Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-14, 04:37 PM  
Eibhinn

I'll be the first to admit that natural healing can be effective, but I think modern medical techniques were developed for very good reasons beyond profit, and should typically be the first place we look for treatment options for potentially fatal conditions, hopefully in conjunction with lifestyle changes and natural health options.

I get really nervous when people suggest doctors only recommend mainstream treatment options due to financial self-interest. I live in a country with a not-for-profit healthcare system and doctors still recommend treatments like chemotherapy because, imperfect as they are, they have been scientifically proven to be fairly effective. And they still prescribe mainstream medication even though the system is set up to prevent them getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies (like pharmacies default to generics whenever available - regardless of what it says on the prescription slip says - unless there is some specific reason brand name is needed). I'm glad that some people have had success with alternative options but I've heard a lot more stories where people eschewing bio-medical treatments for deadly diseases died as a result than success stories.

The problem I've seen online is exaggeration of anecdotal evidence and misrepresentation of the results of scientific studies. Like the idea that cannabis can cure cancer. I actually followed the data trail on that one, and while cannaboid substances have proved to have some effect on tumour growth, all of the research currently is partial and speculative. The medical researchers doing that work currently say, I thought fairly clearly, that evidence suggests that cannabis could possibly be useful in the treatment of some cancers for certain patients. That is hardly a cure that is being covered up by the government/big pharma as so many people claim. The research is still in progress. A big problem is that so few people are sufficiently scientifically literate to evaluate these claims, and they're often thrown out there in such extreme, conspiratorial forms ("the cancer cure your money-grubbing doctor doesn't want you to know about!") that it really doesn't help people evaluate treatment options in an objective or rational way.
Old 09-02-14, 05:03 PM  
rosepetals

"I actually followed the data trail on that one, and while cannaboid substances have proved to have some effect on tumour growth, all of the research currently is partial and speculative."

If you want to know more about mmj and medical research, this lady has compiled links to cancer and mmj and most other health conditions. They are medical studies. When I started reading about it and the actual medical studies done I was blown away. Open if you dare.

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/GS...CONDITIONS.pdf

There are many ways people can take mmj. Here is a lecture by a man who has healed a child of brain cancer by juicing the leaves and buds. CBD is now the big thing in healing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRLVyGfGcZs

Here is another documentary on a healing oil. Too bad things like this are not sold in a way that they can be obtained. I think there is so much potential. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYNLNF7NBw

I keep watching and reading this one. It's so exciting that nature is giving us so many different kinds of healing plants.

Medicine is not always proven. Back when I was in college studying pharmacopeia as part of the curriculum, I learned most medicines are hypothesis. I asked the instructor about that and she said it's not proven. It's an educated guess. Most of the psych medications, in the book the author said, "we hypothesize how it works." That means they don't know. They give them hoping for positive effects. All too often they are released before they are well tested for safety. Too many medications have black box warnings. Look at the ads on TV. A common side effect the announcer says is death or cancer. Ads like that always make me laugh.

The pharmaceutical salesmen and women are salesmen. They usually are people who are nurses with a degree in business or such that sell drugs to the Dr.s. They are the ones who tell the Dr.s which medications to try. They have less education than a Dr. has medically, yet they are telling the Dr. which medication to treat X.

There is a time for natural healing and there is a time for seeking medical treatment. I tend to follow the teaching of this place. http://hippocratesinst.org/ Dr. Brian Clement has many, many videos online that offer insight as to how to combine the best of both worlds. He also teaches that without diet changes, one usually will fail. Major diet changes are important to healing.
Old 09-02-14, 05:33 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I'll be the first to admit that natural healing can be effective, but I think modern medical techniques were developed for very good reasons beyond profit, and should typically be the first place we look for treatment options for potentially fatal conditions, hopefully in conjunction with lifestyle changes and natural health options.

I get really nervous when people suggest doctors only recommend mainstream treatment options due to financial self-interest. I live in a country with a not-for-profit healthcare system and doctors still recommend treatments like chemotherapy because, imperfect as they are, they have been scientifically proven to be fairly effective. And they still prescribe mainstream medication even though the system is set up to prevent them getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies (like pharmacies default to generics whenever available - regardless of what it says on the prescription slip says - unless there is some specific reason brand name is needed). I'm glad that some people have had success with alternative options but I've heard a lot more stories where people eschewing bio-medical treatments for deadly diseases died as a result than success stories.

