Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-14, 04:39 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I just finished The Kitchen House which I loved! I also read Orphan Train which I liked well enough. And finally, I have just read What Alice Forgot which I could not put down. I loved that one, too. Now I have to take a break from reading and take care of my family!
Old 09-01-14, 08:25 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
I'm reading A Vision in Velvet by Juliet Blackwell from her witchcraft mystery series (I like this series a lot better than her haunted house series for some reason.)

Next will be Ghost of a Gamble by Sue Ann Jaffarian from her Ghost of Granny Apples mystery series.

I like that series by Juliet Blackwell, too!

Thank you for starting the fall reading thread, difit! I can't believe it's time for that! (Yay! My favorite season is fall!)

I'm currently reading Annette Blair's "Skirting the Grave" (4th in the series) right now.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 07:35 AM  
muddjeansgal

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts in these threads. I don't read much at all but when I do I usually pull a suggestion from here. I just finished Gone Girl and this week have devoured Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. In fact, I think this week I will pick up another Joe Hill novel.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:31 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
I'm reading A Vision in Velvet by Juliet Blackwell from her witchcraft mystery series (I like this series a lot better than her haunted house series for some reason.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
I like that series by Juliet Blackwell, too! ...
Me too! Maybe the other series needs a magical pig/gargoyle?
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:51 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I attended author Karen Abbott's entertaining talk & slide show tonight and picked up a copy of her new book, "Liar Temptress Soldier Spy: Four Women Undercover in the Civil War." I enjoyed her other book, "Sin in the Second City" a few years ago. Her new book looks like it will be another fun, occasionally bawdy, page-turner about historical 'bad' girls .... She said she's going to write a novel next, based on a recent Smithsonian Institute article she wrote about the wealthy 19th century con artist-turned-recluse, Ida Wood.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 08:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am reading a really good one about the French occupation & slavery in Haiti around 1800, Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende. Captivating but brutal in parts with interesting and well developed characters.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I don't remember if I mentioned this on the summer reading thread but I read "The Girl you Left Behind" by JoJo Moyes. It was OK but not nearly as good as "Me Before You."
I am still working on Half of a Yellow Sun which I am enjoying. I was considering suggesting it for my book group but I am not sure it is a great discussion book.
I am recommending to read:
1) Tomlinson Hill by Chris Tomlinson (I heard about this one on NPR-true story about two families one white, one black that have roots to a slave plantation)
2) How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid

I am still trying to decide on the third book I want to suggest. Each of the members in our group picks three books that everyone votes on. I am thinking about:
1) Life after Life-Kate Atkinson
2) The Orchardist-Amanda Coplin
3) Mrs. Poe -Lynn Cullen
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:28 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been waiting for something new to read, and finally received the new Louise Penny (Armand Gamache series) today, and got the new Robin Hobb from the library. Ack! So many choices, but I got the Penny book first, so am deep into it already. She's such a good story teller, and a good writer.
Decided to get the Robin Hobb from the library, since I've found I don't re-read her books as much as I might have a few years back. The plus side of this plan is that I can wait to own my own copy when it comes out in paperback.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 09:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I received two books in the "Davis Way Crime Caper" series to review (there may only be two!); I'm going to start the first one, Double Whammy.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 10:45 AM  
Sissy B

I just finished The Good, the Bad, and the Emus, a Meg Langslow mystery by Donna Andrews.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall 2014, reading