Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-14, 01:41 PM  
loverly7

Skogg system

Please talk to me about the Skogg system. I have been eyeing it forever. If I buy it, I would justify the cost of the system and the kettlebells by knowing DH would get a chance to try it too. What do you like about the Skogg system and what do you not like about it? Thanks in advance.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 02:26 PM  
Yelly

Anytime I have a favorite instructor it's always because they are a good teacher, and I can learn something from them. Skogg is my favorite Kettlebell instructor. He's a master at teaching you proper form, which is absolutely crucial for kettlebells. Being that I live in a tiny town in Montana, and don't have access to live instruction, Skogg is the next best thing, imo.

The pros about his system are also the cons - He teaches you the 6 basic moves, and he teaches them well - but it's still only 6 moves. For some, I can see how that may get boring after a while (it wasn't for me). When you're ready to move on though, you can always sign up for Virtual Skogg, which I just subscribed to, and I'm like a kid in a kettlebell candystore!!

hth!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 03:02 PM  
Zenara25

I agree with Yellys' description about the Skogg 5 DVD set. Here's a link to a free Virtual Skogg workout. I plan to try this one soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0ehi9C-TtM
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-14, 09:05 PM  
Just_Jo

I would have to agree with Yell as well even down to the small town.

Skogg never got boring to me, because the four workouts were different. Plus, all you need to do is up your KB weights and you forget about being bored! LOL And I had RESULTS, both fat loss and muscle gain.

My DH and I did it together for four months a couple years ago. He enjoyed it as well. (I lost over 40 pounds in that time!)
Just_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 02:25 AM  
loverly7

Thanks for the replies. After watching the YouTube video that showed an entire workout I don't think it's for me. I am super picky on strength training. The only thing I have ever found for strength training that I like is Les Mills Pump. I thought I would like kettlebells, but after watching the link I don't think I would. Thanks so much for your responses. It saved me a lot of money in the end
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 04:28 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Skogg is my favorite Kettlebell instructor. His workouts are fun, challenging and fun.
I was totally hooked on his Virtual Skogg website for a while. The variety is amazing.

Check out his Skogg at Home dvds! Taken from the Virtual Skogg classes and are A++!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-14, 05:41 PM  
Eibhinn

Your mileage will vary, obviously, but for me

Pluses: Really good instruction, I appreciated that each workout had a warm-up and cool down (why do so many kettlebell people omit this?) and that there was some variety to that (ie. not the same for each workout). I really liked Michael Skogg's on-screen presence - it was low-key, but motivating. The music seemed appropriate and didn't annoy me. I also like that Level 1 of the system is appropriate for people at a lower level of skill and fitness, because that's really uncommon for traditional-style kettlebell workouts.

Minuses: I got bored of the format very quickly, and couldn't get that far into a rotation over several attempts because I would burn out on the whole thing. When you get down to it, you're doing workouts pretty much every day that are variations on the same six moves, and that turned out to be not nearly enough variety for me.

Context: I prefer traditional kettlebell workouts, and don't need the instructor to be very perky, but they have to have some personality. I enjoy Lauren Brooks and Anthony Deluglio, but find most of their stuff too advanced to use as presented. I found Andrea Ducane too dour.
One of my most used workouts of all time is the 12/13 minute long workout on Lauren Brooks first DVD, which I can use over and over again without getting bored of it. I also have used Tracy Reifkind's swing workouts, which are just swinging over and over again and while I got bored of them eventually, it happened less quickly than with the Skogg system.

Verdict: Ultimately, while I really like Michael Skogg, I wish I had been able to just buy the instructional DVD, because I learned a lot from it and have no regrets about having purchased that, but the rest of the system ended up being a bit of a waste for me. If I'm honest, I regret the purchase.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 01:12 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I consider the Skogg system one of my best purchases ever. Even if I didn't love them (I do), it would have been worth the purchase for my husband's sake. These are the only exercise videos he will use (though he always calls them Kettledrums instead of Kettlebells for some reason).

Tags
skogg