Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-20, 03:25 AM  
IceQueen07

lower body workouts

My legs have become more jiggly and cellulite seems to be more prominent now (55 years old). What workouts are best for legs to get them more toned. My knees are not great, so too many lunges give me issues. I know weights are good, but my legs tend to "bulk" very easily. What do you find works well for legs?

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 06:26 AM  
Tugger31

It's been about 6-7 months but my legs have NEVER looked as good as they do now. I've posted this somewhere else on this site, but I had a spinal surgery last Fall and have not been allowed to do any cardio with any impact whatsoever. So I started out doing Jessica a few times a week and also started walking. I have gradually increased my walking distance to about 3-5 miles 3-5 times a week, sometimes a bit longer on my "long distance" day.(My longest walk so far has been 7.5 miles, but I only do a longer walk once a week or every other week, basically when I have the time and motivation and the weather cooperates) If the weather is bad I either walk on my treadmill or do Jessica. I have done a low impact step dvd here and there just for something different. I used to have big, bulky legs and did alot of HiiT training. I know some of the reduced size is loss of my muscle b/c I haven't been doing any heavy weight training but I'm good with that b/c my legs have gained much more endurance doing longer walks. For lower body strength I do mostly Cathe, some barre and floor work, step up on my FIRM box. I usually do it all unweighted or I will hold a 10 lb kettlebell close to my chest for things like squats and step ups b/c I'm not allowed to lift anything over my head. I also can't do deadlifts so I have been subbing hip thrusts on my stability ball b/c I feel my glutes need a bit of a lift. I do hip thrusts or a set of 50 glute bridges about 3 times a week. All of these things have slowly but surely given me the legs I have been trying to achieve for years. I know we are all different but that is what has worked for me! Too bad it took a spine surgery for me to stick with it!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 07:15 AM  
alisoncooks

OP - what workouts do you currently do, so we can know what level to suggest? I'm hesitant to suggest my favorites because they're likely too easy for you. (I tend to do beginner/low-Intermediate stuff.)

@Tugger31 - I'm encouraged by your experience. DH and I have been recently motivated to add walking to our week. I've also been dragging my DDs along, who are too sedentary (they won't video with me). I'm hoping this gives us all more endurance! (And leg slimming would not be unwelcome.)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 08:30 AM  
Janine

I just did To The Mat Legs & Glutes from the ICE series yesterday. I really liked it. It gets all parts of the legs and should really tone them up.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 08:57 AM  
bubbles76

Well, nuts I did a long answer and it disappeared.

The crux of it though was to try Margaret Richard's floorwork or maybe Tonique. I can attest the MR floorwork gave me my best legs ever, strong and tight and defined. Cathe's Xtrain and Rock Bottom's rotation was good too, but I'm sure there were squats, lunges, and plyos with both. I know you have knee problems, but I suggest Tonique because the moves are unweighted. I have not done a Tonique rotation, but you may want to check out some Tonique threads just to see. Barlates may work too. I know she was a bunch of floorwork on her channel.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 11:23 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

these activities below in different stages of my life did it for me:

1) Callanetics - always a winner for me
2) outdoor biking
3) jump roping
4) leg press, tall box climbs

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 11:53 AM  
IceQueen07

@tugger31 - Your results are encouraging. I do walks in the morning, less than a mile and then I also make sure by the end of the night I get my 10K steps in. I have been doing dvds for that (Jessica and Leslie Sansone). I used to have Suzanne Bowen streaming and did that for a couple of years but ended up stopping. Maybe need to add some barre workouts in.

@alisoncooks - I mainly have been doing KCM workouts. A mixture, but boxing and then some form of weight workouts. I love lifting weights and I have really enjoy getting into heavy bag and shadow boxing.

@Janine - I have the ICE series, but haven’t done that since it came out. Maybe I should revisit that one. I honestly don’t remember it.

@bubbles76 - never done a Margaret Richards workout or tonique. I may look at them to see if they are something I may like to do.

@bzar - I did Callanetics in the past and honestly didn’t see any results. Either I didn’t do long enough or I didn’t do right. lol. I do have a spin bike that I have been neglecting for about a year, maybe should add that. My knees can’t handle jump roping, would love to be able to do that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They all help give me ideas to try. I mainly have KCM, Cathe, Jessica and CS/Essentric dvds. Not real consistent with the CS/Essentrics. KCM has been what I have been doing a lot of.

**Candice**
Old 06-26-20, 02:32 PM  
Tugger31

I'm not sure my results would be as good as they are if I wasn't walking longer distances more frequently. I don't think at this point walking a mile 1-2 times a week would do it. I was pretty much forced to devote my working out to walking and I think that made all the difference. In the past I would have not done it as long or walked as far for fear of losing my strength, or it not working etc etc. The consistency and also I think taking out the plyo moves which built up my quad size and adding in more glute work was the magic formula for me.

I think I need to start adding in some Margaret Richards and Tonique!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 03:06 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
@bzar - I did Callanetics in the past and honestly didn’t see any results. Either I didn’t do long enough or I didn’t do right. lol. I do have a spin bike that I have been neglecting for about a year, maybe should add that. My knees can’t handle jump roping, would love to be able to do that.
with callanetics, i'm referring to the originals by Callan Pinckney. she has the Quick Callanetics (all on 1 disk) and just do those. the pretzel move and the stretches in "Hips and Behind" are the key, i think. of course, Legs is also a good one on that disk. each segment is 20 min apiece.

spin bike is just as good.

report back after a month or so!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-20, 04:54 AM  
IceQueen07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
with callanetics, i'm referring to the originals by Callan Pinckney. she has the Quick Callanetics (all on 1 disk) and just do those. the pretzel move and the stretches in "Hips and Behind" are the key, i think. of course, Legs is also a good one on that disk. each segment is 20 min apiece.

spin bike is just as good.

report back after a month or so!
Looks like Mary has Quick Callanetics on sale until Sunday. I am thinking I am going to get that one and see what results I may get.

**Candice**

Tags
legs, lower body results, thigh slimming, thutt, walking