done though (filters for water and air, toothbrush, etc.). My streetlight is one of the old fashioned lamp type about ten feet off the ground. It is nice a golden light when working.

Dede, I'm happy to have a gut that still can handle dairy foods - so many adults can't. I do love them (except for milk - I drink almond milk). Your icy workouts don't seem to be chilling you out!

Paula, I assume parking places for boats at docks are prime ocean real estate for convenience, safety, social environment, etc. I miss Lynn - hope she's doing well these days! I'll be dropping the house decorations off at a charity store that does fancier stuff today - it's across the street from the vet clinic.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 12:19 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Worked out early today since I'm taking DH to a doctor's appointment with his primary at three.

I did a premix from Party Rockin' Step 2 that included combos from workout one and two. It went well. I was afraid I'd stumble on the choreography for the sections from workout one since it's dancier, but I did fine with the combos she chose for the premix.

Anita, I hope Gus's visit goes well.

Paula, I wish I ate more dairy because I thought it might help with calcium so I wouldn't have to take supplements or prescription meds.

Everyone have a great day. We finally have sunshine.
Old 07-02-20, 06:03 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I did the standing part of a fusion workout by Jessica and then did a walking workout.

It was a busy-ish day with laundry and taking DH to a medical appointment. I did some crafting and got some records together for taxes.

I help keep the cheese industry in business and drink chai tea lattes and eat pudding with cow's milk. I'm glad I don't have a dairy/lactose sensitivity. I'd miss the cheese especially.

Anita - It's good Gus was okay after seeming off. Hopefully, he will stay that way.

Paula - Yeah, I remember Lynn. I hope she ended up in a good/better place. That makes sense with the L.A. smog. It's good you live in a place where it gets cleared out.

Dede - Yeah, it's hard to plan when you don't know what to expect or they're wrong. We were supposed ot have a week with highs in the 80s and they were TOTALLY wrong. It has been in the 90s and it has been more humid than they said it would be.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-02-20, 08:04 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B 30 day Weight loss program Day 2 followed by Yoga with Adriene - Transitions then a neighborhood walk with DH.

Anita, hope Gus survived his visit to the vet and his tummy is feeling better. I love those old fashioned lamp posts - they lend such beauty to a street. Not sure whether slips are prime real estate. We like the location of the gangway where we are, but initially we were slipped next to a party constantly family and that was more noise and activity than we could take so asked to be moved when another slip in our size came available, which didn't take long. We moved but didn't like that slip because of the prevailing wind which made getting into and out of the slip more difficult, so again we asked to move if something else came available. Hopefully this one is just right - we think it will be. We've never had this much trouble finding a suitable slip with any of our other boats. I miss Lynn, and Sherrie, and Mary, and Lexy, and Janice and I can't remember all the Cronies who used to post regularly and now don't. I hope Mary is OK after the upset of her divorce and now she's in a COVIC hot spot in Phoenix. I think of her often.

Deedee, pat yourself on the back for mastering the choregraphy - personally I'm more into Leslie Sansone where the choregraphy is so basic a blind person could follow it.

Laura, doesn't it seem like even with just two people, laundry seems to multiply in the night. We did two loads today, after I thought we were all caught up yesterday. Those medical appointments that DH was supposed to have before isolation that got postponed are now back on calendar. Guess I'll be driving him to appointments on and off during July.