Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-14, 03:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

These are additional reasons why I never clicked with her. During my couple of weeks trying out some of her early videos, she kept stopping one workout to spray something in her mouth that was supposed to give you boundless energy and cause your lymphatic system to drain, and make cellulite go away, or some outrageous claim like that. I Joni-O'd it and put the kit on Ebay.
Old 09-01-14, 03:47 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
These are additional reasons why I never clicked with her. During my couple of weeks trying out some of her early videos, she kept stopping one workout to spray something in her mouth that was supposed to give you boundless energy and cause your lymphatic system to drain, and make cellulite go away, or some outrageous claim like that. I Joni-O'd it and put the kit on Ebay.
Did she sell the spray on her site?

I was annoyed by Debbie Sieber's shakeology talk in Sin6. It wasn't excessive or anything, but it annoyed me anyway.
Old 09-01-14, 03:57 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I don't use facebook, but it sounds like unfriending is a good idea. I love T-Tapp workouts, and really benefit from her alfalfa, but since I went to a workshop of hers (maybe two or three years ago.) I noticed she seems to be shilling a lot more stuff than she used to. In the past, the products she was promoting was at least stuff that she carefully researched and vetted (and even then in one case I still wondered, but decided to let her be about it). But now, it all kinds of supplements.

I almost lost complete respect for her when at the workshop she promoted some crazy soap. The only thing I will give her is that she stood by it saying it helped her personally with her MRSA in her skin (that she now has due to being hospitalized.) But I secretly believed it was either some toxic substance or placebo effect.

I will say the workshop was amazing. She should stick to workouts. She is brilliant there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I know what you are talking about. That made me sooo mad too.
Old 09-01-14, 04:01 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Christina, I understand how you feel. I know I miss a lot by not being on Facebook but in instances like this, I'm glad I'm spared the unpleasantness.

I don't like pseudoscience.
Old 09-01-14, 04:13 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If all these miracle cures worked, no one would be overweight, have any disease, have insomnia or lack energy during the day.

I have to admit I've fallen for some things a time or two, but there's no way I'd avoid a doctor if I had really bad symptoms. Steve Jobs did that, and it didn't work out so well for him.

I'd unfriend her, but you must make your own choice.
Old 09-01-14, 04:23 PM  
donnamp

I think your decision to unfriend her comes to this - how much do posts like these bother you? If you are able to ignore them and focus on the other stuff she posts that interests you, you don't need to unfriend her, but if this is really something that has changed your perspective/feelings about her and is not something you can ignore then you should unfriend her.

Not meaning to be controversial here - but what are Teresa's credentials any way? I remember trying her method and reading her book, but I don't recall ever seeing anything anywhere that listed her raining/education/experience/credentials, etc. I could possibly have missed it though.

Donna
Old 09-01-14, 05:42 PM  
LaCatrina

I'm not on FB, but as the niece of two breast cancer survivors I find this beyond appalling... it's terrible.

While my aunts doctor did recommend some complementary non-mainstream options to increase their well-being, they did follow a comprehensive treatment with an oncologist.

Look at what happened to Steve Jobs. My mom is a surgical pathologist, and she told me that he could have survived for well longer had he followed proper treatment.
Old 09-01-14, 06:17 PM  
fitmommy

Another instructor whose shares the initials of Cathe's favorite eggs is about to be unfollowed and unfriended for posting quackery. She is otherwise knowledgeable and great, but some of the stuff she says or shares is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

For some reason, this made me lol. Figuring this out was the most thinking I've done all day
Old 09-02-14, 12:13 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post
I'm not on FB, but as the niece of two breast cancer survivors I find this beyond appalling... it's terrible.

While my aunts doctor did recommend some complementary non-mainstream options to increase their well-being, they did follow a comprehensive treatment with an oncologist.

Look at what happened to Steve Jobs. My mom is a surgical pathologist, and she told me that he could have survived for well longer had he followed proper treatment.
In Teresa Tapp's defense (and backtracking a bit from earlier comment), she herself is a breast cancer survivor - at that workshop I went to (I think Fall 2012?) she had gone through aggressive chemo the year before. In her talk, she did say that it is her belief that her faith is what got her through it, which is partly why she is saying things like that.

In addition, her mother died of breast cancer when she was a child, and she said that that experience brought her closer to God although it devastated her to lose her mother, she saw that as a failure of medicine not a failure on the part of God or her mother, and as a child she had a dream to be a doctor to find a cure for cancer. As a college student she ended up going to exercise physiology, which started out her the training that eventually led developing T-Tapp (she claims her work experiences and exposure to what physiology labs in Europe were doing were also a big part). I think a few years ago, she started working with some cancer clinics to develop a T-Tapp variant that cancer patients can do to help their specific situation (somehow.)

So I don't think she thinks you should forego allopathic medicine, just that in her experience allopathic medicine went hand in hand with her faith, which led to her healing. And she references some of the studies around placebo effect to try to back that up. You may not agree with her experience, but I wouldn't minimize it, since she went through it. I also think each of us gets to decide what we think. Some of Teresa's religious talk turns me off too (in a general sense), but I respect that these experiences are her authentic experience I wouldn't deny her that. In addition, she seems very open minded and doesn't try to shove her religion down anyone's throat, so I respect that she has an experience different than mine at times. I am really grateful she developed the workouts for what they have done for me, and I think we are really lucky that she is still with us to keep teaching.
Old 09-02-14, 08:22 AM  
TamiT

I happen to follow Teresa's personal FB and I follow her business T-Tapp Total Workout FB. Yes, on her personal FB she posts all kinds of things from food, pets, crafts, fitness stuff, nutritional stuff, GMO stuff and alternative health stuff but I never really thought of it as promotional. It's more like she "shares" stuff so we can be aware and make our own decision. I don't find anything offensive but if someone does then by all means defriend. There is so much on FB I'm sure you an find another place to find better info for you.

I also happen to know that Teresa is a big advocate of traditional medicine. I work for a large hospital in Chicago (I manage the mammogram department) and they brought Teresa in 4 years ago to teach us about exercises to optimize lymphatic circulation and decrease inflammation. It was a community outreach to the general public too with promotion for early detection with mammograms. She told us that T-Tapp was part of a large 5 year clinical study with Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC and that they teach T-Tapp exercise classes to both their patients and offer to the general public.

I heard that she had a breast cancer scare a few years ago but I don't think she had any chemo and I remember Teresa saying that her mother died from brain cancer. She's been involved with traditional cancer groups for a long time. She told us that she originally created T-Tapp for cancer patients to help accelerate elimination and help decrease severity of side effects.

I'm guessing that study should be finished or soon to be finished. I do know that Memorial Sloan-Kettering is a very conservative, traditional treatment hospital so I look forward to hearing more.
Closed Thread

Tags
alternative medicine, facebook, t-tapp, teresa tapp