The problem I've seen online is exaggeration of anecdotal evidence and misrepresentation of the results of scientific studies. Like the idea that cannabis can cure cancer. I actually followed the data trail on that one, and while cannaboid substances have proved to have some effect on tumour growth, all of the research currently is partial and speculative. The medical researchers doing that work currently say, I thought fairly clearly, that evidence suggests that cannabis could possibly be useful in the treatment of some cancers for certain patients. That is hardly a cure that is being covered up by the government/big pharma as so many people claim. The research is still in progress. A big problem is that so few people are sufficiently scientifically literate to evaluate these claims, and they're often thrown out there in such extreme, conspiratorial forms ("the cancer cure your money-grubbing doctor doesn't want you to know about!") that it really doesn't help people evaluate treatment options in an objective or rational way.
Totally agree. I know people who tried every way possible to avoid chemo and ended up needing it-and having it prolong their lives. No one size fits all answer and I'm glad we have modern medicine as an option, when needed.
Old 09-02-14, 08:12 PM  
TamiT

Me too cherimac!
Old 09-02-14, 08:25 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I find it odd that people will completely distrust big pharma and doctors but totally trust people doing the same thing (selling and making big money) alternative treatments.

Neither is all good or all bad. Look around, be skeptical, do research, try things.

When I was in my late 20s, my boyfriend had cancer and it made me decide I would probably not have chemo if I got cancer unless it was a cancer with a very high cure rate. But, now I have a teenager and would take an extra year or two to give her a better chance at a successful adulthood.

I do find it odd that people consider sickness and especially death a failure of anything, be it god or medicine. The only thing every animal has in common is that we all die. It is not a failure, it is the truth. Our culture that makes money off of telling us we can control - pretty much anything- makes us believe we can control much more than we can in reality. We are going to die and there is no way to do everything right to make that different.
Old 09-02-14, 08:52 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
We are going to die and there is no way to do everything right to make that different.

Well, my day is just ruined now! I was so sure a healthy life style would help me avoid this! If that's the case, I guess I might as well go enjoy some ice cream and brownies now.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Old 09-02-14, 10:38 PM  
northernlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I get really nervous when people suggest doctors only recommend mainstream treatment options due to financial self-interest. I live in a country with a not-for-profit healthcare system and doctors still recommend treatments like chemotherapy because, imperfect as they are, they have been scientifically proven to be fairly effective. And they still prescribe mainstream medication even though the system is set up to prevent them getting kickbacks from pharmaceutical companies (like pharmacies default to generics whenever availailable.
Yes. Like Eibhinn I live in Canada and have greatly benefited from our health care system. And I owe my life and my eyesight to evidence-based medicine. I owe my continued well-being to a drug which was created by medical researchers and for which there is minimal demand and next to no profit. It is also extremely inexpensive.

Another point: I don't understand the 'nature good, science (at least sometimes) bad' argument. It's a false dichotomy. Everything is in nature, including everything in science.

There is so much hucksterism and deception and sheer stupidity in alternative therapies, herbal remedies etc. that even treatments that are innocuous and possibly helpful --as adjuncts-- are suspect.

I sometimes think we're entering a new age of unreason.
Old 09-02-14, 10:50 PM  
Eibhinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlight View Post
I sometimes think we're entering a new age of unreason.
I have noticed this and it terrifies me. The Internet seems to be doing more harm than good at this point.
Old 09-02-14, 11:38 PM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post

I do find it odd that people consider sickness and especially death a failure of anything, be it god or medicine. The only thing every animal has in common is that we all die. It is not a failure, it is the truth. Our culture that makes money off of telling us we can control - pretty much anything- makes us believe we can control much more than we can in reality. We are going to die and there is no way to do everything right to make that different.
This is one of the wisest things I've read here (or anywhere) lately - thank you for the bracing dose of common sense.
Old 09-03-14, 01:09 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Yes, I would unfriend her.

I hope no one takes medical advice from message boards or Facebook, but rather, seeks out well-credentialed, experienced, and state licensed physicians for advice.
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative medicine, facebook, t-tapp, teresa tapp